Premium Member
Reaction score
And you are getting 4G at times?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

OP
B

bufordtpisser

Reaction score
I live in a strong 4G area. Have honestly never seen anything but a 4G signal on my phone. Data drops are very rare for me. Otherwise I think this phone is great.

jcwilliams

Reaction score
No update for me or the wife yet. Both rooted on stock ROM. my phone has been running real slow and won't load ant pictures on Facebook and what not. Have data drops all the time.
Can't wait to get it.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was in cincinnati today and experienced 4g for the first time and man thats an awesome feeling seeing the little 4G lte icon on top of my bionic. Its hands down faster than wifi.

You ppl who live in 4g areas are lucky, just sayin. Anyways, i want my update!

It CAN be faster than wifi, however my FIOS connection gives me ~30Mbps up/~30Mbps down; so in general for me, wifi is faster. LTE is pretty dang fast, though.

dags5000

Reaction score
jcwilliams said:
No update for me or the wife yet. Both rooted on stock ROM. my phone has been running real slow and won't load ant pictures on Facebook and what not. Have data drops all the time.
Can't wait to get it.

The 905 update doesnt really have any noticeable changes. No new features really just supposed tightening of 4g connectivity. Until ics these updates dont really give us (well me least) anything to be excited about. Hopefully tho they at least get the connectivity issues a little more ironed out for those like you that have issues. To be honest i loaded 905 few weeks backwards and while it could have been all in my head, the update seemed to make things slightly worse overall. Anyways still excited for ics hopefully a few montha out

Swis21

Reaction score
So is there any fix for this issues? Every time I check for updates it will just say check not available. If ICS is going to come out in a few dayssupposedly, then how am I to know if it's even working?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
So is there any fix for this issues? Every time I check for updates it will just say check not available. If ICS is going to come out in a few dayssupposedly, then how am I to know if it's even working?

Three possibles are:
1) Battery Pull
2) Sim Card Pull
3) Factory Reset

But none are guaranteed. I've tried the sim card pull and it's worked for me.

rjcapp

Reaction score
Swis21 said:

ICS is not coming out in a few days. Anyway You should get a message when the next ota is ready to download. Be patient.

dags5000

Reaction score
Make sure u are fully stock and just wait it out. It should auto push to ur phone and prompt you. If you read on here that others have gotten the update either through auto push or from checking for updates, and check for updates fails for you, this does NOT mean your phone has issues. It can sometimes be up to a week or more before it is available to everyone. If for some reason you never get it no need to worry as every update is leaked all over the web including forum so you can easily install it manually. For me i usually just manually install anyways since the leaks come out earlier and it removes the "wait time" and agonizing whether or not you will ever receive it.

All that said there are ways to get off the update path like loading custom roms and such. Usually reverting back to full blown stock solves it but there do appear to be sporadic cases where some never get it ota. Fortunately we can do the manual install. If it is something you are sure is busted and cant live with it ask for a replacement phone or bring it to verizon when it fails and have them try in the store. I myself still chalk 99% of these supposed issues to imaptience, user error or user modifying the phones original state (i.e. rooting and custom roms)

jhom

Reaction score
Given my experience with the 905 soak test, I think users will be receiving their ota real soon.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Make sure u are fully stock and just wait it out. It should auto push to ur phone and prompt you. If you read on here that others have gotten the update either through auto push or from checking for updates, and check for updates fails for you, this does NOT mean your phone has issues. It can sometimes be up to a week or more before it is available to everyone.

Yes, the updates are quite random, but don't forget that the OP has been waiting since September 2011 for an OTA and has never gotten a single one. This is presuming that it's a stock phone (as you said).

For me i usually just manually install anyways since the leaks come out earlier and it removes the "wait time" and agonizing whether or not you will ever receive it.

The only problem with that is that we've seen twice now (.901 & .904) where an early leaked version is not the official OTA version. Fortunately as you pointed out, there are ways to go back if necessary.

Then there's the other side of the coin. When you check for updates, you are sending a signal to the carrier. The carrier checks your version and IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) number and if you're scheduled to receive it, you'll see a message saying so. This means that if you're scheduled to get an update on June 19th at 3:47am, your phone will say that it's "Up to date" (assuming that the OP is getting the "Up To Date" messages [which he isn't]) even though others have been getting the update since June 14th (so yes, you do have to be patient). This also means that if you're on .904, the OTA .905 update won't happen and will say that the phone is up to date because it's looking at what you're supposed to have, not what you're at.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
OP I'm in your boat. I have had my phone since June 2011. I am on .886. I have never received any ota update. I have never side loaded an update. I am bone stock, not rooted, and obviously no apps frozen. I get the update not available just now. I "think" I have seen the up to date message before, but I have so many devices I may be thinking of another.

My Bionic has been rock solid since day one. Strong 4g, no data drops when everyone else had them. Switches wifi to 4g. Switches 4g to 3G and back, no issues. The updates have mostly been to fix issues that I have never had, so I have not been concerned. I would like ICS when finally available. If past history is an indication I won't get it. The phone works so well I don't think I want to do any back flips to get minor updates. The good ole if it aint broke don't fix it. But I would like to be set up to receive ICS at some point

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
My phone has given me the Update not available at this time message since new. I have had to side load every update with the help of either VZW or Moto techs. Any suggestions other than factory reset or new phone.

Another question....When you're checking, is it always in the same location?

Blacksheep427

Reaction score
Swis21 said:

I do not think this is ICS. It is just bug fix and for connectivity.