CPU usage this morning

Adam74

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
Amen to TriciaH... Media, Kernal, Wakelock....

TriciaH

Reaction score
The last time mine ran the battery temp up was over the last weekend when it hit 111 degrees. The battery was dropping like a rock and the phone was too hot to touch. It was suggested that I download Android Assistant and go into Tools, Battery to see what was sapping it. In this case, Gmail had gone berserk and once I force stopped that, deleted all the messages on the computer then told the phone to re-sync it stopped. I do not have auto-sync turned on for anything at all so apparently I told it to sync at some point. But that app showed Gmail at some outrageous percent. Usually my battery does not get hot - just media and wake locks drive me up the wall.

Adam74

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
For some reason, a tweak I made yesterday to an app seems to have corrected my wakelock issues. Kernal is back up to nearly 60%. I seem to be making some progress. Don't want to jinx myself.

avenged61973

Reaction score
Media is the media server scanning for pictures, music, ringtone and so on. A good place to start to try and fix this is your external sd card. Move things like pictures to a folder on your pc. And format the sd card. An fdr is not a bad idea either. There are old files on your internal memory that media searches through that keeps your phone awake, such as thumbnails and cache from wallpaper apps.

I cleaned out my entire phone this past weekend and I am getting awesome battery life now. Media is no longer a problem.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
aarong03

aarong03

Reaction score
Media is the media server scanning for pictures, music, ringtone and so on. A good place to start to try and fix this is your external sd card. Move things like pictures to a folder on your pc. And format the sd card. An fdr is not a bad idea either. There are old files on your internal memory that media searches through that keeps your phone awake, such as thumbnails and cache from wallpaper apps.

I cleaned out my entire phone this past weekend and I am getting awesome battery life now. Media is no longer a problem.

Sounds like a great idea.

avenged61973

Reaction score
Sounds like a great idea.
Also if you download the RAZR utility for jelly bean you can re install after you clean out your phone. There is a thread for it under Droid RAZR hacks.

If you delete something you shouldn't have you can run that and get it back.

avenged61973

Reaction score
I think I will try formatting the SD card. Hopefully that will stop it. Thanks for the suggestion!!

No problem let me know if you guys need help I've been through this and got mine fixed.

TriciaH

Reaction score
Soo now I have another question lol. System (wake lock) i.e. mediaserver has kept the phone awake for 3 hours out of 11. But media is at 0.0% per GSam. System wake lock is at 8%. If media is at 0 does that not mean that it isn't searching for anything? If yes, why the wake locks? I am starting to sound like Edith Bunker.

avenged61973

Reaction score
Soo now I have another question lol. System (wake lock) i.e. mediaserver has kept the phone awake for 3 hours out of 11. But media is at 0.0% per GSam. System wake lock is at 8%. If media is at 0 does that not mean that it isn't searching for anything? If yes, why the wake locks? I am starting to sound like Edith Bunker.
Can you post a screen shot of the stock battery stats and one of gram. Media wakes your device at least it did on mine it was keeping my device awake constantly.
Have you done a fdr yet?

avenged61973

Reaction score
No I have not done an FDR. That will be a very last resort. View attachment 61531View attachment 61532View attachment 61533 Hope this works!

I would definitely say it's your media keeping your phone awake. It looks just like mine did last week.

If you formatted your sd card I would charge it to full and see if that helped, but if it didn't I would do an fdr.

If an fdr doesn't work. Plug your phone into your pc and check through all the files on your internal memory. I found that after 3 fdrs I still had old app files with thumbnails and cache that didn't clear out. Maybe it's just my phone but I thought an fdr was supposed to clean that stuff out.

TriciaH

Reaction score
That is what I thought too. If I move my SD card contents to the PC and format the card, won't there still be a chance of something corrupted going back on the card? I did delete two old apk files from the internal storage when I read your previous post. I too thought an FDR cleaned that out - supposed to take it back to out of the box state.