Being throttled

dasfxt

Reaction score
Just got upgrade to a GN from a DX and I'm loving the 4G speeds.. usually get around 17mbs down and 8mbs up.. but eight days into the billing month and 2gigs later.. I'm getting 200kbps down and 6megs up.. I'm definitely getting throttled and I have an unlimited data plan.. I've read elsewhere for the Droid bionic or Razor that throttling occurs within the software and can be removed.. I'm rooted on stock from... any insight on this will be much appreciated.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

bhfd64

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Have your speeds been that way for long? As I understood it, the "throttling" is suppose to be on a tower-to-tower basis. If you were on a congested network they'd slow you down, but should return to normal once the network cleared out or you changed locations.

OP
D

dasfxt

Reaction score
I just noticed it tonight.. my upload speeds is still very fast.. just download... an I think I'm close to the cell towers around my home...

bhfd64

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I just noticed it tonight.. my upload speeds is still very fast.. just download... an I think I'm close to the cell towers around my home...

Are you on LTE? I saw there are more outages and drops in coverage again tonight.

Reaction score
I know the Nexus does not have Carrier IQ like the Bionic does, despite what anyone says. It has stuff on there that has the same icon as Carrier IQ. I.e. FakeBlur.apk or something like thst. Its been a little while since I had that POS. And that is how Verizon gets away with saying that they don't have Carrier IQ. They leave it up the the maufacturer in thos fase Moto. One of MANY reasons I ditched those idiots and got my Nexus and never looked back.

There are ways around it if you feel you are being throttled. I just don't remember what they are, how to do it. I know some ROMs have it baked in.

OP
D

dasfxt

Reaction score
Are you on LTE? I saw there are more outages and drops in coverage again tonight.

At my home.. I always have LTE.. I'm in the san Francisco east bay... if LTE is out, would I still get six to eight megs upload But only 300kbps download?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Verizon has said they don't throttle 4G phones (at least not yet). Seems to me something else is going on.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
At my home.. I always have LTE.. I'm in the san Francisco east bay... if LTE is out, would I still get six to eight megs upload But only 300kbps download?

My upload speed is always around 3200-4500kbps... my download speed is usually around 1700-2700kbps... but lastnight it was only 500kbps... they're tweaking towers from what I'm told. But your issue could be different idk
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

bhfd64

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Verizon has said they don't throttle 4G phones (at least not yet). Seems to me something else is going on.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I do remember seeing that too. I'd guess that it's related to network issues or some tower maintenance.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Might be a tower issue. I don't believe 4g phones get throttled, unless they just suddenly start doing it without warning....

I hit 6gb last month and haven't been throttled. I'm already at 3gb and I got til 2/7/12.

rjsurfer

Reaction score
All you have to do is call !

When they throttled my 3G USB modem line I was suddenly getting 640k up and down, a simple called confirmed I was being throttled for 30 days.

Ron W.