Battery Life... You've Got Questions, We've Got Answers!

OP
Juicemane

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I noticed there is a (going from memory here, so might be slightly off base) a 1750 ma battery (same size as original) and also a 2750 ma battery (that requires a new back). The original is a 1350 ma battery (like I said going off memory so may not be 100%).
So what does the difference in ma's mean in phone time to us laymen? Also, does the phone charger handle the different ma batteries properly without under or over charging them?

Stock charger works fine, ma refers to the amp-hour output, higher number means more juice.

The stock battery is around 1500mah, the ext battery is 1750 I believe. Most users get around 2 hours of extra use from the extended, standby time is obviously more then 2 hours. I haven't had any experience with the seido ext batteries, Ive heard mixed reviews about them. Stick with the Moto Ext Bat, $49.99 from VZW and it includes the slightly thicker battery door.

antron007

Reaction score
As far as why using more resources, it eats more power. Think of it like towing with a truck, the more you pull, the harder the engine works, the more gas you use. Cut the load, save the gas. (horrible analogy sorry lol)

What a great thread. Thanx juicemane. ( I think that is a great and accurate analogy btw)

I'm pretty sure I know the answer but didn't see it mentioned so ill ask about kernals for people new to root like me.

Will lower voltage kernals use less battery? Will higher speeds use more? If you use a lower voltage but faster speed will it pretty much equal out?

I use the navigation alot for work and It eats the battery like its got 420 munchies. So I was thinking about changing kernals and wanted to do some research before hand And saw this thread.

Thanx in advanced.
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
Juicemane

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
As far as why using more resources, it eats more power. Think of it like towing with a truck, the more you pull, the harder the engine works, the more gas you use. Cut the load, save the gas. (horrible analogy sorry lol)

What a great thread. Thanx juicemane. ( I think that is a great and accurate analogy btw)

I'm pretty sure I know the answer but didn't see it mentioned so ill ask about kernals for people new to root like me.

Will lower voltage kernals use less battery? Will higher speeds use more? If you use a lower voltage but faster speed will it pretty much equal out?

I use the navigation alot for work and It eats the battery like its got 420 munchies. So I was thinking about changing kernals and wanted to do some research before hand And saw this thread.

Thanx in advanced.

Cant use Kernels on the DX currently. Maybe one day :/

But on the D1 kernels had an impact on batter life, LV = better battery... I miss the good ole days of BB and a nice ULV kernel.

OP
Juicemane

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Ultimate juice works wonders

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

See rule #1 please

<3 :icon_ banana:

In all fairness, when it works properly, it helps. But the majority of the time it ends up causing erratic behavior and either dropping data all together, or just never turns it off. Dont even get me started on how often the WiFi range feature doesn't work. The graphing system it uses to convince you its giving you better life is a shamWOW. Ask Vince if hes not to busy with the Slap Chop.

antron007

Reaction score
Cant use Kernels on the DX currently. Maybe one day :/

But on the D1 kernels had an impact on batter life, LV = better battery... I miss the good ole days of BB and a nice ULV kernel.

Yeah I forgot to mention I'm D1. Thanx again.

alboboy10

Reaction score
Hey thanks for taking the time to explain all that! I removed my task killer, no idea why I ever had it.

I have a question though, my battery life is DECENT...at least for the DX. I'm wondering what's sucking up my battery. I'm thinking it may be the way my screen is set up.

I have a few screens in use. The one on the far left has a big NOTES widget, and below I have four icons-movies, shopper, speedview, and zedge. On the page on the right I have four photo frames, and below that four icons. One is sports center, one is a file for games, one is the app world newspaper and the other the mototorch LED widget.
Now my main screen has the POWER widget where I control everything, I Below that I have the "more icons" widget...I have three pictures frames there as well, two tiny ones and a medium sized one and on the left side I have texts, and on the right voice search. My last screen has the beautiful widget (with clock etc), music widget and the google search one.

As far as the rest of the advice you gave goes, I have it all set up that way. Yesterday I used my internet a LOT, and I text pretty frequently and I got about 12 hours out of my battery. I used it a lot, but I see here that many users with similar use are getting way more battery time than I am. Some users are getting 50 hours! I have no idea how, even if I put my phone to airplane mode during night it won't reach two days with normal use. I can't complain cause the battery is not BAD, it's decent. But it sucks knowing that I can get so much more out of it

The more widgets you have, the bigger battery draw. Its a win/lose with widgets, they make the home screen cool and functional but require juice to do so. I think the stock blur launcher is a bit more resource heavy then Launcherpro, the less memory/processor and app uses, the less battery power is required to run it. Its all about making the memory foot print smaller. 12 hours of use is really good. The guys getting 50 hours are insane, their the exception, some people get lucky, others dramatize. lol.

