What is the safe operating temperature range for the Moto Droid?

Taegost

Reaction score
I'm trying to set my SetCPU to throttle back the speed when the phone gets close to overheating, but I'm not sure what I should set the threshold to.
It seems my phone averages about 94-100 degrees (Farenheit), I noticed yesterday when it was on the charger in my car and with Navigation going, it got up to 122.6 degrees.
I currently have SetCPU to throttle back when the temperature reaches 106.1 degrees, and it brings it down from 1GHz to 700MHz.
I'm just trying to make sure I don't blow up my phone, especially living in Florida going into the summer months.
Thanks!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
you're going to find this a bit hard to believe but I remember reading that 80 degrees centigrade is the maximum temperature. That translates to 176 degrees Fahrenheit. Now that may seem a little outrageous but think about how many people leave their phones in the car during a hot summer day. It can get pretty hot in those cars, so these things are built to take some heat.

I also remember someone else saying 55 degrees but I believe that was a battery temperature.. That's like 132 degrees. Either way you're safe where you're at.

Just for what it's worth, this question has been asked frequently. You can look here and find all the threads that have opinions, conversations about temps.

site:droidforums.net Maximum Temperature for Droid Forums - Google Search

OP
Taegost

Taegost

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response Hook! It doesn't surprise me too much, I assumed that they would design the devices to operate within all the climates of the US, which can easily reach 105-115 degrees in some states. And I know inside cars down here (Especially black cars) the interior temperatures can reach 130-150 degrees in the middle of the day.
I figured I'd set it to something conservative until I could find more definitive information, I have a habit of getting a bit overzealous with overclocking sometimes :)
I did search, but only in this forum since I was looking for information specific to the Droid, but I will check out that link, I appreciate it!

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I stress tested my droid just after rooting, and I got to the temp of 174F via a cocktail of intensive programs. Droid is still going strong. dancedroid

Also with Navigation I see 140 on nearly every trip. So don't worry about the processor, it can take it whatever you can dish. The battery on the other hand, if it gets hot performance goes to crap over time.