CPU usage this morning

Adam74

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
I was just reading about some Wakelock app in another section of the forums. It might help... I couldn't help but wonder... Where was this darn app a week ago! I wonder about this app discussion. That would explain why an adjustment to a single app seemed to fix my issue. But then my question becomes why do I clear cache on the phone and then clear app caches? Why wouldn't that do the same thing??

TriciaH

Reaction score
Are you referring to Wakelock Detector? It is handy and it did indicate when Gmail went insane and ran the battery down and the phone temp up. But I just looked at it (yep I have that on here too) and it does not indicate Media Server wakelocks that I can see right out of the bucket. You might have to drill down into some processes to see it. My wakelocks today have been minimal yeah!! If I fixed it, its too bad I have no clue which of my trial and error things did the fix lol. WLD is showing Audio Guru at the top of the list right now with 1 minute and 52 seconds.

TriciaH

Reaction score
On the caches, I think the phone cache and the app caches are too separate entities. I know in Android Assistant, under Tools, there is a clear cache button. I asked on the Moto forum if that would clear the phone cache (like we do in Recovery) and they said nope - it clears app caches only. It might be a good thing that clearing the phone cache does not clear all the app caches.

avenged61973

Reaction score
On the caches, I think the phone cache and the app caches are too separate entities. I know in Android Assistant, under Tools, there is a clear cache button. I asked on the Moto forum if that would clear the phone cache (like we do in Recovery) and they said nope - it clears app caches only. It might be a good thing that clearing the phone cache does not clear all the app caches.

After reading through all of this mess again I believe that picture and music files cause media wake locks, and old app settings cause media server wakelocks. I wish they would come up with a better update process so we wouldn't have to go through all of this!

I think from now on when I update im going to backup with titanium backup, fdr, install the update, fdr again, reinstall apps without user data from google play, then use titanium to restore user data to just certain apps like games. The only thing I havent been doing is reinstalling my apps from play store. I just used titanium to do a batch restore and I think that might have created the mess I had.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD

TriciaH

Reaction score
The strangest thing is tho that I got the Christmas Miracle (i.e. erroneous JB push) and had none of these problems. That was supposedly an unfinished update. It was a lot more stable than their "finished" update. Today has not been bad battery wise - I am at 89% and it has been off the charger for 7:17 minutes. I should note that GSam has had my average battery life at 2 days 13 hours for months and months with normal use and since the final JB it has dropped by 3 hours which, in the grand scheme of things, is minor. It's not like I am not near a charger and have never had to charge during the day. I guess its the point of the whole thing lol.

I like your ideas for the next update and I may follow your lead. However, I think this will be it for the Razr and Maxx. I bet you a dollar to a donut that we do not get KLP on this phone. I got this one on GB and it updated to ICS almost immediately after I bought it. ICS was so extremely stable. Can't say that much for JB ;)

avenged61973

Reaction score
No I dont think ghese phones will get another update but for future phones I think thats the protocol im going to follow. There is no way I will ever buy an apple product and I dont really care for the windows phones. I really like android I just wish updates went smoother.

OP
aarong03

aarong03

Reaction score
Well I did an FDR this afternoon. Now after restarting the phone i have a battery % showing in the notifcation bar. Not the Gsam one, but it's next to it. I uninstalled Gsam and it was still there. I'm not sure why it is there. Any suggestions on how to remove it. It wasn't there prior to the FDR.

View attachment 61587

avenged61973

Reaction score
Well I did an FDR this afternoon. Now after restarting the phone i have a battery % showing in the notifcation bar. Not the Gsam one, but it's next to it. I uninstalled Gsam and it was still there. I'm not sure why it is there. Any suggestions on how to remove it. It wasn't there prior to the FDR.

View attachment 61587

Thats strange! Do you have any other battery apps installed? It doesn't look like a gsam icon.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Update....

OK, this is interesting... For most of the day my phone was ok but then I noticed that the battery had suddenly dropped from 80% down to 60% and the phone was warm. Checked apps again and media and google services were again showing a lot of data use. I went back into g+ to check and upload photos was still turned off. Puzzling.... However, I decided to log out of g+ and then got a message telling me that I still had pictures and videos uploading! I went to my g+ account and saw that hundreds of pictures had still uploaded since I had turned off auto upload.

I accepted the warning and logged out of g+. Once again, things seem fine.

other things to consider are dropbox, motocast and facebook. Turns out I had picture uploads set for dropbox as well. It is now turned off as well.
David

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Guilty!

Screenshot_2013-03-29-16-26-28_zpsc175d9f1.png

This is what was going on even after I turned off auto-upload. Look at all that uploaded data! No more problems since signing out of google+

David

TriciaH

Reaction score

View attachment 61587

This icon looks like the GSam razr eclipse icon you can download from the market. You are speaking of the blue one with the line down the side correct? I know Gmail will continue to try to sync long after you tell it to stop too. That was the cause of my phone hitting 111 degrees and battery sapping. It was my own fault tho - I told the wrong account to sync...I won't make that mistake again.

OP
aarong03

aarong03

Reaction score
This icon looks like the GSam razr eclipse icon you can download from the market. You are speaking of the blue one with the line down the side correct? I know Gmail will continue to try to sync long after you tell it to stop too. That was the cause of my phone hitting 111 degrees and battery sapping. It was my own fault tho - I told the wrong account to sync...I won't make that mistake again.

I figured it out. It was from quick settings app. Thanks,

TriciaH

Reaction score
Well re-installing the apps after clearing the cache didn't work either. Media Server has kept the phone awake for over 9 hours today. In going thru permissions, I would have to remove half of the apps I use that keep the phone awake. Which would defeat the purpose of a smart phone. At almost 17 hours of use I am still at 64%. I am about ready to give up. This is an exercise in futility I fear. Wich I could just kill that stupid process.

OP
aarong03

aarong03

Reaction score
Well re-installing the apps after clearing the cache didn't work either. Media Server has kept the phone awake for over 9 hours today. In going thru permissions, I would have to remove half of the apps I use that keep the phone awake. Which would defeat the purpose of a smart phone. At almost 17 hours of use I am still at 64%. I am about ready to give up. This is an exercise in futility I fear. Wich I could just kill that stupid process.

FDR and erased internal memory. Now here is the battery performance. Still not sure what was causing my battery drain. Kernel is still running but not draining my battery.

View attachment 61606

View attachment 61605

avenged61973

Reaction score
That's what it's supposed to look like aarong. The kernel will take the most battery when the phone is idle. Good job hope it works.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2