Cyanogenmod

elvyrorie

Reaction score
I know that this may sound like a silly question, but I've googled it and can't fine an answer. Why is cyanogenmod not available for the droid 2. I've read that the bootloader is locked, but I thought that there was a way around that. Forgive me if I sound silly, but I'm an accountant not a developer.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
Running the lastest version of fission and loving it.

mjones1052

Reaction score
It is because of the bootloader. Cyanogen ROM's really need access to the whole phone. We have a way around recovery, called bootstrapping, but the bootloader and kernel is something different which we haven't actually tackled yet, but it is getting close I hear. But we have overclocking and ROMs and custom recovery for D2, which is a big step, but we still need bootloader and kernel, which is the big 2.

OP
elvyrorie

elvyrorie

Reaction score
Thanks that answers my question. Thanks for the quick reply.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It is because of the bootloader. Cyanogen ROM's really need access to the whole phone. We have a way around recovery, called bootstrapping, but the bootloader and kernel is something different which we haven't actually tackled yet, but it is getting close I hear. But we have overclocking and ROMs and custom recovery for D2, which is a big step, but we still need bootloader and kernel, which is the big 2.

THe only way we can get around the bootloader is if moto give us the key...the group that was tackling unlocking the bootloader packed it in.

crome1115

Reaction score
lol and thats why my next device is going to be the new (corney ass name) thunderbolt on verizon.. basically a vzw version of the evo 4g with supposed better specs.. but we will see. i loved my eris when i had it but could never get it rooted.. got the droid 2 free so been using it and fell in love with it.. loving the roms but there are soooo many other roms out there not available like cyanogen and ud and other for the og droid that its a little disheartening..lol..oh well.. might take an og just for kicks and giggles..

cydetrakd

Reaction score
i got my droid2 for an early christmas present and at first was skeptical of owning the device but after having it for over a month and trying out all the roms and always going back to squidly its not that bad. Sure i would love to have more options especially some new kernals so we can REALLY overclock the phone but after running squidlyrom i couldn't go back to my og droid there is a difference in speed and smoothness and i even got the og droid oc'ed to 1.275 with cm 6.1.2.

At first i missed my CyanogenMod but now i just miss the features like compcache and the dropdown power control. Everytime i touch my fiancee's droid it's just sluggish and plus it's hell getting dungeon defender to run on it with the damn swapper2 method. She loves the og droid but my new android love is my d2 atleast for a year since i figured that i bought my og droid in february along with a lg envy touch for her and not too long after more powerful devices came along i'm sure if i wait it out for the 2nd gen of 4g devices i'll be more happy instead of taking my annual upgrade on my main account in February.

So there is no more hope of the locked bootloader ever being cracked? Is there anyone out there still working on cracking it or is it a loss cause?