Multi-faceted question about what I am doing wrong with battery life

t4k

Reaction score
So I KNOW this subject has been beaten to death...battery life...however, I have some things I am doing and I don't know if I have too much going on and I need to remove some apps or if my battery is messed.

*I got the extended battery on Tuesday
*rooted my DX with z4root, installed titanium backup and froze a bunch of worthless apps.
*downloaded Juice Defender Ultimate and changed my CPU to min 300, max idle 300 and max 800
*Juice defender also has all data disabled.
*Juice defender icon says x1.69 (don't know what that means)
*my 3G is disabled by Quick settings almost ALL the time and I don't have Wifi accesss
*I have my screen set to timeout at 15 secs and using the lowest amount of light possible
*GPS turned off
*Social networking turned off
*email and weather apps turned off
*No antivirus or task killers
*I have Android Assistant downloaded but it seems to be running all the time (and it does have a task killer and a pie chart telling me my CPU at all time...actually scratch it, Uninstalling as we speak)
*Under settings, I have my Data Manager background data, data roaming and data enabled all turned off
*I have my CDMA turned to Home settings (rather than Automatic) and CDMA auto prl (in that special code you dial and get the secret menu)
*Airplane mode at night while I am sleeping
*once my battery is charged to 100% I plan on Going to data>system>and delete batterystats.bin

SOOO....based on that information, the battery was last fully charged Wednesday morning at 5:30 am. and went all day on Wednesday down to 50% battery at bedtime and when I woke up this morning, it was 30% with airplane mode on! As I type it is 20%. So all day today it went from 30%-20% but that is texting maybe 5 times and talking one time for 5 mins. The phone has been idle most of the day. In my mind, I still don't know where all my power is going. It seems like with such minimal usage, the battery should stay charged longer considering I have everything turned off all day. I am not even using the phone the way it should be used and I have the extended battery.

Can someone tell me what program I should remove, what's sucking my battery life, what I am doing wrong? The extended battery has only been charged one time since I bought it and I am thinking maybe it needs some training. I am going to let it die completely tonight then charge it (should it stay off or turn back on during charging?). I am just worried that I need a bigger battery or that I have something running in the background that I don't know about.

I just want to know what else I can do, if anything to conserve more battery, esp. if I decide to actually start using the phone to do what the phone is meant to do!

Advice please!!

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What does it say has been using the battery?

OP
T

t4k

Reaction score
Phone idle 24%
Cell Standby 19%
android system 17%
Display 14%
android OS 7%
Motorola services 7%
com.motorola.hom 4%
boot animation 3%
com.motorola.providers.something 3%
com.android.phone 2%

OP
T

t4k

Reaction score
will verizon let me return it even though I have already used it?

cpjr

Reaction score
Dude, over 24 hours....your battery is fine. Seriously, how long do you expect it to last.

I've said it before, but I really don't understand people not charging their phone at night.

OP
T

t4k

Reaction score
I was trying to discharge it completely a few times so I could 1. delete the battery stats and 2. so I could "train" the battery like everyone said I should do.

Reaction score
yeah, but for an extended battery with all that disabled seems too short. I have the stock battery and I usually get 36 hours, and that's with actually using it.

as far as returning it, I'm not fully aware of their return policy on accessories, but if you bought it from them it shouldn't be a problem.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

cpjr

Reaction score
I honestly don't believe you can get 36 actual hours with the stock battery and actually use the phone.

I have the extended and with moderate usage can get 20-24 hours.

Reaction score
what could i possibly have to gain by lying about how long my battery lasts? i never said it was heavy use, i use it mainly to text and browse, but not for extended periods of time. i don't listen to music on it, so that's the battery life i get.

based on what the op has said, the phone is essentially a paperweight and the battery dies in 24 hours. that doesn't seem normal to me.

arrigob

Reaction score
Yea same here. I get about 36 hours myself on average. With really heavy use I can drain it 12 hours. I used to use those task killers and got pretty bad battery life. Found a few threads saying not to use them to improve my battery life. I stopped using them 6 months ago and my phone runs better and my battery last longer. I don't know if that will help you but it helps me, im also not rooted either.

OP
T

t4k

Reaction score
Went to the Verizon store and they told me to charge the battery to 100% and bring it back in and they would put it on a machine. If the machine gave a green light it is a good battery, a red light means a bad one. I will be doing this tomorrow to find out what's going on.

OP
T

t4k

Reaction score
battery stats

this morning, my stats are a little different

Juice defender is x2.29 which is good
battery is being drained by
display 38%
Phone idle 27%
cell standby 22%
android system 7%
com.motorola.home 2%
text message 2%

that's it on my battery stats screen. does that sound ok?

Reaction score
the breakdown seems to be pretty normal. smartphones in general have horrible battery life. at the end of the day, the question is, does your battery last long enough for you to do what you want? don't use other's battery life as a barometer for yours.

the scenario you laid out in your first post sounded like the battery could possibly be bad, but a couple days doesn't seem like a long enough time to know for sure. just keep using it as normally as possible and see what they say at the store when you bring it in.