Ok to mix MicroUSB Chargers with Different mA power?

endoftheline

Reaction score
I just got a blackberry Curve 9330 from my work, and I also have a Original Moto Droid, and 2x plantronics 925 headset's that I use with both phones. All 3 devices use MicroUSB chargers, however each charger has a slightly different mA rating output.

Blackberry Curve - 5.1V 850mA
Moto Droid - 5.1V 750mA
Plantronics Headset - 5.0V 350mA

I'm wondering if its safe to use the different chargers with the different devices?

At least for the blackberry and droid, can I use the other phones charger without problems from under powering? or powering?

As for the headset, I have tried to charge my droid with it and it seems to get nothing, I assume its not enough power. But I would still wonder if I can charge the headest using the blackberry or droid charger without any issues.

All the chargers I have are the original Manufacture charger that comes with the new device.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Power supplies that are rated lower than the suppled charger will charge slower or not at all. Supplies that have the same voltage but higher mA should be fine. They might charge faster, or they might not.

If you want to be on the supper safe side monitor the device the first time you use the power supply. If the battery starts to get warmer than it normally does, don't use the supply.

All this depends on the charger being standard MicroUSB. Be certain of that by checking the specs in the owner manuals.

enyalius

Reaction score
I use my old BlackBerry Tour charger here at work. It works fine, but I do notice one hiccup while the charger is in use: when scrolling or moving icons on the desktop, the graphics tend to shake like I'm moving my finger very quickly. Otherwise, it works fine and this side-effect ends when I disconnect the charger.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
As for the headset, I have tried to charge my droid with it and it seems to get nothing, I assume its not enough power.
350 is extremely low for the Droid. No idea on the headset though.

I use my old BlackBerry Tour charger here at work. It works fine, but I do notice one hiccup while the charger is in use: when scrolling or moving icons on the desktop, the graphics tend to shake like I'm moving my finger very quickly. Otherwise, it works fine and this side-effect ends when I disconnect the charger.
Some chargers do interfere with the capacitive screen.

Droids

Reaction score
Blackberry Curve - 5.1V 850mA
Moto Droid - 5.1V 750mA
Plantronics Headset - 5.0V 350mA
Did you reverse the curve and droid? Because the droid is 5.1v and 850mA.

The voltages are all good but the Plantronics charger would take all day to charge the Droid, if it did at all.

The curve charger (at 750mA) will charge the Droid ok, but at a slower speed than the 850mA charger the Droid came with.

Lastly, non-oem chargers can make the Droid act weird, like calling and texting random people.

I would only use the Moto charger on the Droid, but it would probably also charge the BB just fine, and may charge the headset ok.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Lastly, non-oem chargers can make the Droid act weird, like calling and texting random people.

Good to know. Must have something to do with poor grounding or shielding. Most devices, without sensitive capacitive screens, probably wouldn't notice less than perfect shielding.

Droid_Depot

Reaction score
Rule of thumb keep the voltage at the same or lower (lower will charge slower if at all). mA are just the maximum current draw the device can put on to the charger. So using a lower mA supply could burn up the supply itself from overdraw.

kamisan

Reaction score
milliamp charging

I found even different car chargers make a huge difference. The cheapo one the verizon store gave me could not charge my droid while I navigated, only at rest with the screen off. Also charging from my laptop made the screen very buggy unless my laptop was not plugged into my inverter (probably noise and unshielded cable issues)
I have a plantronics and it wont show charging at all- certainly to low of milliamp output.

Robert R.

Reaction score
Charger

I found out that if the charger does not supply enough current, that the phone will act crazy. I thought it was going to brick or something. Unplugged it and all was fine. Works on another with adequate current.

Robert:)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
You need a minimum of 500mAh charge to charge the droid. Anything lower than that will either fail or cause issues with the Droid's behavior. Anything over 850mAh will be ignored by the charging circuit. If the battery is depleted badly it will need more than a 500mAh charge to charge at all.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I found out that if the charger does not supply enough current, that the phone will act crazy. I thought it was going to brick or something. Unplugged it and all was fine. Works on another with adequate current.

Robert:)
:welcome: to the forum!