How to download a link from SMS/Text Message

VegasFlip

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've got a text message with a link for a ringtone, and when I click on the link, it just plays the song. How do I save the link or download the file? I tried hitting the menu button both when the text message is open & when the song is playing, but neither seem to offer a download option...

I tried searching in here for the answer, and actually found someone ask the same question referencing the same site, but I didn't see a reply. I think the question got lost since it was a pretty long thread...

Any help is appreciated...=)

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Press and hold it; you should get some more options.

The long press is the master of options on the droid, very similar to a right click on the computer.

OP
V

VegasFlip

Reaction score
Hi nerdbox08,

I actually also tried pressing on the link and holding it, and the options I am given is:

Lock Message
Send email to:
Add to contacts
Forward
Copy Message Text
View Message details
Delete Message
Speak text

Is this the press & hold it option you were referring too? Or should I be pressing another button? I tried holding down the menu button longer than normal to see if that did anything, but nothing happened...

OP
V

VegasFlip

Reaction score
Nope, that's not one of the options. I've only had my phone a few weeks, do I need to configure the SD card in anyway prior to being able to save anything to it? And I know I've got the card in there since when I check my memory, it says I have 14+ gigs of space

nerdbox08

Reaction score
I was just thinking about this and I think this requires the 'work around'.

You can either A) Try using Handcent as your messaging application or you can have your friend 'email' the sound file to your phone number like so: (000)[email protected] (with your phone number as the address).

The phone is a bit silly in handling sound files and if I remember correctly, it won't work through default messaging. Why the phone is set up that way, I'll never understand, but those are the best options I've come across.

Handcent might not actually work, it's been a long time since I attempted to download an audio file via text message.

OP
V

VegasFlip

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm already using Handcent as my messaging application, and it's not working. I'll try downloading the file and emailing the file to my phone as suggested...

Thanks nerdbox08, appreciate the fast help...=)

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm already using Handcent as my messaging application, and it's not working. I'll try downloading the file and emailing the file to my phone as suggested...

Thanks nerdbox08, appreciate the fast help...=)

To the long press on the file, hit forward and try the [email protected] option. It should come through as an email and you should be able to download it.

But like I said, it's been a while. >.<

OP
V

VegasFlip

Reaction score
I think I might have to try this another day. I tried as you sugested, or at least I think I did, and the option to download or save to SD still wasn't there. So I tried sending it to my email from my computer as an attachment, opened the email in the Droid, and opening the mp3 file was still the only option. It'll play the mp3, just no option to save the file. Oh well, I'll give it another shot tomorrow...=)

warrior21

Reaction score
Hi nerdbox08,

I actually also tried pressing on the link and holding it, and the options I am given is:

Lock Message
Send email to:
Add to contacts
Forward
Copy Message Text
View Message details
Delete Message
Speak text

Is this the press & hold it option you were referring too? Or should I be pressing another button? I tried holding down the menu button longer than normal to see if that did anything, but nothing happened...
These are the options you get when you long press on the actual message bubble if there wasn't any attachment. Did you try long pressing outside the bubble next to it? I've send and received plenty of ringtones so I know it can be done

Last edited:
OP
V

VegasFlip

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply warrior21,
I tried long pressing outside the bubble and nothing happens. I also tried long pressing in an email with an attachment and there is no option to download or save to SD card. The only option in the email is to open the file, and then the music starts playing...

warrior21

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply warrior21,
I tried long pressing outside the bubble and nothing happens. I also tried long pressing in an email with an attachment and there is no option to download or save to SD card. The only option in the email is to open the file, and then the music starts playing...
That is strange. I just went in and double checked mine and different options pop up for me whenever I have any type of attachment, whether its a video, picture, or ringtone. I'll research a little and see if I come up with anything

warrior21

Reaction score
OP
V

VegasFlip

Reaction score
The text message with the link to the mp3 came from Cellsea.com, but I also tried emailing myself the mp3 as an attachment to both my aol & gmail accounts, to see if there was any difference, and when I opened the email in the Droid, the only options were to open the file, and once open, it would just play, no further options were available at that point...