How do photo widgets take up battery? Or widgets that don't constantly update like music. Maybe beautiful widgets takes up because it has weather and so on but how do the rest take up? Or the more widgets in general on the screens the more battery goes?

Also, if I download launcher pro, do I need to delete the stuff in the old screen or no?

Skull One

Reaction score
Hey thanks for taking the time to explain all that! I removed my task killer, no idea why I ever had it.

I have a question though, my battery life is DECENT...at least for the DX. I'm wondering what's sucking up my battery. I'm thinking it may be the way my screen is set up.

I have a few screens in use. The one on the far left has a big NOTES widget, and below I have four icons-movies, shopper, speedview, and zedge. On the page on the right I have four photo frames, and below that four icons. One is sports center, one is a file for games, one is the app world newspaper and the other the mototorch LED widget.
Now my main screen has the POWER widget where I control everything, I Below that I have the "more icons" widget...I have three pictures frames there as well, two tiny ones and a medium sized one and on the left side I have texts, and on the right voice search. My last screen has the beautiful widget (with clock etc), music widget and the google search one.

As far as the rest of the advice you gave goes, I have it all set up that way. Yesterday I used my internet a LOT, and I text pretty frequently and I got about 12 hours out of my battery. I used it a lot, but I see here that many users with similar use are getting way more battery time than I am. Some users are getting 50 hours! I have no idea how, even if I put my phone to airplane mode during night it won't reach two days with normal use. I can't complain cause the battery is not BAD, it's decent. But it sucks knowing that I can get so much more out of it

The more widgets you have, the bigger battery draw. Its a win/lose with widgets, they make the home screen cool and functional but require juice to do so. I think the stock blur launcher is a bit more resource heavy then Launcherpro, the less memory/processor and app uses, the less battery power is required to run it. Its all about making the memory foot print smaller. 12 hours of use is really good. The guys getting 50 hours are insane, their the exception, some people get lucky, others dramatize. lol.

How do photo widgets take up battery? Or widgets that don't constantly update like music. Maybe beautiful widgets takes up because it has weather and so on but how do the rest take up? Or the more widgets in general on the screens the more battery goes?

Also, if I download launcher pro, do I need to delete the stuff in the old screen or no?

Technically it does take a LITTLE more battery for the photo widget. When you leave an app, the launcher is redrawn under Froyo 2.2 in several layers. This was to allow Live Wallpapers. So each widget is drawn at a position and layer. The more widgets, the more layers that have to be resolved, the more the CPU has to do.

Yes, you do want to blank out (delete all items) on the original launcher if you don't plan to delete that launcher from the phone. The reason is, those widgets will still request updates even though the launcher isn't running.

alboboy10

Reaction score
I can delete the regular launcher? How? Also how do you recommend I blank it out? Just delete everything on the screen or what.

if I delete the original and don't like launcher pro how would I get the original back

Sorry for the million questions just don't wanna do anything wrong

Skull One

Reaction score
I can delete the regular launcher? How? Also how do you recommend I blank it out? Just delete everything on the screen or what.

if I delete the original and don't like launcher pro how would I get the original back

Yes.

Requires root and the knowledge of how /system/app works.

Delete everything on each screen.

You would have to manually restore it which at present I don't recommend you do. Heck I don't use the original Launcher but I keep it around just in case.

alboboy10

Reaction score

Yes.

Requires root and the knowledge of how /system/app works.

Delete everything on each screen.

You would have to manually restore it which at present I don't recommend you do. Heck I don't use the original Launcher but I keep it around just in case.

Oh, requires root...I haven't rooted my phone and I'm kind of nervous to try. I was hoping I could just install launcher pro. I'm not really good with how the system and everything works. I was hoping I could just remove every single icon on the regular launcher, and do that instead on launcher pro. If I do this it won't function any better though right

Phillipsave

Reaction score
Skull & All, I have launcher pro on Droid X without root. Is it best to go back to original launcher and delete everything from that, before returning to LauncherPro? If so, how?

Edited to Add: Ok, I deleted everything from the home screens on the stock 2.2 launcher, by downloading homeswitcher and opening stock, even tho it's not "supported"; but the apps are still in the app drawer there. Is that a problem?