Call recording

JScharf92

Reaction score
What is the best app to record calls on the droid x? if possible can it record both what both of us are saying? running stock gingerbread ota

bacchanal

Reaction score
I've been trying to find a recorder that records both sides of a conversation that works for razr, but forums seem to be lacking on the subject... To avoid derailment, PLEASE DO NOT POST ABOUT LEGALITY. I don't care whether or not this is legal, I just want to know how to do it :)

If necessary, I may be willing to root...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I've been trying to find a recorder that records both sides of a conversation that works for razr, but forums seem to be lacking on the subject... To avoid derailment, PLEASE DO NOT POST ABOUT LEGALITY. I don't care whether or not this is legal, I just want to know how to do it :)

If necessary, I may be willing to root...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Motorola phones are not capable of recording BOTH sides of a conversation in a phone call. I am not aware of a workaround even with root that will give you this functionality. There may be a ROM that will come down and have that feature, but since it's so infrequently asked for, they may not devote the time to incorporate it - and that's if the phone is physically even able to do it via circuitry. I have heard that you can record calls with Google Voice, but I haven't tried it.

And for the record (even though you said it, there would be comments anyway so I am ALSO trying to prevent derailing...), it's only illegal to record both sides of a phone call if you are in a 2-party notice state (such as PA) and you don't notify BOTH parties, whereas it's completely legal to record both sides if you are in a single party notice state (like NJ), as long as one party (such as YOU) know the call is being recorded. It is 100% illegal to record a phone call when NEITHER party knows they're being recorded, and that goes for ALL states, since it's considered Wiretapping, and only through legal court order can it be done covertly. This is the primary reason why Motorola chose to eliminate that functionality, you see they didn't want to get wrapped up in some form of liability for having facilitated the illegal recording of a call and subject themselves to cost or prosecution. Just saying...

Last edited:

robert70

Reaction score
There are apps in the market that claim they can do such things, depending on the phone, there are many free ones, I suggest giving those a try.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Ssilk

Reaction score
I have now tried them all with my x2 and confirm that they do not work. Totall recall is a program I'm still playing with that I hope will work but not positive. I did get a split second of my voice out of it so....still playing with it. This sucks because I do a lot of interviews over the phone for magazines and hate that I can't just use my phone instead of another device to record externally on speaker phone. Grrr

P.s. Everyone on the line at the time, knows that I am recording the call before I record. Just to keep it respectful.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'll say this... I use my bionic as an mp3 player. I use it to listen to guitar parts on new songs. I plug it into my mustang 4 amp via the 3.5mm jack. And when I do, if someone calls I can hear them through my amp, and myself as well. U could record the conversation that way I would guess.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

gadgetech

Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that most of the apps that only record one side of the conversation can be used to record both sides if you put the phone on speakerphone. That way the microphone picks up both sides of the conversation, albeit rather poorly. Another alternative is a device I bought from Radio Shack that works through the headset jack with a wired headset. This one is similar to the one I bought, but with more adapters: Olympus Mini Tele-Recording Device - RadioShack.com. You will need a separate recording device, of course. I use a micro cassette, but anything that will record audio will work. A lot of MP3 players have a record function built in.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I remember reading somewhere that most of the apps that only record one side of the conversation can be used to record both sides if you put the phone on speakerphone. That way the microphone picks up both sides of the conversation, albeit rather poorly. Another alternative is a device I bought from Radio Shack that works through the headset jack with a wired headset. This one is similar to the one I bought, but with more adapters: Olympus Mini Tele-Recording Device - RadioShack.com. You will need a separate recording device, of course. I use a micro cassette, but anything that will record audio will work. A lot of MP3 players have a record function built in.

That's interesting. I have actually tried several of the recording apps that use the microphone just to see if this was so, but I have found that didn't work. I am aware that Motorola in particular is averse to phone call recording, and from what I have read elsewhere the ability to record calls may be available on phones not manufactured for distribution in the US, but is barred from our phones.

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
It depends on the state but in most including NY only ONE party needs to be aware of the recording so you are legally permitted to record your own phone calls. It is a common practice actually.

There is no legal reason Moto wouldn't allow it.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DroidForums

chrisf8657

Reaction score
Doesn't work on the iPhone either - it's been requested on it too. Only real solution is there are also some paid dial-in services that will record both sides...you call it up, enter the # to call, and it records both sides, then emails it to you or something like that.

Other option is to hook up a headset/mic combo to the headset port using a splitter to a Digital voice recorder or something like that...I did that with a plantronics phone landline phone I had awhile back - forgot how I rigged it though - it was pretty simple.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It depends on the state but in most including NY only ONE party needs to be aware of the recording so you are legally permitted to record your own phone calls. It is a common practice actually.

There is no legal reason Moto wouldn't allow it.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DroidForums

In fact there is a legal reason why they wouldn't do it. Even if only one state required all party disclosure and the phone was used to record a conversation covertly, the parties who were not notified could bring suit against Motorola for allowing the phone to do the recording. I'm not saying they'd win, but why put the possibility of such litigation out there for them to carry the risk of? They'd rather not have to pay an attorney or attorneys to defend their position, so the easy solution is to prevent it.

There has been plenty of discussion re this subject in past Motorola phones, and there have been ROMs written to replace the ROMs in the earlier Droids to allow recording, and the Devs pointed out the mod was a reversal of a deliberate code to stop it.

And for the record, the following are the states that require either one party or two (read ALL) party notification. So with 11 states, requiring two or all party notification, and with several of those states being heavily populated, I suspect the risk of potential litigation is too high.

States Requiring One Party Notification
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
Colorado
District Of Columbia
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Nebraska
Nevada
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Oklahoma
Oregon
Ohio
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

[h=3]States Requiring Two Party Notification[/h]
California
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Massachusetts
Maryland
Michigan
Montana
New Hampshire
Pennsylvania
Washington

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Doesn't work on the iPhone either - it's been requested on it too. Only real solution is there are also some paid dial-in services that will record both sides...you call it up, enter the # to call, and it records both sides, then emails it to you or something like that.

Other option is to hook up a headset/mic combo to the headset port using a splitter to a Digital voice recorder or something like that...I did that with a plantronics phone landline phone I had awhile back - forgot how I rigged it though - it was pretty simple.

Actually I believe there is another alternative, Google Voice apparently allows recording from what has been reported by others.

keithsmith22

Reaction score
Just an FYI.....google voice does record but only on incoming calls. You have to press 4 once the call has started and it will begin recording.

nikecar

Reaction score

+1

Get the y splitter. Plug one end of a headphones into it and a cable to a digital recorder in the other side. The digital recorder should pull your voice and the speaker at the same time.