CPU usage this morning

TriciaH

Reaction score
Well I thought so too but its back up to 6.3%. I have played one game of solitaire and sent one text. Battery down to 88%. Back to the drawing board I guess. Or cry uncle and just live with it LOL. Just did another simulated battery pull but surely keep doing this all day long. Just want to see if that kills the process for a while. It started climbing when the phone was not being used. If I had had music going or something I would say yep its doing it intended job.

Last edited:

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
One thing I noticed on the kernel: if the phone is idle (like when I'm sleeping) the kernel usage upon waking is high (40%'s). As I use the phone it starts dropping. My thoughts: if you check the kernel usage after the phone has been idle for a long time it will be high because gsam is reporting that the kernel is practically the only thing using the battery, thus showing high %. As you use the phone other processes come into play and gsam reports those as increasing and kernel decreasing. I think JB allocates idle time better than ICS if this is the case.
I can't complain. Upgraded from .215 this weekend and haven't noticed a decrease in battery life. No major increase either :( Phone seems just as snappy and responsive.

Adam74

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
Very interesting point... That actually makes sense. Now that my battery has settled down, I can see that although the kernal % is high, battery drain hasn't been too terrible.

TriciaH

Reaction score
I will use that same theory for my media lol. Works for me! In reality, I believe I am just going to give it up. As long as I can make it thru the day, which I easily can, I will consider myself lucky. So using that theory, media server is the only thing using my battery when I am not using the device. I did notice, however that GSam will report System Media Server at like 18% and the stock battery stats will report it at 3%. That is a big difference. However, the keep phone awake time is the same - all the time. It has slept like 20 minutes all day lol. What do you give an insomniac phone?

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I will use that same theory for my media lol. Works for me! In reality, I believe I am just going to give it up. As long as I can make it thru the day, which I easily can, I will consider myself lucky. So using that theory, media server is the only thing using my battery when I am not using the device. I did notice, however that GSam will report System Media Server at like 18% and the stock battery stats will report it at 3%. That is a big difference. However, the keep phone awake time is the same - all the time. It has slept like 20 minutes all day lol. What do you give an insomniac phone?

Lunesta? :)
Seriously....just a guess.....try turning automatic synch off. Just an uneducated guess, but perhaps the phone is trying to synch contacts, pictures, music to vz backup assistant plus or Google and just isn't able to connect if you have a smart action to turn data off at night.

TriciaH

Reaction score
Sync is off. That was one of the first things I checked. I have no smart actions set up. I went into maps and disabled location and something else that it wants to keep updating. I used to use Backup Assistant but have not since before my DX days. I use Google. And that does not auto sync either. What is so sad is all the things that make this a smart phone are having to be disabled. There is something wrong with this theory. I also formatted the SD card last night and the phone contains a couple ringtones, six photos and zero videos.

Ok I'll give Lunesta a try. It did not like the Ambien I tried on it :icon_ banana: I thought about pouring liquid ZZZZZ Quil on it but that's just too sticky.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
TriciaH,
Several posts back you said you thought "media server" and "media" are two separate things, and I believe they are.
I found media server keeping my phone awake exactly the same amount of time that I have IHeart Radio running.
Media was giving me smaller useage and wake locks.
I'm no pro, but I had two things that I changed a couple days ago, and have seen an improved battery life. I was ready to do FDR 2 days ago, and now I may not.
Keeping an old theory in mind;
Apps and their respective settings on GB, may not have been set up optimally for ICS, and possible the same for the ICS to JB upgrade.
I uninstalled my eBay app, and IHeart Radio, cleared cache, and reinstalled them.
I chose those two because I use them both a lot.
I'm sure you don't use either one, but have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling any apps that you use? Even if you don't use them during the day when your battery is draining...
Even if there are apps that you don't use much would be worth trying a reinstall IMHO.
If you try, you may want to go to Settings-->Privacy
and un-check the "automatic restore". This will allow the app to be reinstalled without old settings (and data too).
I remember many threads last year suggesting that the ICS upgrade over GB, with apps left setup for GB was a possible cause for so many issues.

Mike
Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
aarong03

aarong03

Reaction score
TriciaH,
Several posts back you said you thought "media server" and "media" are two separate things, and I believe they are.
I found media server keeping my phone awake exactly the same amount of time that I have IHeart Radio running.
Media was giving me smaller useage and wake locks.
I'm no pro, but I had two things that I changed a couple days ago, and have seen an improved battery life. I was ready to do FDR 2 days ago, and now I may not.
Keeping an old theory in mind;
Apps and their respective settings on GB, may not have been set up optimally for ICS, and possible the same for the ICS to JB upgrade.
I uninstalled my eBay app, and IHeart Radio, cleared cache, and reinstalled them.
I chose those two because I use them both a lot.
I'm sure you don't use either one, but have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling any apps that you use? Even if you don't use them during the day when your battery is draining...
Even if there are apps that you don't use much would be worth trying a reinstall IMHO.
If you try, you may want to go to Settings-->Privacy
and un-check the "automatic restore". This will allow the app to be reinstalled without old settings (and data too).
I remember many threads last year suggesting that the ICS upgrade over GB, with apps left setup for GB was a possible cause for so many issues.

Mike
Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

I'm glad I posted this today. I thought maybe I was the only one with this issue. Here is my latest screen shot. Not sure why cpu is so high.

View attachment 61561

TriciaH

Reaction score
Good idea on the apps. I uninstalled a couple I had put on here after the upgrade that I wound up never using. There are a few I use all the time. I will try uninstalling them and reinstalling. Good idea!!

avenged61973

Reaction score
I forgot all about reinstalling apps good point! Now when I had this mess of a problem media, and media server were both sucking the life out of my phone. I broke down and did everything at once so I don't really know what fixed them both but it was probably a mixture of everything. Since everything was wrong. I think I am getting better battery life now than what I was getting with ics. I can go 17–20 hours some days with lite to normal use on a regular razr I am very happy with that. I hope everyone else gets their phones back to normal so we can all enjoy them again!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
aarong03

aarong03

Reaction score
I forgot all about reinstalling apps good point! Now when I had this mess of a problem media, and media server were both sucking the life out of my phone. I broke down and did everything at once so I don't really know what fixed them both but it was probably a mixture of everything. Since everything was wrong. I think I am getting better battery life now than what I was getting with ics. I can go 17–20 hours some days with lite to normal use on a regular razr I am very happy with that. I hope everyone else gets their phones back to normal so we can all enjoy them again!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yeah looks like I'm going to do and FDR again and reinstall my apps and see too.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Been having problems with this for the last several days but also noticed that my 7mbps home network had slowed to a crawl! I turned off all the connected devices in my home except my laptop and phone and was still very slow.

I had noticed that my battery too was getting quite warm and draining fast only when at home. I turned wifi off on my Razr and my wifi at home improved quite a bit so I knew it had to be something with the phone so I did some digging.

It looks like google+ and media are using quite a bit of data but I couldn't see what it was. I looked in google+ settings and it turns out that media upload was turned on and G+ was trying to upload several videos and photos from my recent vacation.

I went into G+ settings and turned off instant upload and things have improved tremendously.

David

OP
aarong03

aarong03

Reaction score
Been having problems with this for the last several days but also noticed that my 7mbps home network had slowed to a crawl! I turned off all the connected devices in my home except my laptop and phone and was still very slow.

I had noticed that my battery too was getting quite warm and draining fast only when at home. I turned wifi off on my Razr and my wifi at home improved quite a bit so I knew it had to be something with the phone so I did some digging.

It looks like google+ and media are using quite a bit of data but I couldn't see what it was. I looked in google+ settings and it turns out that media upload was turned on and G+ was trying to upload several videos and photos from my recent vacation.

I went into G+ settings and turned off instant upload and things have improved tremendously.

David

I don't use Google+, and I have it frozen with Titanium Backup. Is possible that it could still be running?

TriciaH

Reaction score
I have it disabled also - not frozen just disabled. I was wondering the same thing.

Is is me or does it seem like this OS upgrade requires an awful lot of work just to keep things running normally?

TriciaH

Reaction score
I took the reinstall app suggestion also. The three apps I use most I uninstalled, cleared the cache and reinstalled them. So far this morning I have 3.5 hours off charger and it has been kept awake for 13 minutes. That in itself is a big improvement. Will continue to watch it. Its boring here at work today and I have played a few games of solitaire so that might account for the keep awake...I dunno lol.