Copy & Paste

Tekmazter

Reaction score
dont even know if you can copy/paste on this phone w/o using the physical keyboard. yikes.

i'll go through the manual again, maybe i misread it

For the soft/virtual keyboard you do a long-press in the text box to get the same context menu as the D-pad on the physical keyboard. Then swipe the text with your finger. It's the same for Paste ... long-press in the text box and select Paste.

It's pretty easy to get used to.

nate94gt

Reaction score
dont even know if you can copy/paste on this phone w/o using the physical keyboard. yikes.

i'll go through the manual again, maybe i misread it

For the soft/virtual keyboard you do a long-press in the text box to get the same context menu as the D-pad on the physical keyboard. Then swipe the text with your finger. It's the same for Paste ... long-press in the text box and select Paste.

does not work. I was in an email, did a long press in the area to copy, and nothing popped up, and i tried sliding across the screen and nothing was selected.

Tekmazter

Reaction score

does not work. I was in an email, did a long press in the area to copy, and nothing popped up, and i tried sliding across the screen and nothing was selected.

Not sure what to tell you .. I just GMailed myself doing this.

gazpachoking

Reaction score

I think that trick only works from a text box. Long pressing on text in an email does not work. The only way I have found to copy text from gmail is to hold down shift while I drag my finger over text.

nate94gt

Reaction score

I think that trick only works from a text box. Long pressing on text in an email does not work. The only way I have found to copy text from gmail is to hold down shift while I drag my finger over text.
yeah. thats going to have to be fixed in a software update. kinda dumb IMO. but all we are is a bunch of beta testers at this time, thinks will get worked out. its took the iphone over 2 years to get copy/paste :eek:

Tekmazter

Reaction score
On composing a new email while in Exchange ActiveSync, GMail or Hotmail (setup as an email account) I can do this while typing.

I can also do this in the built-in Facebook App while entering text into fields. Everything else in FB is a link and not plain text.

As for highlighting text you're reading while in the browser, you have to hit the Menu button followed by Select Text followed of course by Menu and Paste into a text field someplace.

Texting doesn't have C/P ability on the Droid but emails most certainly do.

OP
Charles998

Charles998

Reaction score
"Sucks" is a very strong word I think its just not as easy to copy and paste as the iPhone and also to paste once you've selected a word just hold down the screen with your finger a few seconds and it will let you paste.

nate94gt

Reaction score
"Sucks" is a very strong word I think its just not as easy to copy and paste as the iPhone and also to paste once you've selected a word just hold down the screen with your finger a few seconds and it will let you paste.
i think "sucks" isnt strong enough

thank god i dont need to use it much at all

Mark5047

Reaction score

Just a reminder - the all amazing powerful iPhone did NOT have cut and paste until version 3.0 - the droid may be a little kludgy but it is available. It will get better with time.

nate94gt

Reaction score

Just a reminder - the all amazing powerful iPhone did NOT have cut and paste until version 3.0 - the droid may be a little kludgy but it is available. It will get better with time.
i understand that completely, and as ive mentioned in prior posts, im sure it'll get better. I never really used it on the iphone before (obviously), or after, copy/paste came to it :)

dannydoes

Reaction score
Check this out...

With the hard keyboard... hold down the shift button and drag along any text just about anywhere. It will select the part that you drag and when you let go, will auto copy to clipboard, then you can copy to any other text field in any other application.

OP
Charles998

Charles998

Reaction score
OK I guess so, but what do you mean that it will get bettter in time. Do you mean a person will adapt or there will be software updates to make it easier?

BigTex71

Reaction score
OK I guess so, but what do you mean that it will get bettter in time. Do you mean a person will adapt or there will be software updates to make it easier?

It will read your mind and no touch interface will be necessary. In time. In a LONG time. :)

Seriously, though: there will be software updates. I imagine by Q2 of next year, but that is total speculation on my part.