Return of the King! Nokia to make a comeback!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Nokia, in its day, made arguably some of the best candy-bar style cellphones.

Under the guiding eye of Microsoft, they've pretty much disappeared.

No more!

Nokia is trying to come back in a big way. Microsoft has penned a deal with FIH Mobile, a subsidiary of Foxconn, licensing the brand to a new company called HMD global, that will produce and sell Android smartphones, tablets, and etc. under the Nokia name.

What's also exciting about this news is that Arto Nummela, someone who moved to Microsoft when they acquired Nokia is set to be CEO for the brand. Nokia will also have a seat on the HMD global board of directors.

What do you folks think? Is there room in the market for Nokia to make a comeback? After this long out of the game, would you be willing to give a new Nokia device a chance? Do you think this new company will allow Nokia to be Nokia, or will we see something like the Lenovorola or HP/Palm sagas?

Source: Nokia is coming back to phones and tablets

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Of course there is room for Nokia. Hopefully, they will give Nokia a free hand to produce a quality device of their choice.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Never had a Nokia but I remember the one in Transformers. He was a mean little guy.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My first mobile phone was a Nokia. Back before hand helds, it was 3 watts of analog radioactivity with a plug to use it as a home phone and SMS capability before SMS was available in the United States. I also had (still have ) the first digital capable phone, again a Nokia, that fell out of my pocket when riding in an open door delivery truck at over 35mph and when I went back and got it there was a gouge in the side but I just popped the battery back on and it worked fine. The retractable antenna is about 10" long , the volume is loud enough where my dad (80% hearing loss) could use it without his hearing aid. That first candy bar one with the non retractable antenna was great on GSM and CDMA carriers but it was horrible for us CDMA users so I didn't have mine very long before switching to a Star Tac .
I'm not sure how Nokia will do in the smartphone world because there's really nothing left to bring about a huge desire for the masses unless they think of something nobody has thought of yet. Used to be their models usually had something new and cutting edge , such as the first internal antenna on a candy bar phone, but it seems only LG is willing to try something new and different on the physical side anymore. As Cliff said, Snake though a very simple game to play was bleeding edge in that a game built into a phone was unheard of at the time. I've got it on my smartwatch.
I hope they do great and don't just settle for more of the same with only slight shifts in design.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Snake Rewind is available on Google Play and is supposedly by the guy that made the original. I didn't particularly care for it myself, but maybe I should give it another try.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Snake Rewind is available on Google Play and is supposedly by the guy that made the original. I didn't particularly care for it myself, but maybe I should give it another try.
The nostalgia factor for me is my watch screen is about the same size as the phone screen I had and played it on.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Where do Nokia fit in this already saturated smart phone market?

One way Nokia could stand out is with a dual boot given their experience with Windows. Problem is dual boot may be too much for their market base.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Where do Nokia fit in this already saturated smart phone market?

One way Nokia could stand out is with a dual boot given their experience with Windows. Problem is dual boot may be too much for their market base.
Yeah. I don't see a market for dual boot with the masses. Just some nerds like us.

I think there's a place for them, but I think they have to be very smart about what kind of products they launch and how they do them. I hate to say they've only got one shot, because we all know that Foxconn makes that iPhone money, so they've got great backing, but I think people are going to expect at the very least, something that can compete with the flagships we're used to.

I do hope they go for a flagship device. A lot of what I'm reading says feature phone, which screams affordable to me, but doesn't scream top of the line or innovative.