Does Bionic's lack of RAM matter?

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I think I read somewhere that the Atrix also has DDR2. I don't think the Bionic is going to get webtop. They said all phones after Q2 and the Bionic is supposed to be released before then so my guess is with only 512mb it'll never see webtop.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I had the same thought.

There's been a ton of disappointing news lately on upcoming phones. It's almost like companies are careful not to make a phone that has EVERYTHING. There's always something missing.

I totally agree with this. My dream phone will never exist because they always leave one thing off to make you buy the next great thing.

They will give you just enough!!! If they made your perfect phone then you might not come back after 1 or 2 years to get another phone.

SnydersWeb

Reaction score
They will give you just enough!!! If they made your perfect phone then you might not come back after 1 or 2 years to get another phone.

Well that and if we had it where we could go down the list and check every option we possibly wanted some of these devices would likely become prohibitively expensive.

The other thing is right now the pace of mobile technology evolution has entered a period of explosive growth. I want things now in my next phone (Bionic) that were not conceived of at the time I bought my Droid 1 on release day.

With the pace so fast, that's where it helps to be patient with your choices - getting the best you can, hanging onto it for a while, and then jumping to the next thing when it's a big enough upgrade all around rather than improving on just one or two things.

redirwons535

Reaction score
I think I read somewhere that the Atrix also has DDR2. I don't think the Bionic is going to get webtop. They said all phones after Q2 and the Bionic is supposed to be released before then so my guess is with only 512mb it'll never see webtop.

I have also read that the Atrix has DDR2 as well, and im pretty sure that moto said the Bionic would be getting webtop (not ready at release) just a few days ago. Im in the same boat as most of you, looking at this phone the only thing making me second guess it is the 512mb. I honestly don't think that moto did this to keep you buying phones, i just think that if they do one little thing like that in every phone they save/make a ton more money on the scale that these things are selling. I'm also sure that In the end it will be enough memory as they also dont want you to hate there product and jump ship. I just dont know if the bionic's features list is really enough to make me upgrade from my droid x...who am i kidding

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
So it does matter?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Not in the least. The ONLY reason this came to light is because tbe Atrix has 1gig. People fail to realize that the Atrix is running a whole other OS ontop of Android so it needs it. The Bionic will be more than capable. Dual Core w/ DDR2 should make for one heck of a handset.

Droid--->ether--->this thread

trailblazen

Reaction score
So it does matter?

Not in the least. The ONLY reason this came to light is because tbe Atrix has 1gig. People fail to realize that the Atrix is running a whole other OS ontop of Android so it needs it. The Bionic will be more than capable. Dual Core w/ DDR2 should make for one heck of a handset.

+1

-------------
and redirwons535, i wouldn't worry about the 512mb DDR2. It runs more efficiently and on less juice than the regular DDR that the TB and every other phone before the Bionic/Atrix so will out perform due to this fact.

leakim13

Reaction score
So it does matter?

Agreed.... Once its rooted :)

Living Free, hopefully not Dying.

ericdabbs

Reaction score
I think right now 512MB DDR2 RAM might be sufficient but I still think they should have made it 1GB. This will ensure this phone is update to date for the next 2 years.

With 512MB RAM, this phone might be good for 1 year as apps begin to take more and more memory. I would have felt more comfortable if the bionic came with 768 MB RAM at least just like the thunderbolt.

Despite the lack of RAM, I still plan to get the droid bionic since I like the rest of the features and the impressive battery and I want to switch to verizon (from sprint) before the unlimited data runs out.

OP
WindedBison

WindedBison

Reaction score
Yea I'm starting to come to terms that while 512 MB of RAM isn't PERFECT, it should be more than sufficient for a smart phone. I mean, Xbox 360s only have 512 MB (GDDR3 granted) and they obviously have no problem playing games, streaming video, etc. If only Moto didn't give the Atrix the full gig, the Bionic's RAM would probably be a non-issue.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter.

The thing about phones is, you aren't performing ram intensive tasks 99% of the time.

Say you did loads of photoshop work on your computer and you also liked doing some video encoding at the same time, then you need lots of ram.

If programs/aps are properly made, without memory leaks, a phone in this decade will not need more than 512mb.

As the others have mentioned, with a partition, the dual chips are needed as different OS' are being used, so it's not that they're needed as much as they're just physically needed to run a partition.

Aka, the bionic will run fine, dual core is much more important than increasing ram at this point. It will allow you to run multiple aps, much more smoothly, as their processing power is increased, their ram needs stay the same.

Reaction score
And its better ram that requires less power... another point for bionic battery life :p

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

mokitaco

Reaction score
If RAM is not important, why does the thunderbolt have 768mb?

trailblazen

Reaction score
Heh, because it utilizes older technology RAM so requires more to keep up. Bionic uses DDR2 which for a phone is a jump in technology so it runs faster on less power than the thunderbolts ram.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Heh, because it utilizes older technology RAM so requires more to keep up. Bionic uses DDR2 which for a phone is a jump in technology so it runs faster on less power than the thunderbolts ram.

This

And their average users think "bigger number = automatically better"

It also doesn't "need" 768mb, that's just the chip they decided to use for the phone. Many decisions go into why they choose a piece of hardware for each phone, performance is probably low on that list.

They can use older tech, that has a bigger number, performs similar and at a lower cost.

You can probably see how this usually occurs...

j0Ny

Reaction score
Doesn't matter.

The thing about phones is, you aren't performing ram intensive tasks 99% of the time.

Say you did loads of photoshop work on your computer and you also liked doing some video encoding at the same time, then you need lots of ram.

If programs/aps are properly made, without memory leaks, a phone in this decade will not need more than 512mb.

As the others have mentioned, with a partition, the dual chips are needed as different OS' are being used, so it's not that they're needed as much as they're just physically needed to run a partition.

Aka, the bionic will run fine, dual core is much more important than increasing ram at this point. It will allow you to run multiple aps, much more smoothly, as their processing power is increased, their ram needs stay the same.

Very interesting post. So you are saying that the amount of ram that each app uses is always the same? Tought it was variable i.e. the same app can consume different amount of ram each time it runs.