Phone doesn't know it's plugged into computer

82DMC12

Reaction score
Hi,

Up until yesterday, I had no problem connecting my Droid to my work computer. I would do this so that I could charge it during the afternoon.

Now today, when I plug in, the computer does its chime, then a balloon comes up saying,

"USB device not recognized.
One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it"

I've tried doing a battery pull and unmount/remount the SD card. USB debugging is on.

It doesn't work on either computer in my office all of a sudden - a Windows 7 64 bit desktop or a Dell server running Win Server 2003 R2.

The Droid doesn't do anything at all when I plug it in, it won't charge or ask me to mount the SD card.

Any ideas? This may have started with the latest OTA which I received on Sat night. I'm not positive it has worked since then.

Andy

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
If you have administrator access then get into the device manager and uninstall the Droid. Once you've done that, plug the phone back in. You may need to install the latest Motorola drivers. Heck, if you have admin access, just install this, use it to clean out the old drivers and install the new ones.

http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Support/Experiences/Global_Drivers/USB_Drivers_bit_4.7.1.zip

Unzip it, install it, then clean out the old drivers, reboot the PC in question, then install new ones, reboot (one of these reboots is unneeded, but this should help make sure it works the first time), then plug the phone in. See if that helps.

OP
82DMC12

82DMC12

Reaction score
Hey Fur,

Thanks for the help so far. I downloaded and ran the program you linked me to. I rebooted but still no dice. Same balloon pop-up...

When you say, uninstall and reinstall the drivers, I assume the file you sent me was doing that automatically? If so, the computer is still not recognizing the device - it called it "unknown device" and the droid won't charge and ignored the USB connection.

Any other ideas?

Andy

If you have administrator access then get into the device manager and uninstall the Droid. Once you've done that, plug the phone back in. You may need to install the latest Motorola drivers. Heck, if you have admin access, just install this, use it to clean out the old drivers and install the new ones.

http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Support/Experiences/Global_Drivers/USB_Drivers_bit_4.7.1.zip

Unzip it, install it, then clean out the old drivers, reboot the PC in question, then install new ones, reboot (one of these reboots is unneeded, but this should help make sure it works the first time), then plug the phone in. See if that helps.

OP
82DMC12

82DMC12

Reaction score
Well I ran home to get my spare motorola 120V - USB charger and the phone wouldn't charge on that either. So now I was thinking it's either the phone or the USB cord.... Went out to my car and plugged the phone in - charging fine now.

I'm guessing it's actually this cheap USB cord I have. I bought it off amazon super-cheap, in fact I bought like 4 of them. It's been plugged into my desktop at work since I unwrapped it but it must be so poorly-made it's already broken just laying on my desk.

I'll bring a Moto-brand cord tomorrow and see if that helps.

Andy

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
A cheap USB cable could do that. Shoddy insulation causes wire cross-talk and confuses the device.

The program I sent you the link to has to be run and then you pick "clean" at the bottom, etc. :)

If the good cable doesn't work we probably still need to install and run that program. :)

Card

Reaction score
I'll add another vote to bad USB cable. I had a cheapo cable that I found among my drawer of assorted wiring, and it did the same thing when I plugged my Droid into my laptop. Went back to the cable that came with the phone and it worked fine.

OP
82DMC12

82DMC12

Reaction score
Today I brought an Ecomoto cord to work, plugged my phone in, and it's working like normal again. Must have been a crappy cord! Thanks for the help guys... maybe someone else with the same problem will see this and swap cords before messing with drivers!

Andy