App Market updates

uscfan989

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum, but is there a way to get my side loaded apps to update that wasn't purchased through the android market? I have a number of them that have available updates, but the market obvoiusly won't allow me because they were downloaded via other websites and side loaded. Thanks for any help.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nope. Only apps officially downloaded through the Play Store will update. Amazon apps or apps from 3rd party markets won't update.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Amazon apps or apps from 3rd party markets won't update.

That's not entirely true. I've gotten an icon on the notification bar when one of my Amazon apps have an update. Plus, if I go the the Amazon App Store on my phone and select "All" under "My Apps" it will show which apps have an update. And when I launch Dungeon Hunter II, which I got from Game Play, it checks sometimes for updates before starting.

They won't update via the Market, er Play Store, but of they can be updated if an update exists.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes but apps from another market/app store can't be updated through the Play Store, which is what the OPs question was :)

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Man "play store" sounds ridiculous still... :)

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ya I know. Does not really roll of the proverbial tongue does it.

Snoking

Reaction score
Maybe that is just the first step and the next one is "Pay Store"!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Man "play store" sounds ridiculous still...
smile.png

A la George Carlin...

With Apple you have the APP Store
With Android you have the PLAY Store.

Let's PLAY!!

Yes but apps from another market/app store can't be updated through the Play Store, which is what the OPs question was :)

Hmm, looking at the question, "is there a way to get my side loaded apps to update that wasn't purchased through the android market?" I saw it as a question about updating in general, rather than "Can I use the Market to update all apps, not just ones I got from them?" So I answered, yes, there's a way, just go to where you got them.