Corruption on my Droid...can't install or update from Market

nateccnn

Reaction score
Two things happened yesterday that's got me a little flustered.

For some weird reason I was unable to update an app from the MArket. The download kept failing. Did not think much about it. It was an app I rarely use.

Later in the day I noticed weird stuff happening and it seemed to always occur when I was trying to write to the SD card. I was downloading USGS maps to my Trimble Outdoors app but the cache files would not stay put. It acted like it was downloading and writting them but later when I panned back to that area the map tiles was missing so it downloaded again.

So I decided to download all the files in a zip file and copy to the SD card. I could copy about ten files (each about 50kb in size) and then the copy function would fail. The droid was mounted by USB. I then pulled the SD card and placed it in a card reader and noticed I could not copy anything to it or from it. I could read from it just fine. All my music would play. Pictures display just fine in Gallery. The only issue was when it had to write to the SD card or try to copy from it. And I could not delete any files.

So this morning I loaded it in the card reader and I am picking one directory at a time to copy them to my laptop for backup purpose. I got into the 11th directory, a folder that contains more maps for the BackCountryNavigator program and it locked up tight after copying about 75% of the map tiles (theres 190,000 map tiles in that folder). Aha...there's got to be a bad sector or a corupt file in that directory. And I can't delete the folder.

Found one more folder that had a similar problem and I tried to cancel the copy function and it is locked up tighter than a drum.

I got most of my music and pictures and now I'm thinking it's time to try a format. If that fails I am off to find a good MicroSD card. I don't care how much it costs...I just want something reliable. Any suggestions?

Nate

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure this will correct the issue. Copy everything from the SD card to your computer. Reformat the SD card and begin copying the data back.

OP
N

nateccnn

Reaction score
So when I can't copy any more from SD Car5d through card reader I put the card back into the Droid, mount it and copy from there. I grabbed all my music in the My Music folder and it copied all but 4 albums then says that the drive is missing. I skip the last fou8r albums and un mount the card and the Droid says my SD Card is blank.

I'm getting close. It seems like I can copy some files for a while then the card gets hot and it stops working.

Only a few more files that are important to me. I'll have this project complete by the end of the week. LOL

Nate

OP
N

nateccnn

Reaction score
Alrightythen. Got all the important data off the card and onto the laptop. Can't format this card using Windows or the Droid. Trying to delete all the files just locks up. Looks like I am in the market for a new MicroSd card.

Off to bestbuy. Closest retail to me that carries them .

Nate

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
You have to unmount the card in the settings before you can format. Some phones don't like to format them anyway, but try unmounting it. If you STILL can't get it to work by yanking it from the phone and using a card reader, consider the card dead and get a new one because that's about the only thing you can do. Good luck! :)

OP
N

nateccnn

Reaction score
I did unmount the card before attempting to format. The format option is grayed out until you unmount the card. No way to even chose format until the card is unmounted.

I just tried formatting this card in my DSLR Camera and it said FU too. Figured I'd give it a shot since I had some time on my hands. Heading to lunch in about 30 minutes and will pick up a new card then. At least I was able to retrieve the important stuff from the dead card. Got lucky on that.

Will learn to do regular backups from now on. Last one I did was June. Bad, Bad, Bad!

Has anyone noticed any advantage to using a higher class card in the Droid? I've been told the phone can only read at class 2 speeds so it's a waste of money to get a class 6 or class 8. Any truth to that?

Nate

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I think class 4 is where it tops out, but don't quote me on that. It really isn't worth buying a class 8 unless you're planning on upgrading your phone soon so you can use it in one that CAN take advantage of the higher speeds.