Anyone know how does Verizon react to amount of data used on my phone?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's what I was told too - if it is approved on the market then it is ok to use (even if it is tethering).

Approved by Google does not mean approved by Verizon.

Same goes with rooting. There are apps on the phone that allow you to root and violate your ToS (yes, mcatdtDroid, that too is a violation). Just because Google says they're OK to go on the market, doesnt mean that Verizon has to allow you to use them freely.

It's not so much that you do it or dont do it, it's that you accept responsibility for your actions, if you're caught.

Edit: To answer the OP's original question, as long as the data you're downloading is FOR YOUR PHONE, then you have every right to download as much of it as you want, 5Tb or 5Tb, unlimited means unlimited.

ILovemyDroid

Reaction score
i was told by the verizon that rooting is not allowed. but the funny thing is the associate showed me his rooted phone. He also told me that i can use pda net with no problems. and i will not be charged. I also had asked a manger just to make sure he said no problems will happen. so its allowed. so i use pda net for internet and my neighbors open wifi for music and video. i also went a few hours to verizon a few hours ago. The verizon associate said he uses pda net to.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
i don't see it resolved just because some rep told you it was OK when your contract clearly says you can't do it. On the subject of Verizon dropping the case of the $18,000 bill, what I read said they deemed the bill "noncollectable". They sure did not say "yea, it is OK to tether now everybody".

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had a rep once tell me that a rattling lens from a broken camera was a "feature" of the phone, and not a manufacturer defect. Clearly reps always know the right answer.

OP
N

nateccnn

Reaction score
i was told by the verizon that rooting is not allowed. but the funny thing is the associate showed me his rooted phone. He also told me that i can use pda net with no problems. and i will not be charged. I also had asked a manger just to make sure he said no problems will happen. so its allowed. so i use pda net for internet and my neighbors open wifi for music and video. i also went a few hours to verizon a few hours ago. The verizon associate said he uses pda net to.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm guessing you misheard what the rep said. Motorola can't tell you you can't root. What they can say is if you chose to root then your warranty is void. And even that can be argued because federal law states that a warranty can't be voided by the mere fact that a user installs a thrid party part/application. They have to provide eviudecne that the third party part or app caused the malfunction in order to deny the claim. I'm not going to express my opine on that...I would love to watch the lawyers duke it out though.

So if you root, you own the phone. My repo told me that tethering is not supported on the Droid. She then told me where to go to get PDANet. She never said tethering is not allowed. She said it is not supported. You tether, you own it.

I did find in my contract (which I can't locate now) that it clearly states I can not connect my device to anopther deive with the intent of using the network connection on the second device...or something to that effect. I sent an e-mail to Vz yesterday asking them how I can sign up for Mobile Broadband and here is their response:

Good Afternoon Nate,

My name is Valerie and I would be happy to provide information on the Droid and if it is compatible to tether to your computer. This is a great question and I also want to thank you for your valuable time in sending us an email.

I reviewed the Droid and unfortunately this is not supported. Here is information on how tethering works.

The Mobile Broadband Connect feature provides Internet access utilizing your handset as a modem by tethering it to your laptop via a USB cable and VZAccess Manager Software, which is available for download at the following website:

www.vzam.net

Once at this site, you can also view the devices that do support tethering.

For additional information on the Mobile Broadband Connect feature, please visit the following link:

Mobile Broadband Connect

Nate, I hope my information on that the Droid does not currently support tethering has been helpful and resolved your inquiry. I do also want to thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you today. I appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this e-mail.

Sincerely
Valerie
Verizon Wireless
Customer Service

If you have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and deleting it and all copies and backups thereof. If you are the intended recipient and are a Verizon Wireless customer, this response is subject to the terms of your Customer Agreement.

-----Original Message-----

SSN: v
Primary Subject: Calling Plans
Secondary Subject: Details of my Calling Plan
Message Body: I currently subscribe to unlimited data plan and use a Motorola Droid to connect to your service. I understand that the Droid may have a feature eneabled to allow a wireless connection to my laptop in the near future. I was told by a Verizon rep that 'Tethering' the phone is not allowed unless you subscribe to a mobile broadband service. I thought I was subscribed but I don't see it in my services. I also can't find a copy of a contract I signed. The contract was presented electronically to me but I can't find a link to it anywhere. I just want to know if it is allowed to tether my Droid to my laptop to share the internet service, and if so, do I need to subscribe to any service I am not currently subscribed to.

ILovemyDroid

Reaction score
i Alright i just called verizon CS they told me PDA net is allowed. So who ever said that this isnt allowed was saying a fib. I also called 4 other stores. Verizon never knows anything about up and coming phones because they arent allowed to. With features they know what they are talking about. I also called 4 stores and 4 said because it uses there 3g its fine. verizon told me you can root but its against tos.

