Cm6 Having issue's with battery

andrew149

Reaction score
Anyone having really bad battery life i have wiped three times and have double checked everything is it just me or is this a issue????

droiddadi

Reaction score
I didn't have any issues. I am getting good battery life. 18-24 hrs with moderate use.

On RC3 it as not good but with final version it is much better

Maverick0984

Reaction score
I have pretty poor battery life and have tried everything except a wipe, different kernels, different SetCPU setups, task managers, new battery, etc. I don't think I've wiped since 5.0.8, and have been through all the RC's and now the final of CM6.

I was beginning to think wiping is the next option for me.

Maybe even try another ROM but I don't want to loose the features of CM. Others have reported better battery life with other ROMs. The only issue with that is that for every one of those people, there is another person that says CM gave them better battery life. So in my book, that's just a healthy bit of statistical error.

OP
andrew149

andrew149

Reaction score
I have pretty poor battery life and have tried everything except a wipe, different kernels, different SetCPU setups, task managers, new battery, etc. I don't think I've wiped since 5.0.8, and have been through all the RC's and now the final of CM6.

I was beginning to think wiping is the next option for me.

Maybe even try another ROM but I don't want to loose the features of CM. Others have reported better battery life with other ROMs. The only issue with that is that for every one of those people, there is another person that says CM gave them better battery life. So in my book, that's just a healthy bit of statistical error.

wiping is easy now because google restores all apps once u login! try wiping and tell me how it is ive tried so many tricks to get better battery life but its a no go for me idk why but im keeping this rom

caseyc

Reaction score
i was getting better battery life with BB0.4 but its not horrible with CM6, im not swithcing from CM6 any time soon though, i love it.

OP
andrew149

andrew149

Reaction score
dang so its not just me i guess people who get the 12+ are not using internet im using facebook and twitter and beautiful widgets so my data gets used

Bear in NM

Reaction score
If you are willing to put the time in, there is an app that might be able to help you troubleshoot where you might be getting a drain. It is called Droidwall, and it is essentially a firewall for the droid that will let you customize so that you can invoke the wall, and only allow certain apps of your choosing to connect to the web and data. CM6 is the first rom that I have tried where the program is functional.

I have been up for 9 hours 53 minutes with only 30% battery drain, with some emails, a few calls, some web browsing this morning, and the display on for quite a while, and oc'd to 1200 (p3's). Today I was in an area with poor data and phone reception, so I turned on the wall with only email, gmail, google voice and the phone radio. Basic functionality I need for my job, with zero extra.

So far so good. The program is great in that you can set up a white list (allow) or black list (block), which is kinda neat depending on which way you want to control. And if you are willing to put in the extended time to test, you will certainly be able to nail any rogue apps.

Craig

OP
andrew149

andrew149

Reaction score
If you are willing to put the time in, there is an app that might be able to help you troubleshoot where you might be getting a drain. It is called Droidwall, and it is essentially a firewall for the droid that will let you customize so that you can invoke the wall, and only allow certain apps of your choosing to connect to the web and data. CM6 is the first rom that I have tried where the program is functional.

I have been up for 9 hours 53 minutes with only 30% battery drain, with some emails, a few calls, some web browsing this morning, and the display on for quite a while, and oc'd to 1200 (p3's). Today I was in an area with poor data and phone reception, so I turned on the wall with only email, gmail, google voice and the phone radio. Basic functionality I need for my job, with zero extra.

So far so good. The program is great in that you can set up a white list (allow) or black list (block), which is kinda neat depending on which way you want to control. And if you are willing to put in the extended time to test, you will certainly be able to nail any rogue apps.

Craig

Okay so i took the plunged and i wiped out the rom again three times also formated the phone than waited and fully charged the phone after that i ran wifi using internet texting googleing, g talk lots of customizing the phone resetting everything back up ok so now im at 20% battery use and its 2am right now well i charged it a 2pm so im getting 12 hours plus now i guess the first wipe didnt work out so much im loving the rom alotttt now that my battery actauly works it doesnt freeze like BD 7.0 did

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Andrew,

Sounds like you have sorted things out. Great. I am in the wipe AND factory reset 3 times before any new rom, and I have never had battery issues with anyone's work. As a matter of fact, wiping and factory resetting before any new rom has kept me from having many of the issues folks report on new installations. CM6 is a pretty cool rom, my first in a long time that is not just a stocked and themed version of the latest OTA, and I am pretty excited about it. About like having a new phone.

Good luck,

Craig

OP
andrew149

andrew149

Reaction score
Andrew,

Sounds like you have sorted things out. Great. I am in the wipe AND factory reset 3 times before any new rom, and I have never had battery issues with anyone's work. As a matter of fact, wiping and factory resetting before any new rom has kept me from having many of the issues folks report on new installations. CM6 is a pretty cool rom, my first in a long time that is not just a stocked and themed version of the latest OTA, and I am pretty excited about it. About like having a new phone.

Good luck,

Craig

i always whip too thats why i was so stumped i had to wipe out again to get better battery life idk what was going on but i could watch my battery life go down literaly

jville95

Reaction score

Craig

Question in regards to this app: I installed it on my phone BUT... my question to you is, how do I know which apps I have installed on my phone are burning up data usage/battery life?? :icon_eek:

Bear in NM

Reaction score

Craig

Question in regards to this app: I installed it on my phone BUT... my question to you is, how do I know which apps I have installed on my phone are burning up data usage/battery life?? :icon_eek:

J,

The primary function of this app is to completely block the phone with regard to the apps of your choice. The reason why I said if you have the time is that what you would have to do is create your white or black list, add or delete apps, and check over the course of a day or so to see how your battery life results with various apps shut down from data. Obviously this will not show you if you have a runaway app with regard to internal memory, but you can now check particular apps to see if they have a runaway data situation.

The approach I have taken is to use a white list (allow) and uncheck every app that is not a core function for me. In my case I have email, gmail, google voice and a few other core components with allowed access. Then what I have been doing is using my other programs, noting which ones give me any errors upon use. For example, maps or browser will give you a network connection error. This is obvious.

What are not so obvious are apps with adds, or perhaps apps that might be doing something with data in the background. If you recall back to when you install an app, it lists what services it will need. Many will say network connections, but do you really want your text editing app or other strictly on phone app to have network resources?

This is not an easy way, but again Droidwall was designed for security, and it is my belief that you can also use it to control other aspects of the phone, and how they could affect your battery. You could also just shut data down, but then you have no email or gmail, or perhaps market updates. This way you can isolate each app, without sacrificing core app accessibility. And the program has a widget which is a toggle on and off, for ease of implementation.

Craig