Battery Life... You've Got Questions, We've Got Answers!

liferefugee

Reaction score
being in the app drawer shouldnt be an issue. After all, the app drawer is just an icon view of the apps you have installed on the phone. I was going to argue Juice's point about more widgets in memory making the phone work harder (after all if the memory is not used by the UI, then it will be used by keeping more app threads around) but Skull's point adds justification to Juice's.

So, what app is recomended for controlling when your data is turned on for peak/non peak and other situations? Is the built in feature of 2.2 sufficiant, or is there an app that does this very well?

OP
Juicemane

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I can delete the regular launcher? How? Also how do you recommend I blank it out? Just delete everything on the screen or what.

if I delete the original and don't like launcher pro how would I get the original back

Sorry for the million questions just don't wanna do anything wrong

Yes.

Requires root and the knowledge of how /system/app works.

Delete everything on each screen.

You would have to manually restore it which at present I don't recommend you do. Heck I don't use the original Launcher but I keep it around just in case.

Oh, requires root...I haven't rooted my phone and I'm kind of nervous to try. I was hoping I could just install launcher pro. I'm not really good with how the system and everything works. I was hoping I could just remove every single icon on the regular launcher, and do that instead on launcher pro. If I do this it won't function any better though right

Thats exactly what you do. Just remove all icons/widgets from the stock home screens and install launcherPro or ADW from market. Once installed, press your home key and it will prompt you on which launcher to use, check the box to always use and select launcher pro. It will automatically default to launcher pro until you decide to uninstall it (you wont).

OP
Juicemane

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
being in the app drawer shouldnt be an issue. After all, the app drawer is just an icon view of the apps you have installed on the phone. I was going to argue Juice's point about more widgets in memory making the phone work harder (after all if the memory is not used by the UI, then it will be used by keeping more app threads around) but Skull's point adds justification to Juice's.

So, what app is recomended for controlling when your data is turned on for peak/non peak and other situations? Is the built in feature of 2.2 sufficiant, or is there an app that does this very well?

The stock app works pretty well. Its very basic but it gets the job done. You can also try other apps like Juice defender and Power Control, however; I have used both and always seem to have issues with them. Most of the time they turn out to cause more issues then they're worth.

jloya

Reaction score
Ive seen a few posts like this so i figured id post my current set up because the battery life has been outstanding and alot of people have complained about this

I have rooted my phone, installed the flyX rom and am using the REVolution theme. I used to leave work at 5:30 and by the time i arrived to work the next day, 830, I would need to charge my phone. After making these slight mods I left work last night and upon arriving this morning im still at 80 percent. This is with moderate use, texting, about 1 hour on the phone, facebook, and a few web browses......anyways if your down on the battery life of this phone definitely give fly x a try :)

B.Wallace85

Reaction score
Ive seen a few posts like this so i figured id post my current set up because the battery life has been outstanding and alot of people have complained about this

I have rooted my phone, installed the flyX rom and am using the REVolution theme. I used to leave work at 5:30 and by the time i arrived to work the next day, 830, I would need to charge my phone. After making these slight mods I left work last night and upon arriving this morning im still at 80 percent. This is with moderate use, texting, about 1 hour on the phone, facebook, and a few web browses......anyways if your down on the battery life of this phone definitely give fly x a try :)

This sounds very good but I don't have the stones to root. :(

trale

Reaction score
I did a test with my DX to see how long it can last if I baby the battery after the Froyo OTA 2.2 update.

Here are my main settings:

Wifi = off
GPS = on
Background data = on
Battery mode = night time saver.
Gmail sync = off (manual updates)

Phone was put under light usage. Few short calls throughout test range, most usage was for txt msgs. Some browsing, some maps and navigation, some apps usage.

Here's the result:
img0464n.jpg

That's 40% after 78+ hrs! :icon_eek:

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
great thread. i am running latest froyo leak and tranquility. i get excellent battery life. 12-15 hours of battery life with medium usage (streaming music for 4 hours of that)

the only thing i question is white/verses dark. i have tried both notice absolutly no diffrence in battery

these are lcd screens require no more power for white versus dark. not trying to be argumentive. but this is pretty well agreed upon.. N1 diffrent story they use OLED screens.

here is a post by forum member to explain it better than i can

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-themes/77863-wip-avalon-android-4.html#post804719

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I did a test with my DX to see how long it can last if I baby the battery after the Froyo OTA 2.2 update.

Here are my main settings:

Wifi = off
GPS = on
Background data = on
Battery mode = night time saver.
Gmail sync = off (manual updates)

Phone was put under light usage. Few short calls throughout test range, most usage was for txt msgs. Some browsing, some maps and navigation, some apps usage.

That's 40% after 78+ hrs! :icon_eek:

WOW:icon_ banana: i never get that:icon_evil: and i am rooted:(

OP
Juicemane

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
great thread. i am running latest froyo leak and tranquility. i get excellent battery life. 12-15 hours of battery life with medium usage (streaming music for 4 hours of that)

the only thing i question is white/verses dark. i have tried both notice absolutly no diffrence in battery

these are lcd screens require no more power for white versus dark. not trying to be argumentive. but this is pretty well agreed upon.. N1 diffrent story they use OLED screens.

here is a post by forum member to explain it better than i can

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-themes/77863-wip-avalon-android-4.html#post804719

Thank you for the information. Im going to try to research this more indepth, and I will make the changes to the OP.

Update * yea, definitly doesnt make a difference, if anything it might use slightly more battery when running black background because the pixel has to be fully powered to block the backlight. OP is updated. Thanks again!

bgillyjcu

Reaction score
I don't know how people get 3 days. They must not use their phone at all.

Using the internet, facebook, twitter, gmail, phonecalls....I get 25 hours out of my phone now which is GREAT. On 2.1 doing the same thing I was at 12hours.

BigCity

Reaction score
If I already have Task killer installed, how do I get rid of it?

Jamb

Reaction score
Go to settings,applications, manage applications, select task killer,unistall.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

reef9

Reaction score
Hello fellow Droid Lovers! I decided to try to consolidate all the information floating around about the battery performance for our beloved Droid X....

Thanks for taking the time. This forum needed this. If you read my thread you commented from before this thread you created, you would understand that all those tips/tricks you say here were tested in my part.

What im getting at is, if all this fails and you are still having a TERRIBLE batter life, please call VW and ask them to transfer you to MOTO CS to have them send you a new battery. Lemons are inevitable in todays world, and new battery's are the answer implemented with what you have posted.

Thanks for this explanation, it will help lots of people.