OP
N

nateccnn

Reaction score
Based on this reply I can conclude that Vz does not want my money and they they know full well that I am tethering. Although I did nto come out and say I tether, I made it pretty clear it is a top priority for me and they have to know rtooters do it all the time. No where in this response does it say I can't tether. It simply says we don't have a product for you.

Nate

snappingfish

Reaction score
yeah-well what about this?

A few years ago, some guy that works at an investment firm said that he knew how to double my money. He also said he uses the same investment vehicles, so its "ok". But I haven't received my check yet. Has anyone ESLE heard of this guy, named Bernard Madoff?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
i Alright i just called verizon CS they told me PDA net is allowed. So who ever said that this isnt allowed was saying a fib. I also called 4 other stores. Verizon never knows anything about up and coming phones because they arent allowed to. With features they know what they are talking about. I also called 4 stores and 4 said because it uses there 3g its fine. verizon told me you can root but its against tos.

READ YOUR CONTRACT, and when in doubt (or when in court), the contract ALWAYS wins over a rep. Tethering is not allowed, end of story.

If you chose to tether anyway, you need to be aware that Verizon can charge you for the service, as well as terminate your contract. That's all there is to it.

ILovemyDroid

Reaction score

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm guessing you misheard what the rep said. Motorola can't tell you you can't root. What they can say is if you chose to root then your warranty is void. And even that can be argued because federal law states that a warranty can't be voided by the mere fact that a user installs a thrid party part/application. They have to provide eviudecne that the third party part or app caused the malfunction in order to deny the claim. I'm not going to express my opine on that...I would love to watch the lawyers duke it out though.

So if you root, you own the phone. My repo told me that tethering is not supported on the Droid. She then told me where to go to get PDANet. She never said tethering is not allowed. She said it is not supported. You tether, you own it.

I did find in my contract (which I can't locate now) that it clearly states I can not connect my device to anopther deive with the intent of using the network connection on the second device...or something to that effect. I sent an e-mail to Vz yesterday asking them how I can sign up for Mobile Broadband and here is their response:

Good Afternoon Nate,

My name is Valerie and I would be happy to provide information on the Droid and if it is compatible to tether to your computer. This is a great question and I also want to thank you for your valuable time in sending us an email.

I reviewed the Droid and unfortunately this is not supported. Here is information on how tethering works.

The Mobile Broadband Connect feature provides Internet access utilizing your handset as a modem by tethering it to your laptop via a USB cable and VZAccess Manager Software, which is available for download at the following website:

www.vzam.net

Once at this site, you can also view the devices that do support tethering.

For additional information on the Mobile Broadband Connect feature, please visit the following link:

Mobile Broadband Connect

Nate, I hope my information on that the Droid does not currently support tethering has been helpful and resolved your inquiry. I do also want to thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you today. I appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this e-mail.

Sincerely
Valerie
Verizon Wireless
Customer Service

If you have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and deleting it and all copies and backups thereof. If you are the intended recipient and are a Verizon Wireless customer, this response is subject to the terms of your Customer Agreement.

-----Original Message-----

SSN: v
Primary Subject: Calling Plans
Secondary Subject: Details of my Calling Plan
Message Body: I currently subscribe to unlimited data plan and use a Motorola Droid to connect to your service. I understand that the Droid may have a feature eneabled to allow a wireless connection to my laptop in the near future. I was told by a Verizon rep that 'Tethering' the phone is not allowed unless you subscribe to a mobile broadband service. I thought I was subscribed but I don't see it in my services. I also can't find a copy of a contract I signed. The contract was presented electronically to me but I can't find a link to it anywhere. I just want to know if it is allowed to tether my Droid to my laptop to share the internet service, and if so, do I need to subscribe to any service I am not currently subscribed to.
again thats through verizon. PDA net is an 3rd app so there is no probem. thats what i guessing. The verizon way is not supported but pda net certainly is now. Call them if you dont belive me

dylanthecat

Reaction score
You are guessing wrong. It violates the contract. I am done posting to this thread though cause it is not going anywhere. Tether is like speeding. Both are not allowed, but if you do either just do them with a little common sense and moderation and all will be fine.

OP
N

nateccnn

Reaction score
You are guessing wrong. It violates the contract. I am done posting to this thread though cause it is not going anywhere. Tether is like speeding. Both are not allowed, but if you do either just do them with a little common sense and moderation and all will be fine.

I was told by a cop that no one will ever get pulled over for going 8 mph over the speed limit.

Man...this thread took off to nowhere land fast...LOL

Nate