Verizon beings unlimited data throttle - Your response?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
There was actually a few lawyers looking into this because theyvknow 4g right now does not meet the requirements to actually be 4g

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

Right there!!! There is no such thing as TRUE 4G in the US. Look at the speeds in the Asian Market or the rest of the world for that matter. How the carriers can even get away with calling it 4G is a mystery. Although LTE (long term evolution) may be Verizon's legal out.....

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizons Lte is real 4g and is the only company with it in US that I'm aware of...tmobile and att were misrepresenting their claim for 4g..

One Epic Blue and Bold Cm7(otaGBK) .----->fastforward!

Rowzy

Reaction score
Verizons Lte is real 4g and is the only company with it in US that I'm aware of...tmobile and att were misrepresenting their claim for 4g..

No, LTE is not 4g as the 4g standard calls for 1Gbit/s. After some more reading it looks like the ITU said "ahh whatever" and dubbed the 3g revisions as 4g even though they dont even fit the standard.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure WiMax doesn't count as a 4G level of data transfer?

Answered my own questions... sort of:

Present implementations of WiMAX and LTE are largely considered a stopgap solution that will offer a considerable boost while WiMAX 2 (based on the 802.16m spec) and LTE Advanced are finalized. Both technologies aim to reach the objectives traced by the ITU, but are still far from being implemented.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G#cite_note-Vilches.2C_J._2010-7

Pulled from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G#Requirements

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Go to a store to get that checked, they are not throttling 4g, even if theyare,those are below. 3g speeds,you should be getting 20-30 mb on average with lte

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

I am not in a 4g area right now so I am only getting 3g. But supposedly since my device is 4g, some say I wouldn't be part of the group that gets optimized. But based on the speeds I am getting, I think I ask getting optimized which leads me to believe that three device doesn't matter.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

I agree with Johnny, you should get that check out in a store. The terms in the "Optimization Policy" are specific in referring to 3G and 4G devices. You may get fed some bull that you are just on a congested tower or something, but it would be worth a shot. I would also recommend printing off the section of the policy that states that 4G devices will not be throttled and taking it with you because I have a feeling the CSR in the store won't know that they are throttling customers, but once you bring it up, they will say, "Oh, well it must be happening to all 3G data users" or something like that. It seems like a lot of times they would rather throw out an easy explanation than actually walking over to their computer and looking into the problem.

.....But if they are going to throttle they need to not call it an "unlimited" plan.

They call it unlimited because, while slow, you are still able to consume an unlimited amount of data in a given time frame. There was never a promise of unlimited speed (but that'd be pretty sweet).

Blacksheep427

Reaction score
I am probably one of those who "abuse" my data plan and tbh, I think this is a good move on Verizon. I do use my data plan excessively (No Netflix, torrents or Xbox) but I do tether with my laptop...a lot. And I don't deserve the right to get as fast of data as someone who uses it just for Angry Birds or what ever. I might be in the top 5% and I am ok with Verizon doing this.

My possible "excessive" use is on unlimited hotspot on top of unlimited phone data. My data usage for the hotspot is internet research for completing college projects and homework. I do occasionally stream SiriusXM while doing homework. I do not have wi-fi,as the hotspot through t the TB provides my homes' data connection. Conventional means of connection were going to cost far more than $30 per month, including monthly bills and new contract with ISP.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I probably am way off here but it's a (far fetched "conspiracy") theory: I've watch a few different law/crime TV shows and every once in awhile someone uses a trick where they get the opposition or judge to enter evidence or testimony that normally would be out of reach of "the good guys." It is usually something like "the information we need is in those records, but the records are sealed." so they take a course of action that forces the other side to use a part of those records to defend themselves, but once they have been opened, the prosecution can now use the part they really wanted in the first place.

