crappy battery after OTA

AllForNaught

Reaction score
I'll see if mine reboots, I'm about to shut 'er down for the night.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

AllForNaught

Reaction score
Observation: My phone right now has been on for 18 hours, and I just got the 5% notification, but my battery bar has been in the red for about 4 hours.

Jenaht

Reaction score
I have tried several suggestions including factory reset, tips to recalibrate battery, etc. Doesn't seem to be fixing the battery issue. I don't mind the factory reset however; it will probably be cleaner after all of the installing/installing of apps over time.

But sure wish could get this battery drain issue resolved! I'm hoping that there will be some sort of patch that gets sent out. Or perhaps my battery is shot and the new one I'll be getting soon will be the trick. (not holding my breath tho). I did read somewhere that on a few days the battery should adjust itself but.....

I am resistant to rooting because I am not confident that I won't mess up the phone. I certainly wish that I could find more helpful suggestions rather than rooting. I know I'm not alone in resisting doing it.

M

Mwsr

I have an extended battery 2200mah from Verizon. I charged full and just went in red after only 9hrs and 22 min with moderate use. This is crap.

can + string on 2.1

AllForNaught

Reaction score
Alright, well guess what: it must be a scant few of you having these issues. I just checked in today with two co workers with fascinates, and 2.2, and when I asked, they didn't notice any difference.

Disclaimers abound on droid phones regarding 3rd party apps and potential negative impacts on performance, which is neither Samsungs nor Verizons responsibility.

So my guess is it's your apps. Try going back to your stock launchers. All those kinds of apps run over top of the stock apps, which means more battery depletion. The upgraded OS being faster, it's just gonna drain even more juice using layered 3rd party apps.

Don"t know what else to do to help. 6.5ish hours, 81% charge. Loving the extended 2.2 battery life on mine.

tenacious bee

Reaction score
I concur on the apps. As I said in my previous post. It is the only variable amongst users. No launcher here though.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

nuch14150

Reaction score
Went to the Verizon...talked to a techie he said u should always do a factory reset after a major update. So he did it with me and it's been 3 hours since. Battery life regained!!!! I've been getting apps and syncing info and on Facebook and only dropped 3-4% of battery life.

M

Mwsr

I have stock launchers and not many apps. What app are you guys using to get your battery percentage?

can + string on 2.1

AllForNaught

Reaction score
I have stock launchers and not many apps. What app are you guys using to get your battery percentage?

can + string on 2.1

I use the internal phone status. It's completely accurate down to the phone's built in 5% charge alert.

Last edited:

Jenaht

Reaction score

can + string on 2.1

I use the internal phone status. It's completely accurate down to the phone's built in 5% charge alert.

I tend to trust the internal phone too. I will say that might have spoken too soon earlier today after I did the reset. It *seems* like it's doing better. Plus my usage today has been similar to what normally do. Some browsing, twicca, facebook, etc. Some app installs - been putting my stuff back on. But time will tell.

As far as a launcher I do use the GO LAUNCHER EX and it's way better than stock. Doesn't show up on battery stats either as draining. Been using that since I got the phone few months ago. I also installed fewer apps after reset. That may change....!

Last edited:

Jamis0n

Reaction score
Its an OTA, What do you expect?

Evil Fascination 3.3.2
OTB-reloaded @1.3

tenacious bee

Reaction score
The same problem free experience that every other ota I have done?

Looks like a factory reset will do it. Apparently the virtual machine can be corrupted. I found this and a some other stuff during my search that support the reset being a good idea.

"I've seen a lot of issues being posted that were fixed by the above with other phones -so rather than post it everywhere, I've pulled out the few posts and have made a new thread of it. Best luck! PS -Bottom line -they have yet to get the update process correct on Android. The Dalvik Virtual Machine (the part of the system that makes Android Android and not just Linux) has some cache and data areas that end up tangled and dirty on MANY phones after an update. Rooters know -most rom and kernel install instructions tell you to clean these areas. The requirement doesn't change just because you're not rooted -it simply gets hidden. Your rom was just updated. For best performance, Dalvik cache/data needs to be wiped clean. And that is done with a factory reset -instructions above include many tips on how to back your stuff up and restore it so you don't lose anything. As I mentioned -you as a group will be best served by working together and refining the procedure for your Fascinate."

My wife has no data on the internal memory so it is easy for me to do. I will do the reset before I leave for work and report the result around 8 pm this evening.

Last edited:

AllForNaught

Reaction score
Lol, sorry, but 'OTA' problems are well documented on this site, and 'problem free' doesn't seem to be a reality.

Peruse some of the Droid X, Incredible, and others for a laundry list of post-OTA issues.

Great post though. I hope people give it a shot.

tenacious bee

Reaction score
I see. This is only my second android os ota. The droid x ota caused no problems. Neither did the several WM and handful of BB os updates I have done. As the info I posted suggests. It's a Droid thing. LOL.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The reason you are experiencing a bad battery after the update has nothing to do with the update. The problem is you, the user. ;)

No, I didn't say user error. I'm saying is that you got an update and now you won't put your phone down. Display stays on longer, battery use goes down.

Every update I've ever seen on any smart phone, Blackberry and Android has always produced many threads about the battery, so far on this one there have been two. Only in one update did I ever see a thread saying the battery life improved and right underneath it was a thread saying the battery life had dumped.

Within 2 or 3 weeks after the update this becomes a non issue because you're not using your phone as much. Face it smart phone battery life is not great anyway and the number 1 draw of battery life on any phone is display. So you keep turning it on to check the battery which keeps using more battery, etc.

I'm not saying don't experiment with your phone with an update, of course everyone does that. I'm just trying to share my experience with this particular issue. Once you get over the new OS you'll see the battery life get back to "normal." I've even seen some people who seem to think that the phone and battery "adjust" to the OS in time, but that really doesn't make sense. So just be patient, when you stop playing with it you'll use less battery.