Getting back to OTA upgrade path, retaining root, 901 installation

jkliving92

Reaction score
That's what I figured, since a ROM flash doesn't touch the radio... I just never used a ROM that wasn't based off my current OTA, if that makes sense..

It makes sense. Haha.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

MdicnMan

Reaction score
Before I doing something stupid I thought I would see if anyone has tried to get back to 893 with the PathSaver tool. I need to do a warranty return for my rooted 901 and want to get it back to unrooted stock.

If not, any thoughts on how to go back safely?

jkliving92

Reaction score
Before I doing something stupid I thought I would see if anyone has tried to get back to 893 with the PathSaver tool. I need to do a warranty return for my rooted 901 and want to get it back to unrooted stock.

If not, any thoughts on how to go back safely?

If you want unrooted 893 use the original pathsaver script. It will still try to root but it wont succeed. If you use the runmebb.bat fix it will root you while running 886 before flashing the boot.img allowing you to update to 893. If you stopped the runmebbb.bat script before the rooting process you'd miss the boot.img flash and 893 will fail. Just run runme.bat instead of runmebbb.bat. that should keep you unrooted.

MdicnMan

Reaction score
If you want unrooted 893 use the original pathsaver script. It will still try to root but it wont succeed. If you use the runmebb.bat fix it will root you while running 886 before flashing the boot.img allowing you to update to 893. If you stopped the runmebbb.bat script before the rooting process you'd miss the boot.img flash and 893 will fail. Just run runme.bat instead of runmebbb.bat. that should keep you unrooted.

Thanks. As I understand it, even if I do this, I will still not be 100% clear of 901. I wonder if I can just unroot 901 and call it good? Is that possible like it was at 893? I figure it was an OTA it should be okay no?

EDIT: Used the RSD Lite method to 886. Then recovery to 893 with no root. Off to warranty the phone. Man do I love this community!!

Last edited:

Stevet86

Reaction score
I've been reading this and other posts about getting back on the upgrade path and I'm a bit confused. My version is 5.5.893.XT875.Verizon.en.us and kernel version is 2.6.35.7-g68606e6. Do I need to run this script to get back on the OTA path or am I already on it? My phone is not rooted and I have never installed the 5.9.901 update. I am looking to stay at 5.5.886 to try it and wait for my phone to receive .901 when it gets pushed. Thought I'd ask before running scripts, just a bit noobish on the Bionic processes

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
Quick question... I'm on 5.5.893 rooted and I deleted a whole load of bloat and other stuff... will this return me to stock 893 with all bloat so I can receive 901 OTA whenever it comes around... I don't want 901 yet... my 893 runs perfect...

So in other words... can I use this to restore all my deleted apps?? Or do I have to restore my apps some other way?

jkliving92

Reaction score
I've been reading this and other posts about getting back on the upgrade path and I'm a bit confused. My version is 5.5.893.XT875.Verizon.en.us and kernel version is 2.6.35.7-g68606e6. Do I need to run this script to get back on the OTA path or am I already on it? My phone is not rooted and I have never installed the 5.9.901 update. I am looking to stay at 5.5.886 to try it and wait for my phone to receive .901 when it gets pushed. Thought I'd ask before running scripts, just a bit noobish on the Bionic processes

Nobodys certain 901 will be pushed out. It was never supposed to be pushed to the people it was pushed to. You should be able to just download and install the the 901 update in stock recovery giving your stock system. If you don't want to be rooted that is.

jkliving92

Reaction score
Quick question... I'm on 5.5.893 rooted and I deleted a whole load of bloat and other stuff... will this return me to stock 893 with all bloat so I can receive 901 OTA whenever it comes around... I don't want 901 yet... my 893 runs perfect...

So in other words... can I use this to restore all my deleted apps?? Or do I have to restore my apps some other way?

It restores everything to stock 886, including bloat, and roots. If you want to stay on 893 you'll have to update again after the script. The updates are in the download though. And there's no telling if 901 will even be pushed out. It was an accident that anyone got it in the first place.

Stevet86

Reaction score
Nobodys certain 901 will be pushed out. It was never supposed to be pushed to the people it was pushed to. You should be able to just download and install the the 901 update in stock recovery giving your stock system. If you don't want to be rooted that is.

If I run the script to get back on 5.5.886 and root, I can stop at that point and not install .901...correct and thanks for the reply

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
It restores everything to stock 886, including bloat, and roots. If you want to stay on 893 you'll have to update again after the script. The updates are in the download though. And there's no telling if 901 will even be pushed out. It was an accident that anyone got it in the first place.

Thanks for the reply... that's why I ain't dickin around with 901... to many odd stories about how it was a mistake and now I'm hearing the battery life ain't so great either... which is my whole reason for rooting right now!

PbSandman7

Reaction score
I am a bit of a noob as well.. a little confused with a couple things. Since the update hasn't hit OTA, maybe won't ever, are you guys losing root upon flashing the 901 update manually? I am currently on 5.5.893, 4ever rooted, safestrap, TB, Root expolorer..blah blah etc. I was wanting to flash the Theory Rom but can't quite tell from reading through that thread if its compatible with my current setup, and/or if I need to flash 901 for the goodies. I don't want to lose root though either. Loco's process is incredibly informative but seems like a pain to do if its really not "needed". Not sure what to do.

OP
locofocos

locofocos

Reaction score
Haha yes, completely a pain, lol. I just wanted every random piece of important information out there in one place. That was from taking the leaked 5.7.893 update. If you're on the latest OTA with forever root, all your bloat unfrozen, system stock, etc. it should install without a hitch in stock recovery I believe. What we're mostly getting from 901 is a better kernel and radio.

Stevet86

Reaction score
Ran this script with the runmebbb version, everything went smooth. I didn't install the 901 version just to wait and see what goes on with official updates. Now off to find what bloat and apk files can stop from running. Thanks again for all of the information!

GlenBoRTR

Reaction score
Ugh, DHacker's Bionic site is off-line (I heard that he was jumping ship on the Bionic :frown: )... does anyone know how I can get the 43v3rRoot program??? Or if that's not available, how can I keep my root when I upgrade from .893 to .901.

I've been working on my phone for 2 days now, and I really don't want to screw things up AGAIN.

krakozhianjoe

Reaction score
Seriously need help... used one click to get to .901. However, I was not rooted. Wanting to root and having a nice 3-day weekend, I figured I would give it a try going BACK and trying again from completely stock. I am stuck at the AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S) (Invalid CDT) screen. The error, listed twice, is "Invalid CG Version (CG: cdt). I have read through and tried everything I see and I must be doing something wrong (8 hours now of fiddling). Please help, almighty community! I tried the RSD method etc. Is there literally a completely noob friendly way to get out of this? I don't care what version I end up with, just not bricked! What info is needed?