Could this Razr Maxx be a lemon?

jsullivan

Reaction score
I bought a Razr Maxx 7 days ago and I'm trying to decide what to do before my 14 days are up. I researched this phone for months before deciding to upgrade ( did it now to keep unlimited data). I love the battery life, size, and the speaker quality during calls. Unfortunately, this is what is still happening even after a factory reset and all downloaded apps have been uninstalled 1) the phone only rings about 25% of the time for incoming calls. I only get a missed call notification when it has rang. It usually goes straight to voicemail and I realize I've received a call when it beeps to notify me. 2) the phone does not hold a 4g connection and I live in an area with full 4g. I have a Samsung mi-fi device, that I've had for 8 months and it never loses its 4g connection. I tried going into the control panel and switching it to 3G only and it lost that connection when I tried to play a YouTube video. I can't play YouTube videos on 4g either. I am able to play videos on CNN with both 3G and 4g, when they're not dropping the data connection. I do have the most recent version of YouTube installed. 3) the phone worked well on wi-fi and never lost the connection BUT it was unable to sync emails from gmail, yahoo, and hotmail. It was also not able to run backup assistant. After switching off of wi-fi all the above have flowed without any problems. Any suggestions? Ideas? I already tried Verizon's tech support. When the woman told me to take out the battery I got discouraged for OBVIOUS reasons. I've sent the information in on the Motorola website last night and am hoping to hear back from them too. Thanks for any help you can offer.

diablo81588

Reaction score
Never heard of these issues. Try a factory reset, if that doesn't work, warranty claim.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

pinoy_92

Reaction score
like what everyone else said, take it to verizon till you are satisfied with your phone

fireman00

Reaction score
are you using Google voice? I had huge problems with it a while back with my original Droid. There was no way to delete the account, I could only remove the phone numbers associated with it. Once I removed Voice things worked fine.

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
im sorry to hear about your issues. but that made me bust out laughing when the lady told you to take out the battery. but she pro ably tells people to take there battery about a thousand times a day. i would goto the verizon corp store and ask them to reinstall the androjd system. maybe just a corrupted radio file or something in that area.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

lju64

Reaction score
If I ever call Verizon support, I always lie and say i've been troubleshooting some problems with tech support ( say you forgot the persons name) and ask to be transferred there. Works most of the time. Definitely beats talking to a moron for 30 minutes.

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
most vzw techs i get are pretty good. but sometimes you get ones that tell u to diall *228 on an lte phone...when u tell them no...they get mad until they figure out what they just told u lol

lju64

Reaction score
I was having service issues and the lady just kept asking me, is wifi on, is airplane mode on, over and over. She was a nice lady and I didn't want to be rude but come on.

OP
jsullivan

jsullivan

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for replying. I'll be heading to a corporate store first thing in the morning and will ask them to do all the things suggested and if it's not the right I'll get my "worry free" replacement. I've had good customer service from that store so hopefully that will be the case tomorrow. Regarding Google voice, as mentioned in a reply, I've never used it, wish I had, maybe I could have had an easy solution.

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
goog luck. i need to figure out how to tear my razr apart because the speaker phone speaker is almost blown

OP
jsullivan

jsullivan

Reaction score
I took the phone to the Verizon store today and they did a factory reset and put in a new SIM card. I received excellent customer service from a lady named Stephanie, will have to make a positive call about that. Cross fingers it worked, I've received two incoming calls that have actually rang so that's progress.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Just keep an eye on your 14 days. If the device acts up again, then its not a simcard error.

Then you'll want to return it and get a new device. :) glad its working for you though :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
glad to hear about your great customer care. thats hard to find these days.

Sent from my BLACK DROID RAZR using Droid Forums. Prepare to be impressified!!!!

OP
jsullivan

jsullivan

Reaction score
I will definitely be watching it closely until day 14 gets here. I don't want to ever be stuck like I was with the first Blackberry Storm, what an experience that phone was.