Check for updates is not available at this time

kmkmjohnson

Reaction score
Looking forward to the new update coming out (902) so I went to System Updates and I'm getting a 'Check for updates is not available at this time' message. Seems to have been that way for a few days at least. I'm stock, no root, nothing special. The only two things I could find when searching was a recommendation to change a sync over wifi setting (but that setting is fine) or to do a factory reset (which would be nice to avoid). Or am I still going to get the OTA update regardless?

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

unbesorgt

Reaction score
Looking forward to the new update coming out (902) so I went to System Updates and I'm getting a 'Check for updates is not available at this time' message. Seems to have been that way for a few days at least. I'm stock, no root, nothing special. The only two things I could find when searching was a recommendation to change a sync over wifi setting (but that setting is fine) or to do a factory reset (which would be nice to avoid). Or am I still going to get the OTA update regardless?

If you wish, you can install the update manually: .902 Manual Update

Instructions: Copy the file to root of your external SD card (sd-ext). Power down, then hold volume up and volume down at the same time and power on. Press volume down to highlight Recovery and volume up to select. When you get to the screen with the ! symbol, press volume up and down again to bring up the menu. Use volume keys to highlight Update from Zip and tap power again. Then select the file on your SD card. It should then install the update.

Last edited:

MasterBlaster

Reaction score
I pulled my battery then boot it up and check for updates and it worked.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
K

kmkmjohnson

Reaction score
Battery pull didn't work so looks like I'll do the manual update.

MasterBlaster

Reaction score
I forgot to mention i pulled the battery a few times before i was able to get it to work. Try it a couple more times. I hope this works for you.

Knowpig

Reaction score
My wife finally got the 902 update this morning. We are in Southern Riverside County, so we have a good strong 4G signal. But she was picking up on the data loss during 3G/4G transitions. I am hoping for the best!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Al Neri

Reaction score
I have never manually installed an update I prefer to wait for the ota. Mine finally showed up Friday. I don't notice any changes but I rarely had problems since I bought it on launch day.

Can't wait for ICS.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
FDR has always resolved this issue for everybody on this forum with that problem, myself included. You can also do the manual install, but even though it's the same files, something about getting it OTA makes it seem more....official to me.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another thing to try is to remove the sim card and battery, replace the battery and power up. Then power down, remove the battery, replace the sim card & battery and power up.

Be sure to put the sim card in correctly or it'll get fried.

Last edited:

jughead75

Reaction score

I had the same trouble tried all of the suggestions mentioned, with the exception of a manual install. A Factory Reset was the only thing that fixed it. Not the best option I know but it should work.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
It won't fry your sim card but I never really see anyone have success with it.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
It won't fry your sim card but I never really see anyone have success with it.

If you put it in backwards it will. I know, it happened to me. As soon as I powered up I got the message that there was no sim card and there was. When I put it in correctly the message was gone, but all I got was 3G. I took it to a Verizon store and explained to them what I did and what happened. They confirmed the card was bad and swapped it with a new one for free. 4G came back right away.

It's probably a coincidence, but the times I did this after a series of "Not available" messages, the first message was that it's up to date. Screwy, I know, as the sim card is there mainly for 4G and checking for updates can be done with 3G.

UPDATE: Take a look at https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/70990/~/droid-bionic---sim-card-swapping

Your DROID BIONIC requires a special 4G LTE SIM card specifically for your phone. In the event you remove your SIM and replace with another SIM card, you may experience a disruption in certain services like OTA (Over The Air) updates and social networking services. If you encounter this type of disruption, we recommend replacing the original SIM your device came with.

So that means that the card has some control over OTA.

Last edited:
OP
K

kmkmjohnson

Reaction score
Hey! After 3 or 4 battery pulls, it worked! Downloading now. Super neat!