So where is this going you ask? Verizon isn't allowed to look at the data we use, just the amount. Is it possible that when someone who uses a lot of data, but doesn't really follow the "going-on's" of VWZ goes into a VZW store and says "my data has slowed to a crawl, I think there might be an issue with my data connection" they have just flagged themselves as a "top 5%"-er to the CSR who then says "Oh, well lets take a look. Do I have permission to access your account information?" The user confirms authorization and now the CSR, and Verizon by extension, have access to see what kind of data the user has been consuming. Once the tech who gets assigned the "problem" reports back that 6GB of the data consumed was from tethering, the customer finds they have been moved over to the tiered data plan, retroactively had mobile hot-spot charges added to their account, and charged overage fees.

Pretty shady business but I wouldn't put it past a company who thinks that they aren't making all of the money they are "entitled" to.

Ninja Edit: After thinking about it and actually typing it out, I'm almost sure there is no way it would ever happen, but I figured I would share anyway. haha.

Rowzy

Reaction score

Pulled from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G#Requirements

LTE certainly isnt. I doubt people are pulling anywhere close to 1Gbit/s on wimax so it probably isnt true 4g, either. Of course I have been wrong before lol. Damn that would be sick though. So fast that your phone would probably create a black hole.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I agree with Johnny, you should get that check out in a store. The terms in the "Optimization Policy" are specific in referring to 3G and 4G devices. You may get fed some bull that you are just on a congested tower or something, but it would be worth a shot. I would also recommend printing off the section of the policy that states that 4G devices will not be throttled and taking it with you because I have a feeling the CSR in the store won't know that they are throttling customers, but once you bring it up, they will say, "Oh, well it must be happening to all 3G data users" or something like that. It seems like a lot of times they would rather throw out an easy explanation than actually walking over to their computer and looking into the problem.

They call it unlimited because, while slow, you are still able to consume an unlimited amount of data in a given time frame. There was never a promise of unlimited speed (but that'd be pretty sweet).

I posted a link a few pages back and in that link, at the bottom of the site they state that they MAY ALSO THROTTLE 4g for up to 60 days.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
LTE certainly isnt. I doubt people are pulling anywhere close to 1Gbit/s on wimax so it probably isnt true 4g, either. Of course I have been wrong before lol. Damn that would be sick though. So fast that your phone would probably create a black hole.

Yea my girlfriend haves the Evo3D and my Droid 3 is still faster than her phone...WEIRD! Lol

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Pulled from here: 4G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm also very curious about the lack of references in the article. Not to mention that I think the system is capable of the speed, but I don't think they would unleash the full speed immediately.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm also very curious about the lack of references in the article. Not to mention that I think the system is capable of the speed, but I don't think they would unleash the full speed immediately.

Of course not. The price jump for what they want for "full 4G" would be to much. They are going to ease up the speeds and ease up the cost along with it. I don't remember the movie, but there was a quote: "You put a frog in a pot of boiling water and he will jump right out, but if you put a frog in a pot of cold water and slowly bring it to a boil, he will sit there and let himself get cooked."

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
No, LTE is not 4g as the 4g standard calls for 1Gbit/s. After some more reading it looks like the ITU said "ahh whatever" and dubbed the 3g revisions as 4g even though they dont even fit the standard.

Lol..I wouldn't read too far into it...I would love someone to take them to court for offering 4gLTE and then it not actually being nothing of the sort..lol It is 4g...no worries..I've heard many arguments..it is what it is with verizon...You buy a 4g phone your capable of running "4g' speeds....etc......I won't follow up anymore on the subject as its not really worth it..lol Just trying to help...peace!

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wish everyone would just drop it too, but it won't happen drummer.
Honestly, I can't complain with my service from vzw. I wish I could, but I can't. Not one dropped call. I rack up huge amounts of data and I very rarely notice any change in my data speeds.

D2-CM7GB(9/23)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I wish everyone would just drop it too, but it won't happen drummer.
Honestly, I can't complain with my service from vzw. I wish I could, but I can't. Not one dropped call. I rack up huge amounts of data and I very rarely notice any change in my data speeds.

D2-CM7GB(9/23)

+1

This thread has been Thunder struck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.