You cannot call the police??? WTF?

Frank2211

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I installed a dialer app (dialer one and Tochpal Dialer) and I am satisfied with them.

However, I found a major bug in all dialers, so I guess it is OS related.
When you dial a three number code like 911, 110 (not 222) the application will not dial in 80 % of the time. Which is a very bad bug as these numbers are emergency numbers and always should work!
I figured this bug out because I had to call the police and could not!
These things just cannot happen! I spend the last hour looking for a dialer that suits my needs (one touch dial/ nearly all) AND works 100% all the time!
I tried rocket dial (paid app) and it has the same issue.
Anyone knows any dialer that works?
Is this bug known to be android or droid razr related? In addition, when will it be fixed?

I think this is a serious issue and should be dealt accordingly…

Kind regards
Frank

Last edited:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
are you 100% stock? or running a custom rom (isn't there one now for the Razr? :))?

I had to dial 911 recently on my Bionic - first time I've ever dialed 911 on a cellphone... it goes into some sort of emergency mode for a few minutes after that - maybe it doesn't use minutes? I don't know... I'm wondering if that caused the error - but just guessing.

OP
F

Frank2211

Reaction score
Hi jntdroid.
Thx for answering to this important thread.
My RAZR is 100% out of the box.
What is does is to ask me which application should handle..."the call". I think this is because I had several dialer apps installed. If you select the same dialer app you tried to place the call with to handle .. "the call", you simply cannot dial 911 !
After I selected the standard telephone app to handle "the call" it pastes the emergency number into the standard dialer app.

Plain and simple put: It does NOT dial after pressing "110" and "Dial". Or 911 for that matter...!

Last edited:

ddfuji

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I installed a dialer app (dialer one and Tochpal Dialer) and I am satisfied with them.

However, I found a major bug in all dialers, so I guess it is OS related.
When you dial a three number code like 911, 110 (not 222) the application will not dial in 80 % of the time. Which is a very bad bug as these numbers are emergency numbers and always should work!
I figured this bug out because I had to call the police and could not!
These things just cannot happen! I spend the last hour looking for a dialer that suits my needs (one touch dial/ nearly all) AND works 100% all the time!
I tried rocket dial (paid app) and it has the same issue.
Anyone knows any dialer that works?
Is this bug known to be android or droid razr related? In addition, when will it be fixed?

I think this is a serious issue and should be dealt accordingly…

Kind regards
Frank

WhaTS wrong with the stock dialer???

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

ddfuji

Reaction score

not really off subject when you went from something that could dial 911 to something that couldn't dial 911 (big issue). at this point your gonna have to decide if you would rather have a phone dialer that's better looking/easier to use or or a phone dialer that allows you to dial 911 that could possibly save your life. it looks like all these apps are having the same issue. i think the stock dialer works just fine, but that's my personal opinion. that link did have some good points about the stock dialer. you can keep looking around and maybe there will be one that works. it could be that the razr is so fresh that development is more focused on unlocking the phone and getting custom roms for ppl. maybe with custom roms we can possibly have a working/better dialer. maybe this dialer issue cant be fixed till the razr is unlocked. but who knows. all speculation.

OP
F

Frank2211

Reaction score
I see. That’s exactly why I first tried to change settings on the stock dialer to change it to my needs before I downloaded an app.
As I seem not be the only one with that issue:
TouchPal Dialer - Android app on AppBrain

I asked if there is a working app. If there is not I will have to live with a second best solution.
As all dialers seem to have the same problem Google and/or Motorola really should look into this. And of course the people building custom roms.
To collect hints, get to know the reasons for this bug and maybe find a solution I created this thread…!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
are you 100% stock? or running a custom rom (isn't there one now for the Razr? :))?

I had to dial 911 recently on my Bionic - first time I've ever dialed 911 on a cellphone... it goes into some sort of emergency mode for a few minutes after that - maybe it doesn't use minutes? I don't know... I'm wondering if that caused the error - but just guessing.

Yeah it does not charge you minutes for emergency calls, and it also boosts your signal in case you are in a poor reception area. Any cell phone even one without service can call 911, which is why we tell people that let their babies play with their phones to take the battery out. Because every time those greasy little bastards end up calling 911, try explaining to a 1 year old to give the phone to mommy so we can chew her out for being dumb. :)

ChristieLeeEMT

Reaction score
Dialer is ok.

...Because every time those greasy little bastards end up calling 911, try explaining to a 1 year old to give the phone to mommy so we can chew her out for being dumb. :)

@sydman, u wouldn't happen to be an emergency dispatcher would u? LOL

I don't have any major issues with the stock dialer. I like the one on my original droid better, but this one does work, so I'm not gonna "fix" what isn't broken, u know?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
This is pretty interesting. I wonder if it's just with his Razr or other phones with custom dialers.

Jonas

Reaction score
Emergency mode also enables what's called E911. Its a nifty little feautre that uses brute force to force your phone to turn on GPS and if your call is lost, for whatever reason, the location of the phone is sent to the dispatcher. Its a huge safety feature, and there's no way to turn it off. I would be worried my phone couldn't dial 911, but I would report this to the dev of the app. He might shed some light on it.

Sent from my Banana Phone

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Emergency mode also enables what's called E911. Its a nifty little feautre that uses brute force to force your phone to turn on GPS and if your call is lost, for whatever reason, the location of the phone is sent to the dispatcher. Its a huge safety feature, and there's no way to turn it off. I would be worried my phone couldn't dial 911, but I would report this to the dev of the app. He might shed some light on it.

Absolutely spot on. It also keeps emergency mode on for several minutes after you hang up, during which your GPS location is being logged. Again, it's designed for your protection.

Jonas

Reaction score
Absolutely spot on. It also keeps emergency mode on for several minutes after you hang up, during which your GPS location is being logged. Again, it's designed for your protection.

If I'm not mistaken, it was a bill that was passed by congress a year or two back that made it a law that all phones must have it now.

blahblah2

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

However, I found a major bug in all dialers...
Frank

You have a MORAL IMPERATIVE to immediately make this aware to the developer of the app AND Android market

I would not want to be in your shoes right now if someone unkowingly was injured or killed because this bug was not shared with the above people. I trust you have done this already.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
You have a MORAL IMPERATIVE to immediately make this aware to the developer of the app AND Android market

I would not want to be in your shoes right now if someone unkowingly was injured or killed because this bug was not shared with the above people. I trust you have done this already.

So it's the OP's fault that ALL the dialer apps seem to have that bug? So he's supposed to single out every developer of a dialer app and let them know, and it's HIS moral imperitive?

I think he did fine making a thread about it. I don't think it's the OP's responsibility if somone dies or gets hurt, and I don't think it's your place to come in here and make him feel like it is.

He's a freakin' Droid user on a forum just like the rest of us, not Ralph Nader........