Battery life questions

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
What is H+ network? Considering your poor signal quality, I'd say it's normal.

Luici

Reaction score
I live in Finland, it´s finnish network sign. The razr maxx had same kind of signal, and the battery lasted alot better, so why maxx battery does not last longer. I tested this with Wi-fi, and the phone was dead after 6.5 hours, with full wi-fi signal.

E = EDGE (Enhanced Data Rates for Global Evolution)
H/ H+ = Is faster version of 3G. data from the network max. 21 Mbit/s or max. 42 Mbit/s

The network is bad because I work in warehouse, there is bad signal.

When I´m home the signal is full, but the battery drains sooo much faster that my razr maxx.

Luici

Reaction score
Could someone test their own Maxx for example with radio Tunein. Starting with full battery and post how much the phone has power left after 1 hour. With Wi-Fi or with your phones network. I would like to see the differences and compare those to my own maxx.

I´m very disappointed if the maxx battery really is as poor as it has shown to be. I love the phone but it´s useless to me with that kind of battery life and I need to take my Razr maxx back to use, theres a battery that still suprice me.

Luici

Reaction score
What is H+ network? Considering your poor signal quality, I'd say it's normal.

You are right, the bad signal killed my battery. I switched my network to use only GSM, and the signal is full all the time. And my battery does two times better than earlier.

galletta

Reaction score
Beware of Calibration Issues

Professor Foxcat has provided some evidence that the batteries are better kept at 80% maximum and 20% minimum. One caveat is that we don't know the actual calibration of what the phone calls 100% and 0%.

For instance, my Chevy Volt reports the number of miles, so in summer, when at full charge it says 41 miles. When it gets to 0 miles, I'm told it is actually at 15% of the remaining charge. I've read that will prevent electrical problems with the battery of some sort or other, which could cause serious harm to the battery.

Therefore, Moto might have the charger to indicate 0% left in the same way, when the battery is physically at 15%. In the same way, who's to say that they call 100% the physical maximum? If 80% would result in more battery life and even perhaps more safe operation, my guess is that they would stop charging and call it 100% at whatever level is best.

So I would not set an alarm to disconnect my phone at 80% or power it down at 20% without being sure of the top and bottom calibration limits. If they already have set 20% as what is reported as 0% and 80% as what is reported as 100%, then you'll actually be stopping the charging process at 64% (80% charged x 80% max) and powering down at 36% (100% minus 80% discharged x 80% discharged min). My math might not be correct but you get the idea.

doogald

Reaction score
So I would not set an alarm to disconnect my phone at 80% or power it down at 20% without being sure of the top and bottom calibration limits. If they already have set 20% as what is reported as 0% and 80% as what is reported as 100%, then you'll actually be stopping the charging process at 64% (80% charged x 80% max) and powering down at 36% (100% minus 80% discharged x 80% discharged min). My math might not be correct but you get the idea.

We know that the 0% level is deliberately set high to prevent bad things that happen when true zero is hit. It's very likely that the max is slightly lower than true max - again, because Li-ion can be very, very badly affected by high heat at full charge.

However, your scheme above is supposedly the perfect way to run a Li-ion battery. Try to prevent full discharges, try to avoid full charges, and you will get maximum life from your battery, because the stress of large charge cycles leads to fewer charge cycles over the life of the battery pack. See How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University for a great article about these issues, including the depth of discharge affect on the lifespan of a battery pack.