Samsung Is Finalizing Development Of Their Foldable Smartphones

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-flexible-display-smartphone-promo-1200x630-c.jpg

Samsung has been working hard on their flexible bendable displays for the past several years. In fact they started teasing what a bendable foldable display might be capable of. It would allow for us to carry around a tablet which we could fold in half and use as a phone. Samsung is finally getting towards the end of development of this new technology according to an unnamed industry source.

Samsung will apparently begin their prototype production in the third quarter of this year. They will even produce thousands of units to seed out to partners and carriers for feedback. The technology was also secretly demoed to select partners behind closed doors at Mobile World Congress according to the same source. The foldable smartphones my be ready for mass production as early as 2018. Other companies in China are developing similar solutions for companies like Lenovo, Oppo, and Vivo. Lenovo has already showed off early prototypes of a foldable tablet and a smartphone that can wrap around your wrist.

Samsung looks to market foldable devices as being "a step above" traditional smartphones. This means we can expect a "luxury" markup on these devices in the beginning. This is pretty standard for new tech. Early adopters end up paying the highest prices, and as the process for manufacturing the tech gets cheaper the and more competition emerges the prices are drastically reduced. Are you interested in foldable tablets and phones? I could see myself carrying a foldable tablet that could also be used as a phone. An 8" tablet that could fold into a 4.5" phone would be pretty useful, but would you be willing to pay several hundred dollars for a two in one type of device like this?

via ETnews

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I can't quite see the benefits of foldable phones. Larger screen and smaller battery? Exactly what we don't need.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The bigger problem I see are the dimensions folded and unfolded. I guess it wouldn't matter if there is no screen to interact with when folded shut (which would probably be a fail).

Otherwise, I don't think the dimensions work out for both in popular aspect ratios - it would have to be a tri-fold and then we might be talking.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Great to see new technology come out, hope it is awesome.
Looking forward to checking it out.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk