Cm6 Having issue's with battery

jville95

Reaction score
J,

The primary function of this app is to completely block the phone with regard to the apps of your choice. The reason why I said if you have the time is that what you would have to do is create your white or black list, add or delete apps, and check over the course of a day or so to see how your battery life results with various apps shut down from data. Obviously this will not show you if you have a runaway app with regard to internal memory, but you can now check particular apps to see if they have a runaway data situation.

The approach I have taken is to use a white list (allow) and uncheck every app that is not a core function for me. In my case I have email, gmail, google voice and a few other core components with allowed access. Then what I have been doing is using my other programs, noting which ones give me any errors upon use. For example, maps or browser will give you a network connection error. This is obvious.

What are not so obvious are apps with adds, or perhaps apps that might be doing something with data in the background. If you recall back to when you install an app, it lists what services it will need. Many will say network connections, but do you really want your text editing app or other strictly on phone app to have network resources?

This is not an easy way, but again Droidwall was designed for security, and it is my belief that you can also use it to control other aspects of the phone, and how they could affect your battery. You could also just shut data down, but then you have no email or gmail, or perhaps market updates. This way you can isolate each app, without sacrificing core app accessibility. And the program has a widget which is a toggle on and off, for ease of implementation.

Craig

^ GREAT STUFF and thx for the timely response. I was messing around with it today a little but not too much but I will do my own testing t osee what type of results I can acheive. I was using my phone today with data/3G turned off but as you simply stated, my phone did feel isolated. Like it was being held back. No MMS messages could be sent nor received, no emails, etc. So I will do further testing for 'Droidwall'. Thx again!

Bear in NM

Reaction score
J,

The primary function of this app is to completely block the phone with regard to the apps of your choice. The reason why I said if you have the time is that what you would have to do is create your white or black list, add or delete apps, and check over the course of a day or so to see how your battery life results with various apps shut down from data. Obviously this will not show you if you have a runaway app with regard to internal memory, but you can now check particular apps to see if they have a runaway data situation.

The approach I have taken is to use a white list (allow) and uncheck every app that is not a core function for me. In my case I have email, gmail, google voice and a few other core components with allowed access. Then what I have been doing is using my other programs, noting which ones give me any errors upon use. For example, maps or browser will give you a network connection error. This is obvious.

What are not so obvious are apps with adds, or perhaps apps that might be doing something with data in the background. If you recall back to when you install an app, it lists what services it will need. Many will say network connections, but do you really want your text editing app or other strictly on phone app to have network resources?

This is not an easy way, but again Droidwall was designed for security, and it is my belief that you can also use it to control other aspects of the phone, and how they could affect your battery. You could also just shut data down, but then you have no email or gmail, or perhaps market updates. This way you can isolate each app, without sacrificing core app accessibility. And the program has a widget which is a toggle on and off, for ease of implementation.

Craig

^ GREAT STUFF and thx for the timely response. I was messing around with it today a little but not too much but I will do my own testing t osee what type of results I can acheive. I was using my phone today with data/3G turned off but as you simply stated, my phone did feel isolated. Like it was being held back. No MMS messages could be sent nor received, no emails, etc. So I will do further testing for 'Droidwall'. Thx again!

J,

yes, it is a very powerful tool, and I think has not gotten a lot of coverage as it has not been functional on any of the other roms I tried it on (mostly stock/rooted versions). I was very excited when I found the iptables worked on CM6. It is especially useful for folks like me who find themselves in and out of 3g coverage, and want to be able to reduce the number of core apps looking for data connections.

A good example for me is the news/weather widget/app. When I have a good data connection, I don't mind frequent updates. When out of 3g, I want it off. Sure I can toggle the settings in the app to poll less, but if you have several or many of these type of apps it could be a pain to fiddle with each one when you want to minimize your 3g polling. One click of the droidwall widget and all of your non-essential 3g apps get turned off. Pretty handy.

Craig

jville95

Reaction score
J,

yes, it is a very powerful tool, and I think has not gotten a lot of coverage as it has not been functional on any of the other roms I tried it on (mostly stock/rooted versions). I was very excited when I found the iptables worked on CM6. It is especially useful for folks like me who find themselves in and out of 3g coverage, and want to be able to reduce the number of core apps looking for data connections.

