Do I need to remove Forever root to get the OTA?

Hodor

Reaction score
Will the ota fail or go thru? I've been searching but I can't seem to find a 100% definitive answer? Heck, it's been so long since I forever rooted I can't remember how I even did it now lol. That's what old age and too much Pink Floyd will do ya kiddies hehe

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Hodor,

I found one case where one gent said his did work with forever applied. It will probably be a little time before anyone can say with 100%. The file you are talking about is the mount_ext.sh file. If you did not save a .bak file of this when it was edited, you would have to edit the file, AND leave the cursor in the exact correct position with the right number of blank lines for the md5 to match. So a bit of a crapshoot, if the OTA asserts on this file.

Craig

OP
Hodor

Hodor

Reaction score
Thanks Craig!
I decided to try the update without un-rooting and I can say conclusively that it did NOT work. I found the file (I did have it backed up) and restored it, and tried again, and that did not work either. Then I tried using the zip file from the flash card (with Superuser on temp unroot) and that failed too. At that point I got tired of messing around and didn't want to wait for the ota again, so I just used the House of Bionic and rooted with it too, so now all is good with the world again!

Kudos to Samurai, he's the man!

Suuperflie

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem and I am also 4ever rooted. I was told that it was the safestrap that has everything screwed up and that I needed to fxz back to .905, even though I'm still stock .905, to fix what safestrap screwed up. Is this true, or do we know that it's definitely 4ever root that is messing things up?

Larock14

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem and I am also 4ever rooted. I was told that it was the safestrap that has everything screwed up and that I needed to fxz back to .905, even though I'm still stock .905, to fix what safestrap screwed up. Is this true, or do we know that it's definitely 4ever root that is messing things up?

I had to undo 4ever root to get the install to work. Otherwise it kept failing. Once I restored the backup file, everything was good. If you didn't save a backup just delete the last three lines (below) in mount_ext3.sh located in the /system/bin folder.
chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
chmod 4755 /system/app/Superuser.apk

You can save Root with the app "Voodo OTA" and restore it after the update. Very easy!!!

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Hodor,

I was afraid that this would end up being hit or miss for folks. I do not know exactly how the update checks for changes, but I think a lot of us were in the same boat with forever root with perhaps small changes. In my case I used the HOB to try and save data, but I found that ICS borked my 64 gig card, and while the HOB method took, my media was all messed up. I ended up wiping everything and doing a clean install with HOB. I tend to think that with a major update like this, it is best for folks to wipe everything. It is a drag to have to set everything up again, but it sure beats trying to run down little glitches that might arise by not wiping.

Craig

yearn

Reaction score
I just accepted the OTA update tonight and i cant get motofail to work. Ive tried it on mass storage and MTF. Ive got usb debugging enabled.
Any ideas?
**EDIT**
Oops, sorry,just tried RAZRs Edge root and it worked perfectly

Bear in NM

Reaction score
What do you mean by "ICS borked my 64Gb card"? Never heard of that and I've been around the leaks since day one.

Alt,

I ordered two 64 gig cards off amazon for the about 55 dollar price. I attempted to install them on 905. The first card I immediately reformated from the EXT2 format to Fat32 using a program, and the phone on 905 would no longer see it, nor any of my PC's. I took the second card and installed it directly in the phone, and got the corrupt/reformat menu. I did so and let 905 reformat it. All was good.

When I did the HOB, I had erased all of the media off the card to avoid the several hour media check. But, the phone sat on the media update portion for almost 3 hours. I had read of significant issues with ICS and the 64 card with some phones, so I decided to just kill the update to ICS. When I pulled the card to try and read it in my PC's, the card was borked. I had to reformat it, and now only have 27 gig available on the card.

So honestly I am not sure 100% it was ICS, but it was working fine in 905. And I am not compltely sure if the media update portion of the ICS install actually reformats the card or just goes through all of the files, but something did happen to me. There were very few media files on the card, so I was just guessing that after about 3 hours of waiting, I was truely "hung". If you want to get really confused, try reading the reviews of the various 64G card suppliers on Amazon. My next card will probably be full retail from a trusted source. I did learn that the first thing to do when getting a card is confirm exactly how it is natively formatted before making a decision as to proceeding.

Craig

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Why would you guys FXZ back to 905 when the 246 has an FXZ?

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Mustang,

No one was recommending the FXZ per se, but Suuper's post was on the 23rd when I believe the FXZ had not been released. At that time, the HOB was the only surefire method, with the OTA for rooted folks being a crapshoot. I am not sure anyone would recommend the FXZ to 905 anymore, nor should they.

Craig

altspeed

Reaction score
Dallas, Lone Star Republic, North America, Terra
Bear in NM said:
Alt,

I ordered two 64 gig cards off amazon for the about 55 dollar price. I attempted to install them on 905. The first card I immediately reformated from the EXT2 format to Fat32 using a program, and the phone on 905 would no longer see it, nor any of my PC's. I took the second card and installed it directly in the phone, and got the corrupt/reformat menu. I did so and let 905 reformat it. All was good.

When I did the HOB, I had erased all of the media off the card to avoid the several hour media check. But, the phone sat on the media update portion for almost 3 hours. I had read of significant issues with ICS and the 64 card with some phones, so I decided to just kill the update to ICS. When I pulled the card to try and read it in my PC's, the card was borked. I had to reformat it, and now only have 27 gig available on the card.

So honestly I am not sure 100% it was ICS, but it was working fine in 905. And I am not compltely sure if the media update portion of the ICS install actually reformats the card or just goes through all of the files, but something did happen to me. There were very few media files on the card, so I was just guessing that after about 3 hours of waiting, I was truely "hung". If you want to get really confused, try reading the reviews of the various 64G card suppliers on Amazon. My next card will probably be full retail from a trusted source. I did learn that the first thing to do when getting a card is confirm exactly how it is natively formatted before making a decision as to proceeding.

Craig

Craig, been through the format song and dance with cards. Go to sdcard.org and get the format tool. Should be problem solved.

Pat

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Pat,

Thank you most kindly for the link. very very much. I am headed out for a week of vacation, so I was gonna wrestle with the cards when I get back. I will absolutely use the format tool from the website to see if I can do a little CPR on my cards. If you do not mind me asking, which format are you running on your 64 with ICS? I thought Ext2 or 3 was not supported by ICS due to licensing disputes with MS. I did read at least one person reporting Fat32 with 32K allotments, but in my quick scan of the webpage you provided it appears this may not be a good choice for the 64. I have also read reports of folks toasting their cards, so I have my fingers crossed that the drivers I downloaded and the format tool may work for me.

Thanks,

Craig

jsc230

Reaction score
Successful update with root.

I managed to keep my root by:

1. Get Voodoo Rootkeeper from the market and run it.
2. Remove forever root by replacing the backup for the mount_ext3.sh using root explorer.
3. Run the update.
4. Run voodoo root keeper and restore your root.

Thus far it all seems to work just fine. Titanium backup is running great, and root checker verified I had root. I guess my step one should be run a full backup in titanium backup, just in case.

I am by no means an android expert, but this worked for me.

I only have one question, should I reedit the mount_etx3.sh file to restore my forever root? I refroze my updater so that I wouldn't accidentally apply an update without knowing it.

Joe