Multi-faceted question about what I am doing wrong with battery life

lostnbroken

Reaction score
Verizon sent me a new battery because the old one I couldn't even get a half day out of it even though I have my DX set to Max Battery Saver and the screen brightness is low, etc. So, basicly I am thinking I want to download z4root, root the phone, then from there is where I have a question...
I want to clear out the stored battery stats... I know I need to go to /data/system/batterystats.bin and delete that.
Once I have rooted the phone is there another app I need to download to get to the terminal or once I download and root it's there? (Sorry if this is a dumb question)
(Also, just wanted to double check on what I've been coming across while reading on here, root wont stop me from getting the OTA updates... It's if I add a ROM or theme that I will no longer be able to do that?)
Thanks For Any Help

Reaction score
Once I have rooted the phone is there another app I need to download to get to the terminal or once I download and root it's there? (Sorry if this is a dumb question)

i'm not really sure what you mean here. if you root and download bootstrap recovery, you can reboot into a custom recovery mode that contains an option to wipe the battery stats. it also allows you to make full backups of your phone as well.

slightly off topic, speaking from experience, i would highly recommend backing up your sd card to your computer regularly (i just created a folder called sd card on my desktop). just select all the contents of your sd card from the root directory and drop them in the folder. it takes time, but is always worth it. i had an sd card crap out and i lost everything.

(Also, just wanted to double check on what I've been coming across while reading on here, root wont stop me from getting the OTA updates... It's if I add a ROM or theme that I will no longer be able to do that?)
Thanks For Any Help

being rooted won't disable OTA updates. if you remove any stock apps (aka "bloatware", which almost all roms do automatically), your phone will detect and in most cases download the update, but the install will fail. the beauty is, if you download bootstrap recovery, you can make a clean, rooted backup. then you can try out any and all roms you'd like, and you'll always have that clean backup to go back to if you need to get an ota or just to go back to stock.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Just an observation...but the extended battery should only give maybe 20% more battery life over the stock battery. So, if you normally get 10 hrs with good use, an extended battery is likely to only last 12+ hours or slighlty longer.

Myself, I routinely get 17 hours or more with my usage...my normal use means less than 5 calls of 5 minutes or less, maybe 2 hours of mp3 playback in the car, multiple Facebook checks and maybe a half hour of Droid Forums reading and several text messages...and a lot of messing around in the settings.

Here is a screencap I did a few weeks ago when I was running Liberty v1.0...

snap20110121_142914.png

OP
T

t4k

Reaction score
So...the results are in and I wante to share the solution to my problem. I got this advice on another forum but wanted to post in case someone else experiences this issue.
If you rooted your Droid X and installed Titanium backup, and then installed Bootstrap recovery, someone told me to put the extended battery in and let it die, turn the phone off, and turn it on in recovery, wipe the battery stats and then charge the new battery. let it go down to 5% and recharge and do this one more time. Now my extended battery is on a full day 2 without being charged and I am still at 50% battery life. That solved my problem! What a relief! Hope this works for others.
The reason you have to do this is b/c the phone is calibrated to the stock battery not the extended battery so you have to wipe the phone's memory of the stock battery, basically, and have it learn the new extended battery, to put it in simple terms.

Yackman

Reaction score
FYI - noticed on your original post that you said you had data roaming turned off. You will get better battery life with data roaming turned on :)
Also - I'm loving the new Liberty 1.5 ROM - my phone doesn't get hot (waste battery) like it used to.

en28so

Reaction score
So...the results are in and I wante to share the solution to my problem. I got this advice on another forum but wanted to post in case someone else experiences this issue.
If you rooted your Droid X and installed Titanium backup, and then installed Bootstrap recovery, someone told me to put the extended battery in and let it die, turn the phone off, and turn it on in recovery, wipe the battery stats and then charge the new battery. let it go down to 5% and recharge and do this one more time. Now my extended battery is on a full day 2 without being charged and I am still at 50% battery life. That solved my problem! What a relief! Hope this works for others.
The reason you have to do this is b/c the phone is calibrated to the stock battery not the extended battery so you have to wipe the phone's memory of the stock battery, basically, and have it learn the new extended battery, to put it in simple terms.
Sounds like a plan. I can only get about 9 to 10 hours of battery life on my X with my extended battery from verizon with moderate use.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App