A good example for me is the news/weather widget/app. When I have a good data connection, I don't mind frequent updates. When out of 3g, I want it off. Sure I can toggle the settings in the app to poll less, but if you have several or many of these type of apps it could be a pain to fiddle with each one when you want to minimize your 3g polling. One click of the droidwall widget and all of your non-essential 3g apps get turned off. Pretty handy.

Craig
This is true.

edit: What would make my gmail not come thru? I have Gmail checked and sync is on in App & Sync settings. Its lke I see the sync icon but nothing appears but if I manually go into gmail and hit refresh, they will pop up. *scratches head*

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Running CM6 with P3Droid 250/900 LV kernel. Just installed DroidWall and enabled only gmail and google voice when I'm in areas of low signal (at my desk at work). For the evening and overnight, I kept the firewall disabled and just allowed normal use from all apps. I'm currently at 23h28m since I unplugged it yesterday (at about this time, apparently). I don't know if it's the new CM6 release, the LV P3droid kernel, Droidwall, or my particular usage over the last 24 hours, but something has seriously improved the battery life of my phone! Under "Cell standby" it says 17% of time without a signal. Breakdown is 45% Display, 30% idle, 25% Cell standby and 2% wifi. The other apps seem to have completely dropped off the list. I did a fair amount of emailing, downloading, app installing, browsing, etc, but that's hard to quantify.

droiddadi

Reaction score
Me too seeing best battery life with CM6. I turned off 3G using powercontrol widget when I am on wifi. This improved battery a lot. 50% still left after 24 hrs with moderate use + 2 hrs of browsing with wifi.

Isn't 3g automatically turned off when you are on wifi? Turning off 3g explicitly improved battery life in my case.

jville95

Reaction score
Running CM6 with P3Droid 250/900 LV kernel. Just installed DroidWall and enabled only gmail and google voice when I'm in areas of low signal (at my desk at work). For the evening and overnight, I kept the firewall disabled and just allowed normal use from all apps. I'm currently at 23h28m since I unplugged it yesterday (at about this time, apparently). I don't know if it's the new CM6 release, the LV P3droid kernel, Droidwall, or my particular usage over the last 24 hours, but something has seriously improved the battery life of my phone! Under "Cell standby" it says 17% of time without a signal. Breakdown is 45% Display, 30% idle, 25% Cell standby and 2% wifi. The other apps seem to have completely dropped off the list. I did a fair amount of emailing, downloading, app installing, browsing, etc, but that's hard to quantify.

Dood that's effin awesome!! I just installed DroidWall yesterday, set it up today, and Im gonna test to see what my battery life maxes out to be. Im currently running P3Droid's LV 250/800 kernel and its pretty snappy for me.

edit: se7enLC, what are your setCPU settings?

Bear in NM

Reaction score
J,

With regard to your gmail not coming through:

Is this with a while list or black list? I just checked and I got my gmail instantly with my wall invoked. The following services were enabled (white list):

Calendar
Calendar Storage
Calendar Sync Adapter.....
Email
Gmail
Google Voice
Messaging
Voice Search

One thing to keep in mind is that from time to time Google Stuff can be flakey. Certainly if you have not done so, then test your gmail with the wall off. Then try again with he wall on, perhaps adding services that look correct to get the sync working. My list above allows me full gmail service.

Craig

ohfire

Reaction score
Since rooting a couple months ago, I have tried every new and old rom that has come out. My battery life is terrible on all of them. Unfortunately, I have to use my phone for work during the day, that means phone calls and lots of emails and data. I am about to the point that I am going to unroot and go back to stock, that was the only time my phone had decent battery life. I really hate to go back, but I have pretty much pulled my hair out to try and get longer battery life. I am not in a position to not use it all day long, sorta defeats the purpose of having this phone.

microsnook

Reaction score
Im running chevys ULV 1Ghz. and my battery lifes alright, but i think it could be improved.
I think i have all of my settings where i want them.

