question about battery draining...

The Batman

Reaction score
i've had my phone for a little over a month now and it has been wonderful....

up until last wednesday.

for the most part i use my phone for internet and texting. very rarely do i make phone calls, but i do spend a lot of time on the web. on average i got about a day to a day and a half out of my battery before it needed recharging.

now, all of a sudden, my battery won't last 5 hours. no idea what happened. it was working fine, i went to sleep wednesday night, and woke up with it full charged and by the time i got to work (30 minutes away) it was down to about 80%.

i haven't changed anything, haven't downloaded any new apps or anything, wifi/gps/bluetooth are all off, but it wont hold power anymore. the only thing i did different was wednesday night some friend did some drunken karaoke and i took a bunch of video. the battery last fine all through the video and the uploading to my computer, but the next morning it wouldn't hold.

i took it to verizon on friday, they said it could be a bad battery (which would be weird since i've had it over a month) and they gave me a new battery. i put in the new battery and charged it to full and its doing the same thing.

and im not even doing anything with the phone. to test out its crappiness today i left it on my desk at work in lock mode. this is how it went:

8:45 - unplugged from charger at 100%
11:00 - 70%
12:30 - 40%
2:00 - 15%
2:15 - dead

the biggest use of power was "cell standby" with about 56% usage, the screen in second at 45% and then cell idle at about 3%

i've done some searching but a lot of it is over my head (new to the whole smart phone thing) and can't really make much out of it. i have read a few tricks that will extend battery life, but those require changes i don't want to do (such as having to manually refresh emails and everything), that wouldn't be such a big deal except for the fact that the first month i've had the phone they all automatically refreshed and my battery still lasted 24+ hours.

i've seen a few posts mentioning the cell standby issue but every thread i've read about that never really had a resolution.

anyone know what the issue is here?

thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Just because it's only a month old does not mean the battery isn't bad as in defective. It happens. Sometimes, the bad eggs get into a dozen.

Since the VZW rep at the store mentioned it possibly being a bad battery, did you tell them to order you a new one?

On a side note, I got the extended battery on Friday. Charged it overnight and unplugged it Saturday morning.. it's been going with pretty decent use (lots of data use, GPS, etc. all on) for 1d 10h 15m so far.

Might be worth a look for you if you can grab one.

OP
T

The Batman

Reaction score
yeah, they gave me a brand new battery friday evening. it still does the same thing.

is the extended battery larger than the regular battery? would i still be able to use it with my case?

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Try turning auto sync and gps off if you haven't

musiclovingirlee

Reaction score
maybe you should try an APP like Advanced Task Killer to make sure that all of your programs are being shut down when you are done with them.

ricks

Reaction score
"the biggest use of power was "cell standby" with about 56% usage"

This looks like a problem

pcnut

Reaction score
Had a friend who had same problem, called tech at verizon and he told him to pull battery while turned on and wait 1 min and put it back in, fixed his problem. Something about the phone creating a memory for the battery.

Reaction score
Had a friend who had same problem, called tech at verizon and he told him to pull battery while turned on and wait 1 min and put it back in, fixed his problem. Something about the phone creating a memory for the battery.

The battery itself is a smart battery. There is a way to reset the chip inside, but everyone here seems to hate me posting the link to the information for some reason. =P

@OP:
The extended batter is slightly thicker (it even comes with a new battery cover), but I am using it fine inside my hard case... the one that Verizon sells.

Oh, yeah, in my original reply... I forgot to mention that the phone just hit 50% charge around an hour ago. This is vastly improved over my stock battery, which would have died by now.

Lightninrod

Reaction score
Because of what your battery usage showed, I'd suspect you are in a low signal area and your X is using up the battery searching for a good signal.

liferefugee

Reaction score
maybe you should try an APP like Advanced Task Killer to make sure that all of your programs are being shut down when you are done with them.

Task killers are not the answer... Unless the question is what should I remove from my phone.

Typed with Swype on my Droid X and sent with Tapatalk.

OP
T

The Batman

Reaction score
yes, i tried the 228 option, didn't seem to do anything.

haven't tried the removing battery thing. well, i DID remove the battery last week and left it out for a while, but that was after turning the phone off. should i try removing while the phone is on?

yeah, it would appear that the cell stand by is the issue, but i think it may be an issue with the phone. as stated, the first month or so has been fine. then all of a sudden this issue started. same areas, same settings, so why would my signal all of a sudden be crappy enough to need to search for a better signal? especially evberywhere i go? this happens at home, at work, on the road, everywhere. could it be that the phone is defective?

also on a possibly related note... should i upgrade to froyo?

mystified

Reaction score
I have a 2 year old LG Versa doing same thing so am going to try the 1 minute battery idea.

I already replaced battery this past august and still fighting it hope it works a real pain to talk 5 minutes and text 5 messages and lose 2 bars poof. mystified

Mekk

Reaction score
I was getting the same thing. I ended up using SetCPU and running the cpu with ondemand scaling. I haven't seen a performance decrease either. This seemed to help the phone a lot. I had a similar time scale as you for power drain. I now can last till 6pm before the battery dies. search the forums there are some very good articles on how to conserve battery power.