How to access contacts from LCD busted Razr Maxx

joeken

Reaction score
The phone functions fine but the screen faded to black.

Won't connect to computer via USB due to settings on phone but my new Razr Maxx does straight away (not a USB driver issue on computer side).

Verizon can't import contacts without access to phone, is there anyway I can pull up the screen on my computer and navigate the phone to adjust the settings?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

C2Cab95

Reaction score
All your contacts should be saved to your Google account. When you log in to your new phone the first time, the contacts should automatically populate on your new Razr.

Good luck!

OP
J

joeken

Reaction score
Verizon store tried to import via Google contacts, someone's contacts populated the list but it wasn't mine. I only have one google account so that was wierd.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Perhaps one of the remote control programs like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.xdevelop.rmp&feature=search_result would give you access. Of course, it can be installed directly from the Google Play Store, but to start it, you'll have to approximate where on the screen to touch if the display is completely dead. There are plenty of others out there like this, as well as backup utilities. I am sure one of those can get you where you need to be.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
This is why I use backup assistant and backup to Google.. :) I like backup assistant because I can load my contacts to any device with my number... but we're all different, And our needs dictate what we do... so ymmv :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

OP
J

joeken

Reaction score
Thanks FoxKat

Unfortunately Google Play is having technical issues with my card. If i get a program like this is the fact that USB debugging mode is off on my phone going to be an issue? I do realize i created the perfect storm for losing my contacts so any additional help is very much appreciated.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
No, USB debugging would only be if you were hardwire connecting. The Wireless remote control apps essentially set the phone up as a web or FTP server and then you connect from a browser just as if your phone was a website. The software creates a GUI interface to your phone that allows you to operate most of the functions just as if you were actually using the phone.

Unfortunately many of the applications for contact backup assume that the phone is properly registered to a Google account so they wouldn't work. You need something that actually gets you inside the phone to reach the contacts that are stored only there.

Some of the "find my phone" type applications offer remote access as well as remote backup and remote wipe. Perhaps one of those would yield greater success. Either way you go, you'll need to be able to at least start the application on the phone, and in some cases either enter or read from the phone an access code, email address, account name or something on that order.

Chukee

Reaction score
Webtop with the lapdock is the only thing comes to mind.

OP
J

joeken

Reaction score
Update:

I was able to get my laptop to recognize the phone connecting to the computer and downloaded and installed MotoCast and MotoCast USB. In MotoCast USB it asks me to sync and I have the option to sync contacts with outlook. I have tried twice now to sync contacts with outlook but it gives me this:

Device volume = Internal Storage
Error = The device doesn't install APK

Start sync with "DROID RAZR" at 2012-06-22 13:16:20
Syncing contact
The device doesn't install APK
Contact sync complete

Sync summary
Sync start time = 2012-06-22 13:16:20
Sync stop time = 2012-06-22 13:17:04
Windows OS = Microsoft Windows XP
Device = DROID RAZR
Phone model = XT912
USB speed = 2.x
Device volume = Internal Storage
Error = The device doesn't install APK

It seems like I am so close but maybe so far?