Battery life with UD 1.0

Tsip85

Reaction score
Just wanted to get an idea of what type of battery life some of y'all are seeing. Since I've been using UD 1.0, my battery life has been pretty bad. Now, I understand that I'm running more in the background than I was before, but it's still pretty bad. I have a few widgets running that are constantly updating (news/weather, youtube, market, facebook, espn), and I usually leave my GPS turned on. But, other than that, and checking texts and a few emails, my battery will be down to about 60% withing a couple of hours of me taking it off the charger. I'm fortunate enough to be able to keep it plugged into my computer during the day, and if I need, I'll plug it inot my car, but I'm worried about how long it will last if I'm outside all day.

Anybody else having similar issues? Those of you who run similar amounts of apps and widgets, but get better battery life, what kernel/settings are you using? I'm thinking about flashing a new kernel, but not sure which one would be best. Obviously I want the best fo both worlds...a snappier phone that conserves power. But I know you have to give a little to get a little...any ideas/ suggestions?

OP
T

Tsip85

Reaction score
When is the last time you recalibrated your battery?

That's the first time I've heard that mentioned, so I guess the answer would be never. How do I go about recalibrating the battery?

catpaws

Reaction score
Troubleshooting - CyanogenMod Wiki

This is from the cyanogenmod wiki, but applies to any rom. I'm assuming that you've already checked under battery use and made sure there's not some app causing battery drain. If it's not an app, then recalibration is the next thing I'd try.

vrdubin6

Reaction score
I might try this as well since my battery hasn't been very linear in the past month or so. It will seem to be doing great until it gets to about 30%-40% and then it rapidly decreases.

macdonaldj2

Reaction score
I am lucky to get 40% after 8 hours off the dock...and that is mostly screen off light gmail receiving...I have my SetCPU profile for screen off 400max/250min, and still 40% after 8 hours of pretty much nothing...isn't good...I have ShadowRom/LFY waiting to go if I can't figure this out

droid15

Reaction score
Hmm on ud 8 I had horrible battery life and it actually got better with ud 1.0 and ud 1.0 seems to be running a lot more smoothly for me.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
My battery life is absolutely excellent. Been running UD since about 2 days after release so. I will give you an example of today... 6am phone fully charged. played Angry Birds for 30 minutes, drove 45 min to work using bluetooth stereo headset to play music. Got to work, at 90%. Played Angry Birds for about 3 more hours on and off and at lunch. 30 min of phone calls and about 10 text messages. Took about 15 minuted changing icons. Battery life at 50%.
Plugged phone in. Fully charged and left work. again bluetooth stereo for 45min. Talk 20min and 3 text messages. Got home and played Angry Birds for about an hour and surfed the web for about 15 minutes. Now 11:17pm and battery is at 70%.

Basically, I charged it just cause I could and wasn't using it.

As far as my phone using resources goes.... I have Juice Defender and I run Beautiful Weather, Beautiful Wifi and Beautiful Bluetooth and PureGrid calendar widgets. Set the speed at 1000mhz ondemand and I do NOT use SetCPU, just UD's settings.

OP
T

Tsip85

Reaction score
Have you changed the Kernel, or are you using the stock Kernel? As far as that goes, I'm not sure what Kernel I currently have. The version under settings says 2.6.32.9_slayher.

My wife's phone is running UD8 and her kernel version number is the same, but it doesn't say slayher. It shows it's the stock kernel. What's the deal with that?

RafficaX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Make sure in ud menu it is set to ondemand and max and min freq. If that doesn't help disable ud overclocking and try using setcpu instead.

Also make sure your widgets are set to longer refreshes, if set to do to often it will drain ur battery to fast.

Sent from my Ultimate DROiD 1.0.0 using Tapatalk

macdonaldj2

Reaction score
Make sure in ud menu it is set to ondemand and max and min freq. If that doesn't help disable ud overclocking and try using setcpu instead.

Also make sure your widgets are set to longer refreshes, if set to do to often it will drain ur battery to fast.

Sent from my Ultimate DROiD 1.0.0 using Tapatalk

I think that was the reason why I was losing battery life, UD was over riding SetCPU and was keeping my phone always at 1250max/400min...but now that I think of it, my profile for 40% kicked in, and I also got a temp alert while on GPS the other day, so SetCPU must work at some point...now I am just confused

OP
T

Tsip85

Reaction score
Yesterday I turned off my GPS for a good period of time and my battery improved significantly. I guess that's the biggest juice hog I've got running. So, I guess I know to keep it off when I don't really need it, but I like to keep it on in case I happen to lose my phone. That way I can use lattitude or Where's My Droid to track it down.

vrdubin6

Reaction score
Troubleshooting - CyanogenMod Wiki

This is from the cyanogenmod wiki, but applies to any rom. I'm assuming that you've already checked under battery use and made sure there's not some app causing battery drain. If it's not an app, then recalibration is the next thing I'd try.

Boy I guess my battery calibration was bonkers haha. I used this method to recalibrate and the results are great.

Unplugged yesterday at 4pm (100%). I did a little texting and checked facebook a bit before leaving work(90%). I dont use it heavily in the evenings, but I did a few things here and there and played Angry Birds for a little bit before falling asleep (70%). Woke up (70%). Just got home for lunch and I used it the normal amount this morning at work. Moderate amount of texting and a little web surfing and then listened to music on the short drive home for grub (30%).

That is 20 hours and I still have 30% battery. Mind you at least 8 hours of that was sleeping, so 12 hours of actual use, but that is still pretty darn good in comparison to my usual battery life. I have always had roughly 10-12 hours with my average use on a work day. I figure if it lasts me another 2 hours before needing a charge that is a good 14-15 hours of linear discharge if you take the time I was sleeping out of the equation.