You cannot call the police??? WTF?

OP
F

Frank2211

Reaction score
You have a MORAL IMPERATIVE to immediately make this aware to the developer of the app AND Android market

I would not want to be in your shoes right now if someone unkowingly was injured or killed because this bug was not shared with the above people. I trust you have done this already.

Calm down, I did write most of the developers I could get a hold on. Only one answered:

Michał Motyczko [email protected] 19.12.11
Hey,

Sorry for not responding. I know about that issue and already tried to fix it but it seems that android won't allow to directly dial emergency numbers like 911, 112 and maybe other. I think this permission is available only to system apps unfortunatelly :( What dialer works for you all the time? I would like to check it and maybe contact dev to ask how it is done - maybe there is a way :)

Regards

So why don't you go ahead blahblah2, now that you know, and try to get hold on someone from Googles Android Team??

And while you are at it, try to find a dialer that works and pass that information to Michał Motyczko.

Thanks anyway to Dave12308.

Frank

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Since this got a nice 5 month bump....lol. The developer that responded, I believe, is correct. Google made it so only system apps can do certain tasks (clear voice mail notifications, missed call notifications, etc) and dialing 911 may fall under this category. I am rooted and will install this app as a system app and then try and report my findings back to this thread. Since I don't really want to call 911....lol. Can you tell me what happens when you try to dial? Call failed message or anything?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Absolutely spot on. It also keeps emergency mode on for several minutes after you hang up, during which your GPS location is being logged. Again, it's designed for your protection.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Ah so that explains it, a week ago while walking my dogs I heard gun shots. I called 911 and reported it. Several minutes after I was stuck in this wierd mode. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

meishkov

Reaction score
Since this got a nice 5 month bump....lol. The developer that responded, I believe, is correct. Google made it so only system apps can do certain tasks (clear voice mail notifications, missed call notifications, etc) and dialing 911 may fall under this category. I am rooted and will install this app as a system app and then try and report my findings back to this thread. Since I don't really want to call 911....lol. Can you tell me what happens when you try to dial? Call failed message or anything?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yea man I saw the thread in the latest n figured it was sometin new, not from December haha. That is crazy tho, glad I love the way my ROM looks and the dialer so I wouldn't need to change the phone.apk, but that's a pretty bad time to figure out That 911 doesn't work, when u absolutely need to call it...yikes.
Does definitely sound like it's somethin to do about it not being a /system app like the normal dialer or phone apk. I'm guessing only system apps would have access to the E911 features.

Sent from my OG using DroidForums

B

bens42608

All devs should have to explain this very clearly b4 any1 downloads their dialer app. It would suck if I was being murdered n the killer turned his back n I had like 2 seconds to dial 911 n the dialer wouldn't work. Gotta fricken uninstall it or switch back to stock dialer and get shot in the process

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

SallyC

Reaction score
I have searched but been unable to find any discussion of this kind of problem. Texting 911 is problem, but not calling. The only issue I can find with calling 911 from a cell phone is that the dispatch does not immediately know where you are, like they do with land lines.

Obviously I don't really want to check this out by calling 911 a bunch of times to see if it works, but it's curious that I'm not finding any mention of this elsewhere.

OP
F

Frank2211

Reaction score
You dial 911, 110 whatever and hit "dial". Instead of dialing you end up in the default dialer and it is NOT dialing. It just sits there and waits. Very annoying. Go ahead you can try with the emergency number which isn't vaild for your country.
That is the only reason why I still have the default dialer in my dock. I would love to get rid of it. If Google forces you to use the default dialer for safety reasons, it should DIAL, shouldn't it?

Frank

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...even after installing as a system app, it sends me to the stock dialer and won't dial. Very odd...could this be a framework thing?

jerkwad

Reaction score
Ah so that explains it, a week ago while walking my dogs I heard gun shots. I called 911 and reported it. Several minutes after I was stuck in this wierd mode. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

you should move ;-)

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
The only issue I can find with calling 911 from a cell phone is that the dispatch does not immediately know where you are, like they do with land lines.

Yeah that is a problem the call takers usually have 15 seconds or so until they can re-transmit the cell information to pick up what they call "Wireless Phase 2". Getting that will get your location to a few hundred meters since its triangulates from the three closest cell towers. Still even after they have that if you are unable to speak best they can do is canvas the area looking for someone dying with a cell phone in their hand.