How many users have text messaging with their calling plan?

OyVOid

Reaction score
In the past, I've had annoying spams and text messages sent to my number so I had Verizon block my text messaging feature. Prime example, today, I received 5 text messages from the same person thinking he/she was reaching someone they know. I finally had to reply and say I'm that that person they are trying to reach. Just found today by talking to a Verizon rep that when I got my new Droid (at the end of Nov) that the blocking feature wasn't carried over to my new calling plan. So, all those messages plus the one I replied to cost 20 cents each.

I asked the Verizon rep how much to add text messaging to my plan. $5.00 per month for 250 text messages not to exceed 160 characters.

Bottomline: How many of Droid users have text messaging?
Is it worth? I am already paying $100/month for 2 lines.

I don't text message at all, mainly because I think it is stupid. I have email. I can email or call anyone I am trying to reach anytime. Why text? Maybe I can see the value when I am bury alive under an earthquake? But by then it's too late. No?

r314bd

Reaction score
I don't text message at all, mainly because I think it is stupid. I have email. I can email or call anyone I am trying to reach anytime. Why text?
Whenever I read comments like this it reminds me of the infamous (albeit falsely attributed) Bill Gates quote that "640kb should be enough for anybody." Millions of people see great value in text messaging even if you think it's stupid, so to speak.

Personally I like it because it's informal and immediate; I know the recipient will probably get it instantly...not always the case with email. It's also discrete/quiet, and won't bother the people around you like calling will.

But to answer your question, yes I'm on a 3 line Nationwide Talk and Text family plan, couldn't live without texting

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
unlimeted text i need it more than minutes i used 130 minutes last month but almost 1000 text messages :icon_eek:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have the 250/5.00 plan. Sometimes I go over but if I think I'm going to i switch too google voice.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have the 250/5.00 plan. Sometimes I go over but if I think I'm going to i switch too google voice.

GV:icon_ banana:
Have VWZ sms disabled (after switching to VZW I started receiving spam-txt:mad:). Like the GV because 1) it's archived onto my Google account (useful when flashing ROMs often) and 2) I have GV set to forward the sms to my email, so it's one less program I have to mess with (just use my email client for everything).

ZBoater

Reaction score
Unlimited talk and text for the wife and I. She uses it for work (as a pager), and it was only a few buck more to not have to worry about it.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm on a family share plan with my two cousins/roommates, but I'm confused as to how you don't already have texts included. I've got the "unlimited date/text" for smartphones, and so does my cousin with a Droid. The outcast (lol) has a BB Storm, and he's got the BB plan with unlimited data/text as well.

I agree with others that texting is quite useful. I don't like talking on the phone anyway...None of the three of us really do. Between our Friend-Family numbers, we probably never touch our minutes for the most part.

The think I like about texting is that sometimes I just want to tell someone something quick and simple. BAM text sent.

Not everyone that I know uses e-mail on a regular basis...My mom, dad, and sister who all text me and who I text back MIGHT check their e-mail once a week...in a good week.

However, I ALWAYS get a response at least on the same day when I text them.

Personal preference I guess, but my only real point is that they should've set you up with unlimited data/messaging when you got the Droid. I understood that this was either the ONLY real option, or the BEST option. Either way, we've been pleased with it.

If you NEVER text and NEVER care to receive a text, go ahead and block all of them. If you find yourself getting spam texts, you can block up to 10 numbers via VZW's website. There's also a code you can text to a specific number that will add blocked numbers to the list that you setup on the site, but I don't have it handy...

Do what works best for you! If you don't want it, you don't have to have it. Shouldn't matter what the rest of us do. :D

Last edited:
OP
O

OyVOid

Reaction score
I'm on a family share plan with my two cousins/roommates, but I'm confused as to how you don't already have texts included. I've got the "unlimited date/text" for smartphones, and so does my cousin with a Droid. The outcast (lol) has a BB Storm, and he's got the BB plan with unlimited data/text as well.

I agree with others that texting is quite useful. I don't like talking on the phone anyway...None of the three of us really do. Between our Friend-Family numbers, we probably never touch our minutes for the most part.

The think I like about texting is that sometimes I just want to tell someone something quick and simple. BAM text sent.

Not everyone that I know uses e-mail on a regular basis...My mom, dad, and sister who all text me and who I text back MIGHT check their e-mail once a week...in a good week.

However, I ALWAYS get a response at least on the same day when I text them.

Personal preference I guess, but my only real point is that they should've set you up with unlimited data/messaging when you got the Droid. I understood that this was either the ONLY real option, or the BEST option. Either way, we've been pleased with it.

If you NEVER text and NEVER care to receive a text, go ahead and block all of them. If you find yourself getting spam texts, you can block up to 10 numbers via VZW's website. There's also a code you can text to a specific number that will add blocked numbers to the list that you setup on the site, but I don't have it handy...

Do what works best for you! If you don't want it, you don't have to have it. Shouldn't matter what the rest of us do. :D

Yes, I guess it all boils down to user preference. Because I love talking to my friends and family on the phone. Just hearing their voices makes me happy. So, to each their own. I live my days at work emailing and I guess I prefer to speak to people one on one instead of texting which has no emotional connection for me.

Lars

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
My wife and I both have androids (she has the Eris), and we carried over our texting plan from our previous phones. We are each on the $10/month plan, which includes 500 messages AND unlimited within Verizon. I would say 90% of the people we text are on Verizon, so we never come close to using the 500 allotted for anyone non-verizon. It's a nice step down from the unlimited packages, because we essentially get unlimited with a reasonable allowance for a handful of people.

I also agree with those talking about the convenience behind texting. I almost always get a response immediately, and it's great for quick questions or comments. My wife and I use it all the time when planning dinner, or for quick questions during the day. I can't always step away from my desk to take a personal call, but I can usually make a discreet text, and this tends to be the case for everyone I know.

Last edited:

MOBILE123

Reaction score
In the past, I've had annoying spams and text messages sent to my number so I had Verizon block my text messaging feature. Prime example, today, I received 5 text messages from the same person thinking he/she was reaching someone they know. I finally had to reply and say I'm that that person they are trying to reach. Just found today by talking to a Verizon rep that when I got my new Droid (at the end of Nov) that the blocking feature wasn't carried over to my new calling plan. So, all those messages plus the one I replied to cost 20 cents each.

I asked the Verizon rep how much to add text messaging to my plan. $5.00 per month for 250 text messages not to exceed 160 characters.

Bottomline: How many of Droid users have text messaging?
Is it worth? I am already paying $100/month for 2 lines.

I don't text message at all, mainly because I think it is stupid. I have email. I can email or call anyone I am trying to reach anytime. Why text? Maybe I can see the value when I am bury alive under an earthquake? But by then it's too late. No?
well, yeah, you can email or call anyone at anytime, but that is not the point of text messaging. If you email and if it goes to spam or the recipient doesn't look at theri email for 24 or 48 hours what good is the communication channel for an immediate need. On the other hand you call and if the recipient doesn't listen to vmail (Large % of cell phone users don't even use the voice feature and growing!) til it is convenient...again what good is it? if you want an immediate response...the ONLY sure way of getting that response is with a text message. It is proven!

bastosero

Reaction score
Yeah, I had the 450 Voice and 250 Texts (for $5) plan first when I got my Droid. Then I switched to the 450 Voice and Unlimited Texts over three weeks ago (I was texting a lot more now for some reason). Now, I might change it again to a family plan of 700 Voice and Unlimited Texts. Change, change, change...it's inevitable. LOL :)