Changed my mind--in a good way!

hoosiermama

Reaction score
I haven't posted here much, except when I've had a problem and came here looking for some help. My son and I both got Droids in April, and I'll admit, they took some getting used to. We were both "cheek dialing" and hanging up on everyone. At one point, I considered returning the Droids and getting either the Incredible or something else.

We both decided to wait it out and see if we could adjust. Following advice here, I downloaded Screen Suite, which has helped me immensely. I have found that I must have a deformed face, though :icon_eek: because if I fill in the emergency contact stuff, it will switch over to that and begin dialing my emergency contact in the middle of a call :).

Neither of us hang up on someone inadvertently any more, which is a good thing. I've found tons of apps that make the phone so much fun to use, and am loving Pandora.

So anyway, I wanted to say thank you for the help from members here...and consider me a Droid lover now!

amajamar

Reaction score
That situation is strange. The Droid has a sensor to prevent that from happening. In fact, my phone is so sensitive that even having a finger near the top of my screen will shut the screen off so that it cannot dial. Maybe there is a setting that can disable/enable that feature, although I can't find one.

rkeller62

Reaction score
The proximity sensor should prevent what you are talking about. This can not work properly for several reasons:

1. The sensor is faulty. To test place a call and put in speaker mode. While watching the screen, place a finger on/near the screen above and left of the Motorola logo at top of screen. The screen should go off and come back on when you move your finger away.

2. Hair - many people have stated that long hair over your ears messes with the sensor and makes it not work properly. Try sweeping your hair behind your ear and see if that helps.

3. Holding phone away from ear/face to prevent 'cheek dialing.' Hold top of phone right up against your ear to make sure to activate the proximity sensor.

Hopefully one of these suggestions will work for you.

specmac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The proximity sensor should prevent what you are talking about. This can not work properly for several reasons:

1. The sensor is faulty. To test place a call and put in speaker mode. While watching the screen, place a finger on/near the screen above and left of the Motorola logo at top of screen. The screen should go off and come back on when you move your finger away.

2. Hair - many people have stated that long hair over your ears messes with the sensor and makes it not work properly. Try sweeping your hair behind your ear and see if that helps.

3. Holding phone away from ear/face to prevent 'cheek dialing.' Hold top of phone right up against your ear to make sure to activate the proximity sensor.

Or you have a screen protector covering up the two sensor dots in the upper right hand corner of the face above the screen.

OP
H

hoosiermama

Reaction score
I haven't hung up on anyone in weeks, so either I was doing something wrong, or Screen Suite helped solve the issue.

In any case, I have been happy with the phone for quite awhile now!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I haven't hung up on anyone in weeks, so either I was doing something wrong, or Screen Suite helped solve the issue.

In any case, I have been happy with the phone for quite awhile now!

Glad to hear it. The Droid is a marvelous phone, and is only going to get better when 2.2 is released on it.

coolcat600

Reaction score

Haha! Thank you! My wife has been yelling at me for a few days now because she keeps hanging up on the people she's talking to. I showed her (and told her to make sure to keep her hair behind her ear) and she shouldn't have any problems now!dancedroid

JoeJxn

Reaction score
That situation is strange. The Droid has a sensor to prevent that from happening. In fact, my phone is so sensitive that even having a finger near the top of my screen will shut the screen off so that it cannot dial. Maybe there is a setting that can disable/enable that feature, although I can't find one.

I LOVE THIS FEATURE

I love that when I take the phone away from my face, it'll turn the screen back on so that I can hit a number on the dialpad

eblambda2

Reaction score

Well, I just tried that test. I placed my finger on the little sensors several times. It did not turn off the screen once. Is my sensor faulty then? :icon_eek:

rkeller62

Reaction score
Well, I just tried that test. I placed my finger on the little sensors several times. It did not turn off the screen once. Is my sensor faulty then? :icon_eek:

The sensor only turns the screen off if you are on a call. So, if you were on a call, the sensor could be bad. Have vzw check it out. If you weren't on a call try the test again when you are.