Battery life

coldhardtruth

Reaction score
Stock battery. Eclipse on 902.

44055330-5af7-301e.jpg

Sent from my Eclipsed Bionic

HDG55

Reaction score
Interesting. I was complaining about my battery to my son who has the same Bionic. He lives outside the city with 3G but works inside with 4G. His comment is that he gets double or at least 2 days of battery life if he's at home but if at work all day he has to plug it in. I asked if I could switch my phone to 3G and he said no.:frown:

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
Interesting. I was complaining about my battery to my son who has the same Bionic. He lives outside the city with 3G but works inside with 4G. His comment is that he gets double or at least 2 days of battery life if he's at home but if at work all day he has to plug it in. I asked if I could switch my phone to 3G and he said no.:frown:

From your homescreen click menu/settings/wireless and networks/mobile networks/network mode... and checkmark the CDMA only setting...this not only sets your phone to 3G but also stops it from searching for LTE connections... major battery saver... and you can go in and switch it back to CDMA/LTE when ever you need the 4G speed

Goonit

Reaction score
I've had my gnex since a week or so after release.. I recently bought the extended battery so I could get a couple more hours of juice out of the battery. Well it was performing fine for a while, but now I can't even make it through an entire day on 3G only! It's really starting to pass me off. I would understand it if I was constantly using the phone, but a majority of the day while I'm at work all it does is sit there.

The phone seemed to somehow use 50% over 8 hours of basically just being on standby / idle. Just wondering if anybody else is having retarded battery issues. Figured I would check here first before wrestling with Verizon about it.

Also, I don't really have any widgets on my homescreens that require data, and usually the only time I actually turn on the screen is to quickly clear out my notifications from getting new emails, etc.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Honestly I've noticed if I turn my screen down to 20-30% brightness and make sure to set the screen time out to 30 seconds I can get a good 17-19 hours out of it. 4G doesn't even seem to be a battery drain for me, my screen is almost always 50% of the battery usage.

View attachment 49273

I wonder if you're in between 4g/3g service and your phone is always searching for a signal? Could result in losing a lot of battery during idle/screen off.

Post a screen cap of your battery usage if you can, will help us pinpoint the main issue.

Last edited:

shaggykid

Reaction score
Hmm you should try wiping your data and cache. System idle shouldn't be pulling 50%

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Goonit

Reaction score
I'm turning off my 4G so it's not searching for the lte signal.

Also, I'm running stock still. I just haven't gotten around to rooting and flashing it. Haven't really found a guide I like and I'm not sure if I trust the one-click software that's out there.

Good idea on the brightness though, I'll give that a whirl.

captdroid

Reaction score
One of the things I like about AOKP is the screen auto brightness custom level settings. I am able to dial the brightness settings down detailed many levels, still see the screen fine, and save more battery. Much better auto brightness level control compared to stock.

Goonit

Reaction score
What is this aokp you speak of. I have no idea where to even start as far as gnex roms go.

nleksan

Reaction score
I have had significant battery issues as well, and I have mitigated them somewhat by doing the following:
- Screen Brightness set at 25-30%
- Screen Timeout set at 30sec
- "Disable" ALL APPS that you Do Not Use (as well as: DRM_Protected_Storage, VZW Backup/Login, Talk, TTS, Maps (re-enable it when needed), Email, Exchange Services, etc)
- Have any Weather/Email/etc apps set to check for updates every 3-6hrs instead of 30-90min
- UNLOCK AND ROOT
- GummyJar Nexus ROM (slightly undervolted)
- CLEAR CACHE AND (some) APP DATA WEEKLY (cache every 2-3 days)
- Reboot Phone about 3x/week
- USE WIFI WHENEVER POSSIBLE (I turn off 4G and use WiFi whenever possible)
- When you first turn on your phone, immediately open the camera app and then hit "back" to exit; then go to Settings-->Apps-->All Apps and "Force Close" the Camera

I always keep "Sync" and "GPS" and the like turned OFF unless I am using them for a specific purpose.

It has given me about an extra 45-60min of screen-on time per charge!

LegalAmerican

Reaction score
Seems absurd that you have to do all of that for your phone to last a day on 3g. That's the reason I went with the Maxx. ICS and the GNex looked awesome, but it wasn't worth it to me to sacrifice on so many other aspects just to make the battery last.

I know some people claim to get 3 days with heavy usage, but I've never seen it myself on other comparable phones....

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Seems absurd that you have to do all of that for your phone to last a day on 3g. That's the reason I went with the Maxx. ICS and the GNex looked awesome, but it wasn't worth it to me to sacrifice on so many other aspects just to make the battery last.

I know some people claim to get 3 days with heavy usage, but I've never seen it myself on other comparable phones....

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums

You don't have to do anything but turn the brightness down to 30-40% to get a whole day out of the Nexus on 4G, as seen with my post and screenshot.

Some people just go to extra lengths because they can and like to squeeze out as much as they can from the battery.

It also greatly depends on what they use their phone for. If they're streaming netflix or playing games with the screen on for 4 hours straight it won't matter what you do, the battery will die quick.

Last edited:

captdroid

Reaction score
You don't have to do anything but turn the brightness down to 30-40% to get a whole day out of the Nexus on 4G, as seen with my post and screenshot.

Some people just go to extra lengths because they can and like to squeeze out as much as they can from the battery.

It also greatly depends on what they use their phone for. If they're streaming netflix or playing games with the screen on for 4 hours straight it won't matter what you do, the battery will die quick.

Yup for sure... check out this guys post... he is using AOKP and faux 15m kernel and keeping the brightness down... 2 days and 5 hours on screen on time... lol

GN-LTE[Hybrid-3.0.26] ICS4.0.2/3/4/Pre-UV,OC,TUN,CIFS,OTG,FIOPS(v015)[Apr-13] - [CDMA] Galaxy Nexus Development - RootzWiki - Page 207

Last edited: