Getting back to OTA upgrade path, retaining root, 901 installation

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
You need to flash the cdt.bin from 901 to fix that. Extract it from the 901 update zip and then do:

fastboot flash cdt.bin cdt.bin

From a cmd prompt. You need fastboot and cdt.bin in the same dir.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

krakozhianjoe

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick reply!

Could you clarify the cmd prompt? I was just typing that in under start->run and then pasting commands but it gave errors everytime. Where can I find instructions on doing a cmd prompt?

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I can try. The pathsaver that you extracted would be a good place to start. If there's already a cdt.bin in there rename it to cdt.bin.old so that you don't lose it. Then extract the one from 901. Now open start and find the command prompt icon. Right click on it and say run as administrator. Wherever you extracted the pathsaver to, CD to that directory in the command prompt. Then type the following:

fastboot flash cdt.bin cdt.bin

See if that works for you.

krakozhianjoe

Reaction score
It makes sense to me now. I was not overwriting the file in the folder... just used RSD lite and am currently rebooting. You guys are incredible. Thank you for the assistance. It should be noted that TWO folders are needed. I was attempting to use ONLY the BionicPathSaver folder which was giving me problems... I was unclear of what was required to restore. What a lesson. Glad to deal with it and gain a greater understanding. This community is outstanding and for those who consistently help others just diving in, you should now pat yourself on the back.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I'm glad you're back up and running. Given my experience with my own bionic a few weeks ago I know how frustrating it can be when things go wrong during flashing. Now nandroid backup that thing. :)

pkjeeps

Reaction score
Saluting...I remember what u went thru..I went thru it next day but only 2 hours..and still didn't have root..so I did it again...I did.t have to type any commands..good thong cause I still don't know how y'all are doing that..but I had the visit file from bob my problem would up being that I didn't extract the fix far enuf down into the pathsaver file..cause u have to extract and then extract some files that were in the first zip...I was in process of downloading the fix ur bionic file when I figured this out..playing with this stuff with u guys was only good part of my holidays as I had to stay home cause of work while the rest of my family was off visiting family...but...ummmm...now im kinda bored as nothing new has happened in 3to wish...lol...what rom do u run...I am on kin3tx..and really like it..but would like something that will be getting updates.

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Still stock 901 rooted. Waiting for ics roms to work on 4g.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
does anyone know where to find the 5.9.901 update zip file now?

Here's what I did to get .901. You have to be at OTA 5.5.893 for this to work. Some of this you may have done in the past; this was gotten for a newbie.

You can get it from Blur_Version.5.5.893.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip. Be sure you have the Motorola drivers installed from USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA on your PC.

1. Go to Menu>Setting>Applications>Development and check "USB Debugging."
2. Plug phone into computer.
3. Press "Mass USB Storage" from the list of choices. Two drives will show up. One is MOT (Internal Storage) and the other is Removable Drive (SD-EXT).
4. Put the downloaded file on the root (ie main area) of SD-EXT (not internal storage). No need to change the name or extract it.
5. Eject both MOT and Removable Drive and disconnect the phone from your computer.
6. Power phone down
7. Reboot into stock recovery (adb reboot recovery) by holding Power and Volume Up/Down at the same time.
8. When the robot appears, press both volume keys in at the same time.
9. Select “apply update from sdcard” using the volume keys, then Power to initiate it.
10. Using the Volume keys, choose the file that you downloaded above, press Power and let it load.
11. When the install is done, press Power. It'll reboot, but it'll be longer than normal (a few minutes)

BigE"s DROID

Reaction score
When i do this method i get install aborted....not sure how this phone was rooted or what version it was on when it was rooted(bought phone used) any idea what i can do to get back to stock??

km75

Reaction score
I did everything according to the steps. I'm stuck in fastboot with an "invalid cg version (cg:cdt)": Can anyone help me? I'm not sure I'm understanding how to run the cdt bin file.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I have followed every form of instructions so far and have had zero luck with any of it as far as rooting goes. I have up until someone has a sure fire fix in one post. I think I've tried six different methods and none of them can get root. I hate the option of asking for a replacement since I have been through six bionics just to get a good one that has zero problems.

"But WHY THE RUM?!!"

ydal251

Reaction score
Home Screen

Ok i just followed the process but didn't install .901. I booted it looks like everything works fine SU opens and works but none of my 5 home screen tabs have anything on them. Is this normal? Did i mess something up? Do i need to 43v3r root then install the .901 off the sd? or is it already 43v3r rooted?
I started the process on .901 and had to apply the fix.
Thanks

Last edited: