Comparison Video: Galaxy S6 vs iPhone 6

DrumsOfGrohl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iphone 6
SamsungS6_vs_iPhone6.png

[Editor's Note: @DrumsOfGrohl posted something pretty cool in the Galaxy S6 section, so I am promoting it to the front page to share with you guys.]

Because we all love comparison videos, how about we let the Samsung Galaxy S6 take on Apple's über popular iPhone 6.

I have to say these two smart devices almost look identical. Unless you were familiar with either of them, I would bet you wouldn't easily be able to guess which one was which on first glance. It appears that the biggest difference is with the cameras, but even the UI seems surprisingly similar.

This video does a great job of showing the similarities between the phones while highlighting their differences as well.

Take a look at Pocketnow's video from MWC 2015 in Barcelona, Spain, and form your own opinions:

Last edited by a moderator:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
cheating-student.jpg

Nice, iphone 6 and looks like an iphone 6 Korean knock off....wait that is just the S6.

I love how 2-3 years ago Samsung was in court convincing people they were not copying Apple and that it was a coincidence their phones look a like. And yet here we are now and somehow we have another Galaxy device that looks even more like an iPhone than before....I know Samsung "it was just the natural evolution of tech".

OP
DrumsOfGrohl

DrumsOfGrohl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iphone 6
It seems pretty clear to me that they just didn't think they'd be able to compete with Apple's record-smashing, dominating iPhone 6, that they thought let's just emulate it.... we'll get 'em next time. Though I will say its nice to see that the S6 Camera metaphorically poops on the iPhone 6.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It seems pretty clear to me that they just didn't think they'd be able to compete with Apple's record-smashing, dominating iPhone 6, that they thought let's just emulate it.... we'll get 'em next time. Though I will say its nice to see that the S6 Camera metaphorically poops on the iPhone 6.

That's sad because Samsung, especially with their note devices, did things a little different and was enough to draw enough interest for android fans. But just with the evolution of a lot of things people get tired of the same old thing. Fact is if I wanted an iPhone I would already have one. Samsung need to take a step back and examine themselves. Yeah copying the iPhone (errrr following the natural evolution of smart phones) was a good way to get on the map but people chose Samsung because they did things differently especially starting with the Note and the S3. I am curious to see how the market will react to this blatant rip off of Apple. Will the market sense the desperation and go with a more confident manufacturer or will the Galaxy name be enough to get people to buy regardless?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Samsung still doesn't understand that their pricing is too high for 99% of countries. That is their biggest downfall.

Aside from looking alike these two phones are vastly superior to any phone that will be on the market. Unfortunately, since Samsung took too many design cues from Apple that will be the only thing that will be discussed when talking about the GS6 and GS6 Edge.

Better SoC than any competitor.
Better RAM than any competitor.
Better GPU than any competitor.
Better screen than any competitor.
Better SSD than any competitor.
Better camera than any competitor.
Better wireless charging than any competitor.
Better proprietary wall charging than any competitor.

But no. All you will hear about is how it looks like the iPhone.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's the problem with today's society, beauty is only skin deep. This phone trumps the iPhone 6 in every which way, there is NO comparison, and it looks nothing like it, maybe the bottom of the phone, but if you showed it to anyone that knows smartphones they could tell you it is NOT an iPhone, I know what an iPhone 6 looks like, I have an iPod Touch, lol. And in the video doesn't the iPhone 6 screen look a bit yellow compared to sweet and bright 2.5K SA screen on the S6.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
That's the problem with today's society, beauty is only skin deep. This phone trumps the iPhone 6 in every which way, there is NO comparison, and it looks nothing like it, maybe the bottom of the phone, but if you showed it to anyone that knows smartphones they could tell you it is NOT an iPhone, I know what an iPhone 6 looks like, I have an iPod Touch, lol. And in the video doesn't the iPhone 6 screen look a bit yellow compared to sweet and bright 2.5K SA screen on the S6.

I have the i6 Plus and the bottom looks almost identical. Other than that I am also not seeing what people are. And yes, even the screen on my Note Edge looks better than my i6.

They should have went with the bottom of the Note 3. It had a bottom facing speaker that sounded very good.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Is it just me, or was that guy's natural tongue roll and faster paced speech tough to follow at times?

