Changing Phone's Name...

Egriko0042

Reaction score
Hello forum.

I was wondering if anyone knew how to change the name of the phone? Or if this is even possible? For example, Windows sees the device as "Motorola A855" and the Dalvik Debug Monitor lists it as a long string of numbers. Just curious if renaming the phone is possible.

Thanks!

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Really?, my computer sees mines as removable storage J:

PyroManiac

Reaction score
he's not talking about the "mounted SD card in my computer". He is talking about in Device Manager. I do not believe it is possible as this should be hard coded on a "Read only" chip on the board, like a MAC...but i may be wrong on that..

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I was at lunch yesterday and someone else with a bluetooth headset asked to pair with my phone. In discovery mode I came across 2 other typical phone type names and one phone named "Lola" :)

Tehjojo

Reaction score
Settings > Bluetooth Settings > Device Name

Of course that is only for bluetooth I believe..

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
he's not talking about the "mounted SD card in my computer". He is talking about in Device Manager. I do not believe it is possible as this should be hard coded on a "Read only" chip on the board, like a MAC...but i may be wrong on that..

I use a Mac and when I mount my Droid I get an icon that says "no name". Since the only time this icon appears is when I mount my Droid, I do see a need to change the name, so I've not tried.

Mike

mikes

Reaction score
What do you consider the "phone name?"

The phone appears on USB with USB VID 22B8 & PID 41D9 (different if debug is turned on). USB also provides "iManufacturer" and "iProduct" strings as part of the device descriptor, which is where the "Motorola A855" comes from, so that's really only it's name on USB. This is probably set by one of the files under /system/framework, but it's probably not a good idea to try to change it, it might cause driver havoc.

If you mount the SD card, you can change the volume name in Windows, same as other disks.

There's a name which appears to Bluetooth devices, as has been mentioned, which can be changed in settings.

There's the "model number," shown under "About phone," which you might be able to change in the file /system/build.prop.

There's the banner which appears on the lock screen, which is ERI (Enhanced Roaming Indication) text, usually "Verizon Wireless." This is defined in res/xml/eri.xml, which is inside of /system/framework/framework-res.apk.