Could Samsung Change the Transport Business

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
How many people get into accidents because they are staring at their reverse camera screen in their car instead of looking around for other cars (like my wife did). This will be the same thing. Not checking other blind spots because they are focused on that screen in only one direction .

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It seems like a helpful technology, but with just about any other "safety" technology in a vehicle, it leads to lazier driving habits.

Backup camera, lane keep assist, emergency braking (can't remember the name off the top of my head), blind spot monitoring, etc. all these are great technology that should help aid a driver, but instead the driver becomes reliant on them and therefore becomes a lazier driver. Not looking over your shoulder when backing up, not adjusting mirrors properly, checking over your shoulder when changing lanes, and so on, all become dying habits thanks to technology.

I think this is one of the better ideas out of there, but again, it all comes back to the driver being less aware of other scenarios other than what's in front of them. The driver behind the truck could be paying too close attention to that giant distracting screen. I mean how many times have you had a car behind you while you were behind a truck? What if that car behind you decides to try to pass before you do and you're too distracted by that giant monitor on the back of the truck? BAM! You've been rear ended OR you've hit the side of someone else because you were more concerned of the traffic on the opposite ahead of you and not the driver that was behind you.

My daily driver has one technology I know I can't live without though (and it's the only safety technology in it), and that's the backup camera (doesn't even have trajectory guidelines). However, I do not rely on my backup camera to show me whether traffic from either side is coming or not, I still turn my head and look behind like you're supposed to. The camera is used for one thing, it's true purpose, parking. Parallel parking has become so much easier with it and so does backing into spaces if there are objects behind me such as a bush or lamp post.

People are careless enough drivers as is. Let's not add high speed mobile monitors to the mix, even if the intention is to save lives. Great idea, but I think Samsung underestimates the quality of drivers out there.

Just my .02

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not to mention, the cost of implementing this on a fleet of trucks. Then, you run into issues with the driver having to sync the camera on their cab with a new trailer for companies where they pick up an entire trailer somewhere, deliver it elsewhere, and pick up another trailer.

Safety wise, I think something like this could be helpful. We have a LOT of 2-lane highways in my area as well and only one of them offers any real straight stretch where its easy to pass a semi. Passing lanes never show up when you need them.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Not to mention, the cost of implementing this on a fleet of trucks. Then, you run into issues with the driver having to sync the camera on their cab with a new trailer for companies where they pick up an entire trailer somewhere, deliver it elsewhere, and pick up another trailer.

Safety wise, I think something like this could be helpful. We have a LOT of 2-lane highways in my area as well and only one of them offers any real straight stretch where its easy to pass a semi. Passing lanes never show up when you need them.
Exactly, it is one thing for a company like ups, Walmart, or FedEx to implement it but another thing to require independent drivers to. The only way this could work would be if the costs were cheap to where people could easily afford one but we know Samsung is not doing this for peanuts.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
And from what I took from the video, Samsung has put these on their own trucks? Makes sense. They only pay the actual manufacturing cost on the devices necessary.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Al the technology in the world does nothing to fix stupid. The more they come up with anti stupid the more ways humans will come up with ways to circumvent the anti stupid.
Dezy, I think the proper term for that braking thing is called anti-dumba$$ attempt. I mean in the commercials touting it on some Xuv they show the woman, with kids in the car, do just about everything stupid except text someone to tell about the scenery she's staring at instead of the road.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4