Anyway, no, I don't think it is all that obvious that it's not an iPhone 6 to all but iPhone 6 owners and some iPhone 5 owners. In fact, I think it's scary similar in many respects. Knowing Apple and their litigation friendliness, I do expect we will hear the gavel being slammed down at some point.

The fingerprint magnet comment I thought was interesting and then I saw the blue glass and those glaring white fingerprints. Ugh. Premium look in Blue glass?

Fingerpints.JPG

It would have been far less obvious if the glass weren't tinted, but I just don't know what they were thinking there. And going with a glass back...I can already hear the sound of glass cracking. Now not only do you have the front glass to worry about, but the back too. Never would I want a glass back, not for fingerprints, not for scratching, not for cracking. Think how many of those are going to be getting cracked and yet how few will get repaired. I often see people using cracked front displays. Just Friday I passed a guy on our office steps swiping away at the screen of his iPhone 6 shattered display. If he won't pay to get that glass replaced, I am very confident he wouldn't pay to have the back glass of a phone like this replaced. It may be Gorilla Glass 4 (at least on the front, don't know about the back), but it's still glass.

I hate that the bezel of the camera protrudes beyond the body of the phone. It's just another place to get dinged. The phone will rest on the camera bezel and the bottom edge as a pesudo-three point base. The camera bezel is made of Aluminum, which is a very strong metal in some ways, but very easy to scratch and nick and ding. I've seen the iPhone 6 camera bezels all dinged up and scratched, and same with the S5.

The bottom facing speaker is a big fail IMHO. Other phones have adopted either a single, or in the case of some dual front facing speakers, and it's a HUGE improvement in the volume and quality of speakerphone and music audio. Anyone who knows anything about sound knows that the higher frequencies (the ones that dictate clarity), drop off dramatically when listened to off-axis from the speaker or speaker port. This is because higher frequencies are more directional the higher the frequency you go. Bass or low midrange sounds by comparison are either non-directional, or at best very low directional. This means that listening off-axis yields a muddy and bassy sound, voices are muffled, music sounds lifeless.

To compensate, they can increase the mid and high frequency responses but then what you have is an artifically manipulated frequency response that falls way short of addressing the problem, and makes the speaker sound harsh if you happen to have it facing you, or laying on a hard smooth surface which can better reflect those directional high frequencies. In other words, it sounds better when NOT pointed at you, but sounds terrible all other ways.

No removable battery, no SD card... Hmmm. Sounds like it just lost TWO of the biggest features that set it apart from much of its competition in the Android world. I'm actually disappointed. I've been a Moto fanboy for a long time, but I was actually rooting for this to be a better phone because I really was considering it as my next phone, but only if it had one or the other, or both features. It's sometimes no fun to be the odd man out, and instead it feels far more comfortable to have something in common with your neighbors. Everyone else around me has either an iPhone or a Samsung phone. There is only one other Motorola phone in my whole company location, a Moto X. I feel kinda lonely (not really, but...).

I am very much a fan of Samsung's screens and cameras. I really wanted to see them hit a new plateau and take a leap forward in the TouchWiz downsizing as well, but alas it is not to be.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Please tell me the headphone jack...is NOT on the bottom?!?!

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
There was something, then Palm copied the Apple Newton, then Apple copied Palm, then Samsung copied Apple, then Apple copied HTC, then Samsung copied Apple, then...

All them there 'facturers are just kissin' cousins.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
There was something, then Palm copied the Apple Newton, then Apple copied Palm, then Samsung copied Apple, then Apple copied HTC, then Samsung copied Apple, then...

All them there 'facturers are just kissin' cousins.
Kissing Cousins, must be a southern thing, LOL.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Not in any particular order, just my thoughts.

The good
  • Hard to beat Samsung displays
  • Adding Qi charging
  • 64 bit chip, even though it is just a line item now and not really useful. People will like it when comparing.
  • No more swipe fingerprint reader
  • Better build quality, not accounting for the glass back.

The bad
  • Touchwiz
  • Price
  • Glass back, and the color of it.
  • Touchwiz
  • Non-removable battery/storage, that is what was keeping many people buying their phones.
  • Bottom headphone jack
  • One tiny downward facing speaker
  • Touchwiz
  • Protruding camera

The ugly
  • Not enough phone to pull my away from my Nexus 6.