Verizon beings unlimited data throttle - Your response?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Notice how they only plan on throttling 3g. I'm thinking its because they invested so much money on advertising the FAST 4GLTE. And if they were to throttle 4gLTE, that would really piss off some people because they are advertising 4g for only its speed not as unlimited.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

Yeah but think of how lightning fast people would get to their throttling limit!

I am sure you are correct though. And at this point I have to assume there are still a large amount more people still utilizing 3g so it does make more sense.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Ahhhh I cant edit, forgot. I wanted to change it to say I know more people are. But no dice...

HI_Bio_Commando

Reaction score
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that networks outside of US are way faster, up to 4 times faster!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LTE and WIMAX are the only ACTUAL 4G products.

HSPA+ is 3.5(ish).

Sent from my A855, while on the move.

Rowzy

Reaction score
And according to wiki LTD 4G is not true 4g but rather 3.9G just a beefed up version of 3g as it does not meet the requirements to be 4g
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/3G

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Yes, it is not true 4g. The telcos get away with this false advertising through some sort of loop hole.

Dont worry people, they already cap their 4g services, too. That shiny new bionic on a $120 plan can only drink 5gb a month.

This could all be avoided but they love over selling everything and cramming as many people as possible through their towers and pipes. The $$$ theyre milking should be going to infastructure upgrades but its obviously not. Other countries are investing in their infastructure while American companies simply implement caps and charge more. Nice.

jseah

Reaction score
Dont worry people, they already cap their 4g services, too. That shiny new bionic on a $120 plan can only drink 5gb a month.

Not if you had a smartphone before they instituted tiered data. I have two Thunderbolts that were activated prior to tiered data, and I am grandfathered into unlimited. I just replaced the OG Droid on another line with the Bionic and still have unlimited data on that line. Eventually I will be replacing the two remaining Incredibles that I have with 4G phones, and unlimited data will be grandfathered on those lines as well. And on one of my Thunderbolts I added tethering (this was after tiered data went into effect), and because the phone is a 4G phone, the tethering is unlimited as well.

Rowzy

Reaction score
Not if you had a smartphone before they instituted tiered data. I have two Thunderbolts that were activated prior to tiered data, and I am grandfathered into unlimited. I just replaced the OG Droid on another line with the Bionic and still have unlimited data on that line. Eventually I will be replacing the two remaining Incredibles that I have with 4G phones, and unlimited data will be grandfathered on those lines as well. And on one of my Thunderbolts I added tethering (this was after tiered data went into effect), and because the phone is a 4G phone, the tethering is unlimited as well.

Im 99% sure they have a soft cap of 5gb even if youre on "unlimited." Im grandfathered in, too.

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
I am positive that my data is being throttled already...Im pissed.My X2 is so slow since monday...I ran a speedtest,and it confirmed what I knew,speeds that were 1.2-2.0 kb/s are now 500-600kb/s....I am not happy at all,I am not a data hog either my last cycle I used 1.82gb.....the cycle before 2.3gb,before that 1.5.....Im on track to use 1.8gb again this month....If this keeps up,Im placing a few cals to verizon,and if nothing comes out of it,I am gone the day my contract expires...I have unlimited data and cant use 2gb without throttling...

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. Even though others on here insist that they wont throttle or optimize my days on the bionic dubbed pourer is a 4g device, my speeds are horrible since Monday. During the day, the best download speed I have gotten is like 400 kbs but out had been hanging around 250 kbs. But after midnight I easily get close to 2mbs.

Even though I am on a 4g device, I am currently in a 3g area.

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. Even though others on here insist that they wont throttle or optimize my data on the bionic since it is a 4g device, my speeds are horrible since Monday. During the day, the best download speed I have gotten is like 400 kbs but it has been hanging around 250 kbs. But after midnight I easily get close to 2mbs.

Even though I am on a 4g device, I am currently in a 3g area.

Wouldn't let me effort my typing errors so here is the fixed version.

JohnnyS101

Reaction score
Wouldn't let me effort my typing errors so here is the fixed version.

Go to a store to get that checked, they are not throttling 4g, even if theyare,those are below. 3g speeds,you should be getting 20-30 mb on average with lte

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Reaction score
Go to a store to get that checked, they are not throttling 4g, even if theyare,those are below. 3g speeds,you should be getting 20-30 mb on average with lte

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

I am not in a 4g area right now so I am only getting 3g. But supposedly since my device is 4g, some say I wouldn't be part of the group that gets optimized. But based on the speeds I am getting, I think I ask getting optimized which leads me to believe that three device doesn't matter.

ambrown

Reaction score
I'm not a heavy data user anyway. 3G can be so dang slow that all I really use it for is occasional web surfing away from home. At home I'm hooked up to WiFi since I get better video streaming and faster overall data performance.

But I'd rather have unlimited data and get throttled than just get cut off, or charged up the wazoo for "going over the limit". In fact I think throttling is a great solution for having everyone have a data plan and then if you go over you just experience slower speeds. That's way better then not knowing till you get your bill next month and realize you're being charged $500 additional to your normal bill. Just be up front about it and customers will get how the system works. But if they are going to throttle they need to not call it an "unlimited" plan.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
And according to wiki LTD 4G is not true 4g but rather 3.9G just a beefed up version of 3g as it does not meet the requirements to be 4g
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/3G

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

There was actually a few lawyers looking into this because theyvknow 4g right now does not meet the requirements to actually be 4g

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.