Data Plans and Grandfathering Question

Badadio

Reaction score
Is it true that the original Droid will not be grandfathered with the same data charges if we upgrade to a 4G/LTE phone such as the RAZR? I really don't wanna spend more than 30 bucks for data if I don't need to and, if that's the case, I will just use my OG Droid til it stops working.

Last edited:

lobo13

Reaction score
I don't know where that was heard. But I believe if you have unlimited data now then you should be able to be grandfathered in. That's what they told me when I was thinking of making the Bionic update. Now I am thinking of going Droid Razr instead.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
As per VZW, they will grandfather all new devices to unlimited 4G..for now. Probably will change sometime next year.

Cinoib

Reaction score
I carried my unlimited to the Bionic a month ago. In fact, after SqLiting the Bionic, I got paranoid and bought the unlimited data plan because I could (my guess is that they were likely to do away with that). So as it stands, I have unlimited for both the Bionic and tethered hotspot.

Trash Can

Reaction score
As per VZW, they will grandfather all new devices to unlimited 4G..for now. Probably will change sometime next year.

Yep, probably when VZW deems 4G/LTE is available "everywhere". I'm planning on upgrading next month, most likely getting the Razr. I don't want to wait and have VZW tell me "sorry, you have unlimited 3G data. If you want 4G, you'll be on a tiered plan." If unlimited 4G data is that important to you, lock it in while you can.

lobo13

Reaction score
Planning to do the same as post above. I think sooner or later they will not grandfather you in. So I would like to get in on that before they do that. We seem to have the same phone as well :p Guess we think alike.

OP
B

Badadio

Reaction score
So, does 4G cost more or will it still be $30/month like the 3G unlimited plan?

catfisher

Reaction score
Unlimited data is one of the big reasons I still roll with Verizon. I imagine if they remove unlimited they will lose some people.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon rep told me the other day for now and foreseeable future you are grandfathered in ..i have a 4g device and if they ever go tiered i will just buy new phones off ebay or something like that ..

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Uh....they have gone tiered. Where were you 3 months ago?

leewhite336

Reaction score
Is it true that the original Droid will not be grandfathered with the same data charges if we upgrade to a 4G/LTE phone such as the RAZR? I really don't wanna spend more than 30 bucks for data if I don't need to and, if that's the case, I will just use my OG Droid til it stops working.

I still have my old Alltel plan lol unlimited text pics and data for 1 low price. :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

leewhite336

Reaction score
I still have my old Alltel plan lol unlimited text pics and data for 1 low price. :)

But at one time didn't Verizon have 2 different price plans for 3g and 4g phone. If so Do they still do that and what are the price differences?