ICS Check for Updates Question

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
When I check for updates I get "Check for update is not available at this time. Try again later" is that the message I should get until I get the OTA update, or is something broke?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
If you really want the OTA you can download it and put it on your external SD card and then apply it in recovery.

OP
FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Got it, but that is not the question I asked

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
Yes that is the message you will get until the update is available to you. No clue on when that happens, rollouts for updates are not based on your location. I've heard that it has to do with your phone's IMEI number, but I couldn't tell you if that is really the case or not. For all I personally know, it's totally random and you could see it any given time between now and next week.

Nezdude87

Reaction score
I missed my shot Friday, apparently. I'm registered on moto's feedback network and received an email saying I'd get the update Friday morning for the soak test. I'm on the extended network with no wifi at home, currently, so I drove 15 minutes into Verizon service (I was desperate, don't hate), only to download it and fail the install due to Safestrap. Came home, made my brain grow with google, used my fiancee's home network the following day and fxz'd back to stock .905, tried to update, and of COURSE I would get "your device is up to date" haha. I even went back into Verizon's service and got the same thing. Now I'm on an ICS leaked build watching the forums closely for when it really rolls out. I really wish I would've known then what I do now, I'd be enjoying the ota right now.

toastface

Reaction score
Just got an email from moto saying the soak was successful and they will begin rolling the ota out tonight......

Nezdude87

Reaction score
I just got it too, you beat me to the punch. Guess I'm going back to .905 tomorrow. Leak .232 is really good, I've had no problems so far, but of course I want the official update.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes that is the message you will get until the update is available to you.

Not really, what you should get is the message "Your phone is up to date! No update is necessary at this time." The message you're getting is that the phone is unable to check for updates. Maybe the server is overwhelmed and that's why it wants you to check later.

That happened to me a while ago. I powered down, removed the battery and sim card, put the battery in and powered up all the way. Then I powered down, removed the battery, replaced the sim card & battery and powered up again. I got the "up to date" message immediately. Be sure to put the sim card back in correctly or you can fry it. I did and had a new card put in (no charge).

OP
FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Not really, what you should get is the message "Your phone is up to date! No update is necessary at this time." The message you're getting is that the phone is unable to check for updates. Maybe the server is overwhelmed and that's why it wants you to check later.

That happened to me a while ago. I powered down, removed the battery and sim card, put the battery in and powered up all the way. Then I powered down, removed the battery, replaced the sim card & battery and powered up again. I got the "up to date" message immediately. Be sure to put the sim card back in correctly or you can fry it. I did and had a new card put in (no charge).

Tried the battery and sim pull you describe above. I still get the "Check for Update not available at this time. Try again later".

Can anyone that has gotten the OTA tell me what their System Update message said before you got the OTA. I had major issues with previous updates, I think the "not available" the message is the message I had before, not the "Up to date" message

mattjenn

Reaction score
FunN4Lo said:
Tried the battery and sim pull you describe above. I still get the "Check for Update not available at this time. Try again later".

Can anyone that has gotten the OTA tell me what their System Update message said before you got the OTA. I had major issues with previous updates, I think the "not available" the message is the message I had before, not the "Up to date" message

Ota has been released for everyone if you are stock with no mods try to go to all apps- Google framework- forcestop- then clear data see if that helps sometimes you have to do it 2-3 times

OP
FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Ota has been released for everyone if you are stock with no mods try to go to all apps- Google framework- forcestop- then clear data see if that helps sometimes you have to do it 2-3 times

Tried 3 times, same message

DxL

Reaction score
Remember Forum Users,

This is a friendly forum site/ app. Make sure we stay calm, friendly, and have fun.

Just a Friendly Reminder. And have a wonderful day.

Thanks,
DxL

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

Mine said, "Your phone is up to date! No update is necessary at this time." Of course when I did the check last Friday it said there was an update available and did I want to download it.

You may want to do a manual install, but you may still get the "Unavailable" message for the next update.

OP
FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Completely stock, never been anything else, never rooted, on 5.9.905

but... I bought my Bionic a couple of months after it came out. Never had any of the connection issues that plagued Bionic owners in the beginning. I also never got any updates. Bionics have been through 3-4? overhauls/OTA's trying to correct issues and update to GB. I never got any of them. My Bionic worked, so I didn't care.

Then one day several months back at the time GB was rolling out, my 4g quit. Lots of VZW techs couldn't figure it out. Someone here on DF said change your sim card. I got VZW to swap it out. 4g came back. Then within the course of about 3 hours I went through 12+ months of 3-4 updates to GB where I am now. So I have never gotten any update the regular way since Bionic hit the stores when mine was new

So I am concerned I won't get an update. I run my whole business on the phone, so I do not want to try DLing any update. I want the VZW OTA.