Should another wipe help me out or what?
Should I try P3s kerenel?

leonozug

Reaction score
I have ALWAYS had terrible battery life with Cyanogen. I don't know why people think it's so great, having to carry three batteries in your pocket and hope you make it home in time to charge it is ridiculous. I run LFY 1.5 Black and Bold and that baby lasts all day....I just say no to Cyano-drain-my-battery-Mod. ; )

dbu

Reaction score
This just in! Smart phones use the **** out of batteries! More to follow at 6...

Sent from my Droid

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Since rooting a couple months ago, I have tried every new and old rom that has come out. My battery life is terrible on all of them. Unfortunately, I have to use my phone for work during the day, that means phone calls and lots of emails and data. I am about to the point that I am going to unroot and go back to stock, that was the only time my phone had decent battery life. I really hate to go back, but I have pretty much pulled my hair out to try and get longer battery life. I am not in a position to not use it all day long, sorta defeats the purpose of having this phone.

OH,

I can understand your pain. These battery threads never end (or go) well typically, as battery life is so subjective. I think one of the issues we have with custom roms is that they are always overclocked, usually at least 800. Then most of us Oc even more. I would think that if you are overclocked, then at least manually or SetCpually clocking back to 600 should get you more like stock. Between oc'ing and perhaps adjusting your wifi scan interval (if using wifi), there should not be a lot of difference between custom and stock.

Not sure if this appiles in your case, but many of us are using batteries that are at getting a little to a lot aged. Toss in the fact that periodically you need to completely drain the battery to reset the phones internal monitoring, and it's no wonder folks have complaints. Heck, some folks probably do not understand that GPS is a major drain, and these same folks when setting up the phone allowed for the google monitoring of position. Just way too many variables to really have a decent conversation as to expected life, other than posting tweaks that we try to help.

Not sure if you have seen the battery thread about the D2 extended battery working with the D(1), but apparently it works and folks are reporting "significant" gains in battery life. The cover fits, and only adds a couple of mm's to the thickness of the battery compartment. Might be an option. The other thing is that if you have not purchased another battery as a spare, rotation or as a minimum control to verify your current battery, I would recommend so. For me, I have my spare, I do rotate, both batteries are OEM, and I do not have problems getting through a day of my use, which is calls, emails and some data on a single battery. And honestly, I have tried quite a few of the different roms, spent most of my time on the stock/rooted versions, and have not seen any real differences as to life on my phone.

Craig

ohfire

Reaction score

OH,

I can understand your pain. These battery threads never end (or go) well typically, as battery life is so subjective. I think one of the issues we have with custom roms is that they are always overclocked, usually at least 800. Then most of us Oc even more. I would think that if you are overclocked, then at least manually or SetCpually clocking back to 600 should get you more like stock. Between oc'ing and perhaps adjusting your wifi scan interval (if using wifi), there should not be a lot of difference between custom and stock.

Not sure if this appiles in your case, but many of us are using batteries that are at getting a little to a lot aged. Toss in the fact that periodically you need to completely drain the battery to reset the phones internal monitoring, and it's no wonder folks have complaints. Heck, some folks probably do not understand that GPS is a major drain, and these same folks when setting up the phone allowed for the google monitoring of position. Just way too many variables to really have a decent conversation as to expected life, other than posting tweaks that we try to help.

Not sure if you have seen the battery thread about the D2 extended battery working with the D(1), but apparently it works and folks are reporting "significant" gains in battery life. The cover fits, and only adds a couple of mm's to the thickness of the battery compartment. Might be an option. The other thing is that if you have not purchased another battery as a spare, rotation or as a minimum control to verify your current battery, I would recommend so. For me, I have my spare, I do rotate, both batteries are OEM, and I do not have problems getting through a day of my use, which is calls, emails and some data on a single battery. And honestly, I have tried quite a few of the different roms, spent most of my time on the stock/rooted versions, and have not seen any real differences as to life on my phone.

Craig

Thanks for the reply Craig,
I have been overclocked in the past and I have run the speed that comes with the roms. I have purchased setcpu and I have tried slow and fast. I have changed Kernels and that has not helped. I have thought of getting an extended battery from ebay, but I am just shy about getting 3rd party stuff. I have not tried a new battery and perhaps I need to do that. I do let this one drain at least once a week...I have cleared the battery stats and let it start over. Just seems that rooting was the downfall. I will go and get a second battery and try that. Thanks again
Jeff