Is the Laptop Dock the Culprit Behind the New Droid Bionic Form Factor?

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Is the Laptop Dock the Culprit Behind the New Droid Bionic Form Factor?

Another Article I found..

Is the Laptop Dock the Culprit Behind the Impetus for a New Droid Bionic Form Factor?

I am hoping that the phone stays 4.3" I really do not want the Laptop Dock. It will ruin the phone. If They Do the same with this phone that they did with the Atrix!! 512MB DDR2 for the phone and 512MB DDR2 for the Laptop Dock.

If they do that with this phone It will be a deal breaker for me... This phone does not need a Laptop Dock!! Just straight up 1GB DDR2 Ram only All Phone.

akhi216

Reaction score
I guess I can agree with that. I would like the Webtop/laptop dock capabilities as well though. It would be nice if they were generous enough to put in 1.5 GB of RAM to take care of everything.

Sent from my PG06100 using DroidForums

allan1313

Reaction score
I am not sure how these webtop things work exactly, but couldn't they just put 1 gig ram in the phone and 1 gig ram in the webtop? Make them separate? Just a thought.

Also I think the only way the webtop works is if it is a reasonable price. If you want me to shell out say $300 for the Bionic on a 2 year contract, I would not buy the webtop unless it is $150 or less, otherwise I would save up and get a nice tablet.

akhi216

Reaction score
I am not sure how these webtop things work exactly, but couldn't they just put 1 gig ram in the phone and 1 gig ram in the webtop? Make them separate? Just a thought.

Also I think the only way the webtop works is if it is a reasonable price. If you want me to shell out say $300 for the Bionic on a 2 year contract, I would not buy the webtop unless it is $150 or less, otherwise I would save up and get a nice tablet.

I hate to be a Negative Nancy but that would total 2 GB of RAM in the phone and that's unheard of. But it make sense considering that Motorola is working on a new OS (obviously for Webtop since they stated that they were committed to Android and the Webtop OS isn't Android) and could raise the bar for other manufacturers. Actually it makes perfect sense. Why skimp on the hardware to match a competitor when you can make a device that stands out from the others and offers more abilities? And Motorola said that they wanted the device to have bleeding-edge specs (what's not bleeding-edge about 2 GB of RAM?).

akhi216

Reaction score
They should spice up the Webtop and laptop to make it more...well...attractive. I'm talking along the lines of adding a printer as well as a blu-ray player...hey it's supposed to be a superphone right lol? Honestly they should get around to doing that by the time phones with quad-core processors drop.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
How much is that retarded webtop dock again, like 500 bucks? If I wanted to spend 600 to 750 (depending on price of the phone) bucks for a LAPTOP, Id get a LAPTOP.

Motorola is thinking too far ahead on this one...its just a gimmick/toy

akhi216

Reaction score
How much is that retarded webtop dock again, like 500 bucks? If I wanted to spend 600 to 750 (depending on price of the phone) bucks for a LAPTOP, Id get a LAPTOP.

Motorola is thinking too far ahead on this one...its just a gimmick/toy

That's just because it's like a first generation hardware/software. I don't know if you had the G1 (First Android phone) when it was running Android 1.0 but compared to today's Android phones and Gingerbread that was quite a leap.

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I doubt it's the laptop dock. It seems that the statements made a few months back by Motorola insiders about an "unfixable flaw" with power management for the Etna, the codename for the phone that was supposed to be the Bionic, were true. That's further evidenced by the fact that Motorola has also delayed the Xoom LTE upgrade. Evidently LTE and the Tegra 2 don't play well together.

The Targa, which is the code name for the phone that is now believed to be getting the Bionic name, was leaked out before Motorola scrapped the Etna, and was originally supposed to be a phone that was released later this year (fall maybe). Now it's going to get the Bionic name slapped on it. In order to save face and not cancel the Bionic, they're simply putting the name on a different phone and calling the differences between the two "enhancements." By all accounts, the Targa was supposed to sport features beyond the Etna, so it will probably have some improvements. Maybe not as many as originally planned since they're having to bump it up for an earlier release.

It's entirely possible that the Targa will support WebTop and the dock, but that's not the reason for the Bionic's new form factor. The reason is because it's an entirely different phone than they originally showed off.

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState
I doubt it's the laptop dock. It seems that the statements made a few months back by Motorola insiders about an "unfixable flaw" with power management for the Etna, the codename for the phone that was supposed to be the Bionic, were true. That's further evidenced by the fact that Motorola has also delayed the Xoom LTE upgrade. Evidently LTE and the Tegra 2 don't play well together.

The Targa, which is the code name for the phone that is now believed to be getting the Bionic name, was leaked out before Motorola scrapped the Etna, and was originally supposed to be a phone that was released later this year (fall maybe). Now it's going to get the Bionic name slapped on it. In order to save face and not cancel the Bionic, they're simply putting the name on a different phone and calling the differences between the two "enhancements." By all accounts, the Targa was supposed to sport features beyond the Etna, so it will probably have some improvements. Maybe not as many as originally planned since they're having to bump it up for an earlier release.

It's entirely possible that the Targa will support WebTop and the dock, but that's not the reason for the Bionic's new form factor. The reason is because it's an entirely different phone than they originally showed off.

Black_man_X said on Twitter: u cld call it a hybrid.. more of a refinement to meet bleeding edge specs and hopeful use smaller lte radio.