can motodroid be more phone use friendly?

rosesdroid

Reaction score
I have found the droid to be a poor option for making calls. The three steps you must go thru to call someone is crazy. Could I be missing something? Also does anyone find that the screen will not auto flip sometimes and the screen freezes with texting? Is it just mine?
Thanks

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't see how you're going to make a call on ANY smartphone without going through 3 steps?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't see how you're going to make a call on ANY smartphone without going through 3 steps?

With a Storm all you did was hit the voice command key and then you could do a voice call.

Doesn't by any means make the Storm a better device, but it is one thing that Droid doesn't do as well.

spalding12

Reaction score
this has been a trend for some time

"smartphones" really don't make "calling" a priority
the best solution is putting a bunch of TRUE SHORTCUTS on your desktop
it only takes a few minute to do so
as for "COLD" dialing a non-stored number....
that's ALWAYS going to be a multi-step process... on anything but a flip phone, these days

good luck

xliderider

Reaction score
put a shortcut on yur homescreen

To the OP, create the shortcut by long pressing on an open area of your home screen. Select Shortcut, Direct Dial, select the contact. You can also open your app drawer and long press on the Phone app and make a shortcut to your phone app on your home screen.

If you have a lot of direct dial contacts, you can select make a folder instead of shortcut after long press and move your direct dial shortcuts into the new folder. Rename the folder by opening the folder, then long press on the folder header (top) and edit the name.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

With a Storm all you did was hit the voice command key and then you could do a voice call.

Doesn't by any means make the Storm a better device, but it is one thing that Droid doesn't do as well.

Hold down your search button and you get a voice command option. It's voice recognition for calls is kinda is lousy but it's still there. Learn new things everyday.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have found the droid to be a poor option for making calls. The three steps you must go thru to call someone is crazy. Could I be missing something? Also does anyone find that the screen will not auto flip sometimes and the screen freezes with texting? Is it just mine?
Thanks

3 steps to make a phone call is not as bad as you seem to make it out to be. Smart phones as stated are there for ALOT more then making phone calls. While it has phone capabilities a lot of companies are starting to see that checking email and texting are starting to be priorities over phone usage.

I've never had mine freeze while texting.

Pam

Reaction score
I for one am glad someone posted this and am just here to chime in my support. As a new PDA user, this has been driving me nuts, too. I wasn't aware this would be the case and I more than 5o % of the time just want to be able open my phone and make a call. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Droid, but I still use it mainly for a phone. I do wish there was some way to see it so the first window was my phone screen. Ah, well. The trade off is worth it for all the other great stuff it does.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As stated if the voice command screen was better, this wouldn't even be an issue in my book, but seeing as when i say "call home" it calls everyone but home lol. But i think that has more to do with me calling it home. since almost all my users have a "home" number.

flyer05

Reaction score
Yeah, voice recognition is bad and it will only search the web. All settings are correct and it still only gives web results. Contacts are not looked at. tried an aftermarket voice dialer, better but still bad. Hope they fix it.

SirSyeco

Reaction score
If you're using the phone alot then you may want to be aware of leaving the contacts/phone screen up.

The Droid stays on whatever the last screen was being used. That said, just make sure to leave it where you want it and it will save you one step.

Side note.. my last three phones (one smart, one flip, one not flip) all had about 3 steps so it seems the same to me. It does take a little getting used to, but now I am so its as easy as ever.

OP
rosesdroid

rosesdroid

Reaction score
Thanks Pam,
It seems as a new smartphone user myself, I was thinking there would be a more easy access to the phone. I see the htcpro2 and most other smartphones have send and end buttons on the lower end of the phones. I thought these acted as easy access to call logs and end calls buttons. The droid does not offer these. I am considering a htcpro2 touch. This is my second droid... the first was dying after just a few texts, and it would go to silent mode automatically while locked.
I like the features, but I am not seeing the speed that everyone is talking about. I might be in a bad rural area, but hey we use the internet here too...

OP
rosesdroid

rosesdroid

Reaction score
Is there a way to make a shortcut to favorites?...that would be a big help. I have not seen the option to choose "favorites" as a shortcut...but I am new to this