been using a different charger; is my battery ok??

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
So before I misplaced my original s7 charger at a far away friend's house, my galaxy s7 has had pretty solid battery life on what I would consider relatively heavy use(turning the data on and off and sometimes using quickcharge) I'd be able to hit like 15 hours. Now since I don't have access to my charger for awhile I've been using my s4 charging block along with the chord that came with my verizon elipsis 8 tablet (the free tablet with the phone)

The chord fits ok and the charge time is fine, but I noticed my battery life has dropped to like maybe 9 hours on the same usage. Is my battery now officially screwed up or should it more or less go back to normal when I get my original charger back???

I've also used another chord which chargers my phone EXTREMELY slowly(6 hour charge time) but I noticed the phone stays cooler when charging(although I have to bend the chord slightly and at the part in the phone or it wont work. I unfortunately once passed out on top of my phone and it got kinda hot so I'm hoping that didn't have anything to do with it

I've researched that different chargers have different voltage specs(is that just the charging block?) I asked a lady at radioshack and a guy at verizon their opinion and they both said it would be fine but idk what to believe. Please shed some light on this and thank you for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
For the overwhelming majority of charger adapters out there, they should be universally applicable. They should all put out 5V with no more than +/- 10% tolerances and the phones and batteries are spec'd to work in those tolerances. The current level that your phone takes may be more than some of the lowest current adapters but the S4 adapter should at least supply enough to charge though it may take longer than the S7 charger.

The battery should not suffer in your scenario. Heat is a battery's enemy but they can take a good bit more heat than your body can handle so I don't think that one episode caused any battery degradation.

For most situations the cord should have no impact in charging times, except with respect to Rapid Charging where the cord may not charge at the fast rates but will still charge at normal rates.

Your battery's stamina should not change from charger to charger... Only the rate it charges should be impacted. A charged battery is a charged battery whether charged quickly or slowly, assuming both were fully saturated at the end of the charging cycle.

Going back to your S7 charger should not change how long the battery lasts with each charge, only how fast it charges.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score

TuBitMittensMember
NEWThank you for your in-depth feedback. So what do you think is the cause for the noticable decrease in battery life that I have been experiencing?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I can't really speak to what is causing your battery runtime issues. It could be any number of things but I think you need to focus on what is using the battery most, to see if there are any programs that may be using an inordinate amount of battery power and therefore may be the real cause of the perceived dramatic reduction in battery life.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Settings, battery
Check what is using most of your battery. If it's an app that you installed, and you don't use it much, consider uninstalling it.
That's always a good place to start.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
I feel like it isn't an app. I've also noticed that when I look at the estimated time left for the battery it will say like 4 hours left. It used to say 15 hours left. I called samsung and they weren't really much help.. this is really strange

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
Looks like you got some good advice on here. @FoxKat is one of the best!
My guess is you've got an app draining your battery. Seems something is running hard in the background. I am assuming you have powered down the phone since this all began.
If you haven't done so already, look and see how good your cell and wifi reception is. Sometimes either of those, or GPS, can also tug at your battery. You'll be able to see all this from where @bruben7886 sent you. I was having some exceptional drain from my wifi recently. Shut it off outside of my home and haven't had any more issues....

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
I appreciate the responses but I'm really not sold on the fact that it's an app. I always look at the battery percentages and didn't see anything unusual. I only noticed this issue AS SOON as I used a different charger. Then at one point I fell asleep on my phone and it got really hot. It's really frustrating because I was really enjoying this phone now all of the sudden I have to charge it 2-3 times a day. I'm thinking since I'm out of college and bumming around more I'm on it a bit more but something still seems a bit off.
Samsung tells me a battery replacement is free under warranty but g-d knows how long I'd be without a phone. Uninstalled pokemon go and cleared the cache also but still the same results.

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
I appreciate the responses but I'm really not sold on the fact that it's an app. I always look at the battery percentages and didn't see anything unusual. I only noticed this issue AS SOON as I used a different charger. Then at one point I fell asleep on my phone and it got really hot. It's really frustrating because I was really enjoying this phone now all of the sudden I have to charge it 2-3 times a day. I'm thinking since I'm out of college and bumming around more I'm on it a bit more but something still seems a bit off.
Samsung tells me a battery replacement is free under warranty but g-d knows how long I'd be without a phone. Uninstalled pokemon go and cleared the cache also but still the same results.
From someone who nearly went insane trying to figure out why my WiFi wouldn't stay connected at work, please don't discredit an app or GPS/WiFi/Blue Tooth. Your charger shouldn't cause you're issue. Falling asleep on your phone would probably do nothing. Something is more than likely working overtime & causing extra pull on your battery. Heck, it could be as funky as a cell tower being down & your phone searching for a signal.
Have you downloaded any kind of battery diagnostic app yet?
Edited to add:
Try GSam Battery Monitor. Someone suggested I download that when I had a question about my battery drain.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
I havn't but I'll try that. Idk wtf happen to my phone. It can't just be a coincidence that I only noticed it as soon as I used a different charger but who knows lol. Here are some screenshots of my usage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160727-212541.png
    Screenshot_20160727-212541.png
    216.4 KB · Views: 169
  • Screenshot_20160727-212531.png
    Screenshot_20160727-212531.png
    204.6 KB · Views: 159
  • Screenshot_20160727-212538.png
    Screenshot_20160727-212538.png
    197.8 KB · Views: 172
  • Screenshot_20160727-212541.png
    Screenshot_20160727-212541.png