How to download a link from SMS/Text Message

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by VegasFlip, May 3, 2010.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. VegasFlip

VegasFlip New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,

I've got a text message with a link for a ringtone, and when I click on the link, it just plays the song. How do I save the link or download the file? I tried hitting the menu button both when the text message is open & when the song is playing, but neither seem to offer a download option...

I tried searching in here for the answer, and actually found someone ask the same question referencing the same site, but I didn't see a reply. I think the question got lost since it was a pretty long thread...

Any help is appreciated...=)
  2. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Press and hold it; you should get some more options.

The long press is the master of options on the droid, very similar to a right click on the computer.
  3. VegasFlip

VegasFlip New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi nerdbox08,

I actually also tried pressing on the link and holding it, and the options I am given is:

Lock Message
    Send email to:
    Add to contacts
    Forward
    Copy Message Text
    View Message details
    Delete Message
    Speak text

Is this the press & hold it option you were referring too? Or should I be pressing another button? I tried holding down the menu button longer than normal to see if that did anything, but nothing happened...
  4. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You don't get an option that says "Copy attached to SD card"?
  5. VegasFlip

VegasFlip New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, that's not one of the options. I've only had my phone a few weeks, do I need to configure the SD card in anyway prior to being able to save anything to it? And I know I've got the card in there since when I check my memory, it says I have 14+ gigs of space
  6. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was just thinking about this and I think this requires the 'work around'.

You can either A) Try using Handcent as your messaging application or you can have your friend 'email' the sound file to your phone number like so: (000)000-0000@vzwpix.com (with your phone number as the address).

The phone is a bit silly in handling sound files and if I remember correctly, it won't work through default messaging. Why the phone is set up that way, I'll never understand, but those are the best options I've come across.

Handcent might not actually work, it's been a long time since I attempted to download an audio file via text message.
  7. VegasFlip

VegasFlip New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I'm already using Handcent as my messaging application, and it's not working. I'll try downloading the file and emailing the file to my phone as suggested...

Thanks nerdbox08, appreciate the fast help...=)
  8. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0

To the long press on the file, hit forward and try the phonenumber@vzwpix.com option. It should come through as an email and you should be able to download it.

But like I said, it's been a while. >.<
  9. VegasFlip

VegasFlip New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think I might have to try this another day. I tried as you sugested, or at least I think I did, and the option to download or save to SD still wasn't there. So I tried sending it to my email from my computer as an attachment, opened the email in the Droid, and opening the mp3 file was still the only option. It'll play the mp3, just no option to save the file. Oh well, I'll give it another shot tomorrow...=)
  10. warrior21

warrior21 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    These are the options you get when you long press on the actual message bubble if there wasn't any attachment. Did you try long pressing outside the bubble next to it? I've send and received plenty of ringtones so I know it can be done
    Last edited: May 3, 2010
  11. VegasFlip

VegasFlip New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply warrior21,
    I tried long pressing outside the bubble and nothing happens. I also tried long pressing in an email with an attachment and there is no option to download or save to SD card. The only option in the email is to open the file, and then the music starts playing...
  12. warrior21

warrior21 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That is strange. I just went in and double checked mine and different options pop up for me whenever I have any type of attachment, whether its a video, picture, or ringtone. I'll research a little and see if I come up with anything
  13. VegasFlip

VegasFlip New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  14. warrior21

warrior21 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I looked around and it looks like other people have had the same issues when they get rintones from places like Myxer and Phonezoo. Did you get this from a site like that or did someone else send it to you.
  15. VegasFlip

VegasFlip New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The text message with the link to the mp3 came from Cellsea.com, but I also tried emailing myself the mp3 as an attachment to both my aol & gmail accounts, to see if there was any difference, and when I opened the email in the Droid, the only options were to open the file, and once open, it would just play, no further options were available at that point...
Search tags for this page
android sms download button
android text message download button
download button in text message
download link sms teks
how to click on a link in a text message
how to download message
how to save a web link from a text message on a galaxy s4
m.cellsea.com

mms@cellsea.com

text message download