Computer doesn't recognize my Razr Maxx

Virago

Reaction score
When I first got the Maxx I was able to connect it to the computer. Now, all of a sudden, I can't.
I plug it into the usb port and it charges, so I know the cord works, but I can't move data between the phone and my computer. I go to Start, Computer, but I don't see the device

I have Windows 7 64 bit

Any help?

Redsnk95

Reaction score
Are you using a USB port on the front of the desktop or back? The ones in the back are much better.

wcjeep

Reaction score
Are you running anti virus on the phone? If so, uninstall then connect to the computer. If you're running avast this is definitely your problem

AJC1616

Reaction score
Make sure you are using the usb cable that was supplied with your phone. Some cables are charge only, not data transfer.

covard

Reaction score
I hope that you have figured out what was wrong, but just in case . . . .
When you connect with the USB cable, it brings up a notification in the top bar. It will tell you how the device is connected. If it is "Mass Storage" you should be able to see it as a couple of drives on your computer. If it is in "Media Device" or "Camera", then you won't see the cards.

Hope you get it working for you.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
AJC1616 said:
Make sure you are using the usb cable that was supplied with your phone. Some cables are charge only, not data transfer.

+1... some cables are only for charging, some for data transfer and charge.

OP
V

Virago

Reaction score
Are you running anti virus on the phone? If so, uninstall then connect to the computer. If you're running avast this is definitely your problem

I haven't downloaded any anti virus on my phone. Unless the phone came with it, the answer is no :(

OP
V

Virago

Reaction score

I'm going to go by the Verizon store and buy a new one. This is probably it. My phone charges from the computer, but that's all

OP
V

Virago

Reaction score
I found the cord that came with the phone! Problem solved!
Yes, it had to be THAT cord to make the computer recognize the phone.

Thank you all so much for your help!

mountain_chk

Reaction score
Similar Problem...

I am having a similar problem: I am using a laptop with windows 7 and have updated all my drivers. I am using the cord that came with the phone and I am not aware of any anti virus on my phone (have checked twice, maybe there is something in particular I need to be looking for??). Any help would be greatly appreciated as my computer is not even recognizing a connection...

I am needing the connection to dump files (pictures/videos mainly) from my phone to my computer. I was thinking of looking for an app that provides a cloud for me to store files and transfer to computer from there. Any recommendations for file transfers? Is there any easier way? Thanks for any help!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I am having a similar problem: I am using a laptop with windows 7 and have updated all my drivers. I am using the cord that came with the phone and I am not aware of any anti virus on my phone (have checked twice, maybe there is something in particular I need to be looking for??). Any help would be greatly appreciated as my computer is not even recognizing a connection...

I am needing the connection to dump files (pictures/videos mainly) from my phone to my computer. I was thinking of looking for an app that provides a cloud for me to store files and transfer to computer from there. Any recommendations for file transfers? Is there any easier way? Thanks for any help!

Try either https://www.box.com/ or https://www.dropbox.com/home. Both Box and Dropbox gives 5GB initially and both have various ways to increase the Free storage, as well as paid storage. Both are "Cloud" based storage systems and both offer desktop clients as well as Apps for the phones, so that sync'ing happens automatically.